Req. assistance from tea experts (B/Tea: Darjeeling)!!

Oxidized tea
pedant
Admin

Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:08 pm

GaoShan wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:50 pm
It turns out that you can't stack coupons, at least for this sale. However, I got a nice selection of FF and SF Darjeelings for around US$100. Looking forward to the Arya and Castleton offerings!
i'm only aware of SECF23, but it is possible to get more savings if you're a repeat customer. like your account status upgrades the more you spend over your account's lifetime. eventually you get a flat % off that might stack with coupons (if available), and that % depends on your tier. like look at their "VIP" program or whatever.
Teafortea

Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:35 am

Yay thx for your reminder. I received the email while travelling and then forgot when I got home. I just did an order🤩. I finished all their darjs and Hojo's darj so this was perfect timing.
GaoShan

Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:00 pm

I'm drinking a sample of Castleton Vintage Premium FTGFOP1 (CH) First Flush that I got in my last order (150 ml/180F/2.5, 4, 6 minutes). It's very smooth, with some green FF characteristics. It has some honey, nuttiness, and citrus, but I don't get the advertised florals. I'd say this is a good tea, but it didn't blow me away. Starting at 3 minutes made the tea too astringent for my liking.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:10 pm

GaoShan wrote:
I'm drinking a sample of Castleton Vintage Premium FTGFOP1 (CH) First Flush that I got in my last order (150 ml/180F/2.5, 4, 6 minutes). It's very smooth, with some green FF characteristics. It has some honey, nuttiness, and citrus, but I don't get the advertised florals. I'd say this is a good tea, but it didn't blow me away. Starting at 3 minutes made the tea too astringent for my liking.
Agree, my orders from 2023 FF & SF we good but not as great as past years. Highest quality wasn’t available due to climate and labour.
GaoShan

Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:04 pm

Victoria wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:10 pm
GaoShan wrote:
Agree, my orders from 2023 FF & SF we good but not as great as past years. Highest quality wasn’t available due to climate and labour.
That's unfortunate. I was hoping their other teas would be better since this is one of their lower-priced offerings.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:07 am

I’m enjoying this morning Thunderbolts black FF 2003 Turzum Basant Blossom that is also moderately priced. It’s pretty nice steeped at 2.5g/100ml175F/3.5 min using low mineral count water.
GaoShan

Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:49 pm

Thunderbolt has redeemed itself for me with their Margaret's Hope Premier Moonlight. I've had it twice now and it's excellent. I used 3 g of leaf in 150 ml of water, with slightly shorter steeping times for the second session (2.5/3.5/5/7 minutes) and 175F water. I get a nice white chocolate and vanilla scent from the dry leaf as advertised by the vendor. The tea is incredibly complex, with honey, pine sap, heady spring flowers, and lots of fruit (citrus, mango, apricot, other things I can't identify). There's not much astringency when steeped at this temperature. It kind of reminds me of a floral IPA. I'm impressed that it's so good a year after picking.
Victoria
Admin

Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:28 pm

GaoShan wrote:
Thunderbolt has redeemed itself for me with their Margaret's Hope Premier Moonlight. I've had it twice now and it's excellent. I used 3 g of leaf in 150 ml of water, with slightly shorter steeping times for the second session (2.5/3.5/5/7 minutes) and 175F water. I get a nice white chocolate and vanilla scent from the dry leaf as advertised by the vendor. The tea is incredibly complex, with honey, pine sap, heady spring flowers, and lots of fruit (citrus, mango, apricot, other things I can't identify). There's not much astringency when steeped at this temperature. It kind of reminds me of a floral IPA. I'm impressed that it's so good a year after picking.
Yes, Margaret's Hope Premier Moonlight FF is really good, as well as Castleton Moonlight Imperial (excellent) but unfortunately it was not available in 2023 when we placed our order. Margaret’s Hope I’ve been steeping at 6g/240ml/180f/3.5 min in porcelain. Agree cooler temps work better with FF.
GaoShan

Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:33 am

Victoria wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:28 pm
GaoShan wrote:
Yes, Margaret's Hope Premier Moonlight FF is really good, as well as Castleton Moonlight Imperial (excellent) but unfortunately it was not available in 2023 when we placed our order. Margaret’s Hope I’ve been steeping at 6g/240ml/180f/3.5 min in porcelain. Agree cooler temps work better with FF.
Following your recommendations, I'll try a bit more leaf in my 150 ml pot. I'm worried that might increase the astringency, but it's worth investigating. I wanted to try the Arya Pearl, but it was sold out.

Do you have any recommendations on optimizing their discounts? All my thunder points have expired, and I think it might have been better to register in the spring rather than in August.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:18 pm

GaoShan wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:33 am
Do you have any recommendations on optimizing their discounts? All my thunder points have expired, and I think it might have been better to register in the spring rather than in August.
Doing a large order helps with points, we typically do group buys, which last time lead to my becoming a Gold Star member and getting an additional 40-50% off certain teas. Not sure what being a Gold Star member really does, or if it last into the next year.
tolean

Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:07 am

We forgot from what it started :) . I am not a big conoser of Darjeeling but I can tell you for sure to play with different waters. Water is very important and even more important for long steeping time. Maybe the teas are ok but the water does not open them. Good luck in your search!
GaoShan

Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:48 am

tolean wrote:
We forgot from what it started :) . I am not a big conoser of Darjeeling but I can tell you for sure to play with different waters. Water is very important and even more important for long steeping time. Maybe the teas are ok but the water does not open them. Good luck in your search!
Thanks! I've been thinking about playing with water for a while. I'm not sure what's available at my local grocery store. I'll have to look at the water thread to see which TDS I should be aiming for.

The reasons I haven't tried to switch my water are 1) it can get expensive if you find a water you like; 2) it generates a lot of plastic waste; and 3) Toronto water isn't supposed to be that bad. Still worth a try, though. :)
tolean

Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:45 pm

GaoShan wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:48 am
tolean wrote:
Thanks! I've been thinking about playing with water for a while. I'm not sure what's available at my local grocery store. I'll have to look at the water thread to see which TDS I should be aiming for.

The reasons I haven't tried to switch my water are 1) it can get expensive if you find a water you like; 2) it generates a lot of plastic waste; and 3) Toronto water isn't supposed to be that bad. Still worth a try, though. :)
Yes, good idea to check the water thread. Good water and good water for tea may not always be the same thing. Anyways the other points are also valid. Everyone have their own understanding of what can and can not be done to achieve your best tea :)
Good luck!