Chrysanthemum tea

Tisanes prepared from plants not belonging to the Camellia genus
mbanu

Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:35 pm

Noticed this didn't have a thread yet. I will admit, I don't know much at all about this style of herbal tea. Does anyone have any favorite types? Brewing tricks?

I know that Hangzhou is famous for white chrysanthemum, that Huangshan also is known for chrysanthemum, that there are sub-types like "snow chrysanthemum" or "wild chrysanthemum" (Flos chrysanthemi indici), and that in some places it is popular to mix with pu'er tea, while in others with goji berries. :)
mbanu

Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:34 pm

Another good one to know is "tai ju" (胎菊) which has the rather unappealing translation "fetal chrysanthemum", but is often instead called "baby chrysanthemum". That is chrysanthemum where the buds haven't opened yet. It is contrasted with "gong ju" (贡菊) where the buds have already opened. :) Are these just regional differences, or will one region offer both styles?

*Edit: It looks like "gong ju" may be the name of a regional chrysanthemum that uses this style. The term for using already-opened buds in general seems to be duo ju (朵菊)?