First Time Brewing Loose Leaf Tips?

Oxidized tea
Symb0lic

Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:06 am

Hello tea drinkers,

Recently I have begun my tea journey and would like to know some tips when brewing. My main method right now as a beginner is a version of Gong Fu Cha where after boiling the water, I let the leaves steep directly in the pot for around 2-5 minutes, (depending on the tea of course) and afterwards taking out the filter of the pot, and setting it in a glass container for the next brew, then pouring the tea from the pot to a final cup/mug. With this in mind I would like to be able to extract as much flavor and body as possible. Any Ideas on what might enhance or enrich those properties?

I used to do this method with tea bags but instead of a tea pot, I used a glass pitcher with a lid, and then did the same with the bags. Would either of these be considered "GFC" since the final cups never have the leaves/bags sitting in water?
teatray

Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:56 am

Symb0lic wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:06 am
Hello tea drinkers,

Recently I have begun my tea journey and would like to know some tips when brewing. My main method right now as a beginner is a version of Gong Fu Cha where after boiling the water, I let the leaves steep directly in the pot for around 2-5 minutes, (depending on the tea of course) and afterwards taking out the filter of the pot, and setting it in a glass container for the next brew, then pouring the tea from the pot to a final cup/mug. With this in mind I would like to be able to extract as much flavor and body as possible. Any Ideas on what might enhance or enrich those properties?

I used to do this method with tea bags but instead of a tea pot, I used a glass pitcher with a lid, and then did the same with the bags. Would either of these be considered "GFC" since the final cups never have the leaves/bags sitting in water?
What type of tea are you brewing at what temp & what dry leaf weight vs volume of water? I understand GFC to mean brewing at high leaf-to-water ratios, beginning with relatively short steeps (a few seconds for some teas) in a pot/gaiwan without removable filter & such, though there are other devices sold as GFC-makers, so I guess the distinguishing features are ratio & more resteeps in one sense, and a whole lot of other things connected to technique/tradition in a second sense. Not knowing what tea you are brewing, it's difficult to give any tips. My best tip might be: don't GFC (e.g. if it's a standard black tea).
Victoria
Admin

Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:31 pm

Steeping parameters vary depending on the black, regional standards from which the tea is produced in, and your own preference. Some blacks can take off boiling heat, others do better with cooler temps. and some can be steeped a variety of ways. For instance, this morning I’m enjoying @Ethan Kurland Himalayan Orange steeping at 7.5g/250ml/195f/3min and it is perfect this way. Other times I’ve used 4g/100ml/195f/45sec and it was also very good that way as described here.

P.S. Rereading your original post though I’m not really understanding your question. Maybe you are just looking for a definition of gongfucha. Kyarazen has written a few articles on various gongfucha methods depending on the region, Chaozhou/Anxi/Taiwan etc you might find these interesting as a reference https://www.kyarazen.com/articles/tea/page/2/
Symb0lic

Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:22 pm

Victoria wrote:
Steeping parameters vary depending on the black, regional standards that the tea is produced in, and your own preference. Some blacks can take off boiling heat, others do better with cooler temps. and some can be steeped a variety of ways.

P.S. Rereading your original post though I’m not really understanding your question. Maybe you are just looking for a definition of gongfucha.
teatray wrote:
What type of tea are you brewing at what temp & what dry leaf weight vs volume of water?
Yeah I guess you're both closer to what I was thinking after I wrote the last passage. Since this is pretty much my first time doing this, I looked around and bought two small cans of leaves. One Earl Grey, the other Herbal. I'm asking about the Earl, (Twinings). with a leaf : water ratio of 5g : 250ml @ boiling temp.

After the first "cup" I used the same leaves again but instead left it to steep for 3m instead of 5 the last time.
teatray

Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:29 am

Symb0lic wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:22 pm
Victoria wrote:
Steeping parameters vary depending on the black, regional standards that the tea is produced in, and your own preference. Some blacks can take off boiling heat, others do better with cooler temps. and some can be steeped a variety of ways.

P.S. Rereading your original post though I’m not really understanding your question. Maybe you are just looking for a definition of gongfucha.
teatray wrote:
What type of tea are you brewing at what temp & what dry leaf weight vs volume of water?
Yeah I guess you're both closer to what I was thinking after I wrote the last passage. Since this is pretty much my first time doing this, I looked around and bought two small cans of leaves. One Earl Grey, the other Herbal. I'm asking about the Earl, (Twinings). with a leaf : water ratio of 5g : 250ml @ boiling temp.

After the first "cup" I used the same leaves again but instead left it to steep for 3m instead of 5 the last time.
I'd call 5g/250ml@5min western-style brewing with a strong leaf ratio. I'd brew this tea western-style, too, but maybe I'd personally like it more with less leaf a bit less time (in preheated teapot). The important thing is to experiment & find what's best for you, also trying what may at first seem counterintuitive, e.g. tea is a bit flat & boring, but you still *decrease* leaf ratio (or brewing time). If it gets better, you'll get a feel for how bitterness & astringency can flatten everything else (or enhance it, if they're *just* right).
TeaLoverJuang

Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:53 pm

Hello!

Your method of brewing tea based on Gong Fu Cha already looks interesting and quite profound. However, there are some ideas that can enrich the flavor and body of the tea, especially when using this method.
  • Try the "Torn Leaves": Instead of pulling out the leaves or tea bags after brewing, try "loose leaf" tea. This means that you can let the leaves float in the water while drinking. This will allow the tea to open up even more, and you'll taste the flavor nuances in every slip.

Change the water temperature: Experience flavor differences by using water of different temperatures. Some teas bring out their true flavor at different temperatures, and experimenting with this can lead to the discovery of new flavor nuances.

Play with the brewing time: Try increasing or decreasing the brewing time and watch how the flavor changes. This can lead to discovering different aspects of the tea's aroma and flavor.
Regarding the question of whether your method can be considered "GFC" when using tea bags and a pitcher - it is important to keep in mind that Gong Fu Cha is usually associated with traditional teapots and special vessels. However, your pitcher and teabag method can certainly provide a similar experience, especially if you prefer this method. The main thing is your personal comfort and enjoyment of tea drinking!!!!