What Herbal Are You Drinking

Tisanes prepared from plants not belonging to the Camellia genus
LeoFox

Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:50 pm

debunix wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:44 pm
Beautiful. The blend is interesting: I’m trying to imagine the taste and thinking of rose water added to cinnamon in a rice pudding: if the floral and spice are delicately handled, should be as fine a taste as it is a fine vision.
I think I should have added 1 less slice of ginger. The ginger was slightly overpowering the other components as steeps progressed. But overall it was nice!
Victoria
Admin

Tue May 11, 2021 9:26 pm

I’ve been boiling a lot of ginger root and mixing the extract with some dried mint leaves, and sometimes adding a splash of lemon or blood orange. Ginger very quickly settles the stomach from nausea. Day two, I ran out of fresh mint leaves that I dried from my local farmers market, so I grabbed organic peppermint tea bags from Germany that I happen to have. Smelled pretty good, 1st steep tasted ok, but a real problem is the amount of tea dust coming through the teabag because the particles are so fine. Seriously, can’t remember ever seeing so much dust, except when matcha is mixed in with sencha in some of O-cha’s and Kagoshima Seicha’s high quality sencha teabags that are nice for grab-and-go. In the future I’ll be more careful -when and if- I get herbal teas in bags, that dust is spent after one dunk, and then is just like dead dust.
Victoria
Admin

Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:14 pm

Wow, I just steeped some Hydrangea leaf that @debunix recommended. I couldn’t remember why it was recommended, but was curious so got some. The dark twisted leaf looks nice, and they have a subtle pleasant aroma. On the canister steeping recommendation is .5g/12-15oz (340-425ml)/200f/3-4 minutes. I though hmm must be a typo, so I used 1.2g/140ml/200f/3.5 minutes :shock: this is super sweet! Added at least 300ml of water, and it’s pretty tasty now, and I remember why debunix recommended this tisane - because it can be used as a sugar substitute with other roots and herbs. This is probably the best alternative sweetener I’ve tried. Now I’m curious what persimmon leaf and mulberry leaf taste like from the same Korean company, Hankook Tea Store.
debunix

Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:39 pm

Yulan Magnolia blossom tea, floral, spicy, citrusy, very nice, grandpa style in a Shyrabbit chawan.
IMG_2522.jpg
IMG_2522.jpg (171.36 KiB) Viewed 74 times