Herbal teas

Tisanes prepared from plants not belonging to the Camellia genus
ChihuahuaTea

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:04 am

Do many of you enjoy herbal teas, or is that a somewhat taboo topic, like quartz watches, fused structured suits, cemented rubber sole shoes, and pre-tied bow ties?

When looking for a lighter or different type of fix, Do you simply prefer a lighter version of an actual tea, or is an herbal tea your go to?

Thanks
debunix

Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:02 am

Commercial herbal blends were my gateway to Camillia sinensis, and while I now I am more likely to continue with some infusions of a naturally lower caffeine tea (e.g., Kukicha) or continuing with extra infusions of a C sinensis tea where I figure I've already got most of the caffeine out, I still do various herbal and spice blends from time to time. I no longer buy commercial blends because I have enjoyed making my own from the base herbs and spices to match my whim at the time I prepare them. But that's my own obsessiveness in the kitchen and not for everyone!
Baisao

Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:09 pm

I generally avoid tissanes and flavored teas because I simply do not like them.

However, I’ve been drinking sparkling hop teas and enjoy them very much. Some have green or black tea added to them but these are less interesting. My favorite has been a seasonal hop tea with a bit of juniper added to it to play off the pine notes of the hops used. It’s absolutely superb.

I’m going to experiment with making my own and expect there to be a steeper learning curve than I initially thought.
debunix

Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:35 pm

Hops as in hops for beer?
Baisao

Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:33 pm

debunix wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:35 pm
Hops as in hops for beer?
Yes, m’am!

https://hoplark.com/pages/hops#hops-profiles

I made my first batch tonight and have to say it is a winner. It needs a low alpha acid hop flower or it’ll be too bitter. But it is nice and refreshing on these 104° days. Hops also have a relaxing sensation so it’s nice before bed.

The Citra Hop in the link above is my favorite of the 5 I’ve tried from Hoplark and others. Could use some juniper though to tie in with the pine/lime notes.
ChihuahuaTea

Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:29 pm

I tried a habiscus with Hawaiian fruits.
I actually liked it, as it had a nice flavor and was refreshing and felt hydrating.
It only got 2 or 3 steeps out of it. Flavor was also strong, like a flavor burst.

Didn’t really remind me of tea, but in terms of a water substitute in the afternoon it was enjoyable.

I guess a comparison would be like a cologne that has a big bokd aroma bomb out of the gate, but no longevity, and not a lot of subtlety or nuance as it develops. Good for that role if that’s what one is looking for, but lacking a lot of the nuance that aficionados seek out.