Req. assistance from tea experts (B/Tea: Darjeeling)!!

Oxidized tea
bmninada

Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:44 pm

I was born, brought up and spent my formative years in Calcutta (now Kolkata) West Bengal, India. All my childhood as and when tea was brewed I remember that distinct aroma of fresh Darjeeling tea floating into my nostrils. Every sip I took had that aroma. Post drinking a cup, I was left with a subtle feeling in my mouth, coupled with some notes of the fragrance.

I have moved into USA -> which is a land of coffee drinkers. Went thru almost all the boutique type of stores here in NY/NJ area and each time left disappointed. Paid premium in USD and the sales guys said it's the best there is -> but it was mostly BS.

Thus I ask here. There are so many lovely tea estates but Google is of no help. I am looking for exclusively Darjeeling tea which I want to brew for 4 to 5 min at 90 to 95C. Then I want to pour into a cap and be wowed due to its aroma. Sadly - I am missing it, desperately. Any assistance and guidance - highly appreciated.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:23 pm

@bmninada Welcome to TeaForum. Not sure if this new thread should be under Black tea since there is White, Green, Ooolong, Black Darjeeling… Do you know which you preferred and are asking about? Several of us here at TeaForum really appreciate Thunderbolt Teas based in Darjeeling. You can read reviews here in the Vendor Discussion & Recommendation forum, Thunderbolt Teas. I really look forward to their best First Flush Whites every Spring.
bmninada

Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:26 am

Victoria wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:23 pm
bmninada Welcome to TeaForum. Not sure if this new thread should be under Black tea since there is White, Green, Ooolong, Black Darjeeling… Do you know which you preferred and are asking about? Several of us here at TeaForum really appreciate Thunderbolt Teas based in Darjeeling. You can read reviews here in the Vendor Discussion & Recommendation forum, Thunderbolt Teas. I really look forward to their best First Flush Whites every Spring.
Black Darjeeling please.

I did write to Thunderbolt Teas also. Yesterday.
LeoFox

Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:42 pm

bmninada wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:44 pm
I was born, brought up and spent my formative years in Calcutta (now Kolkata) West Bengal, India. All my childhood as and when tea was brewed I remember that distinct aroma of fresh Darjeeling tea floating into my nostrils. Every sip I took had that aroma. Post drinking a cup, I was left with a subtle feeling in my mouth, coupled with some notes of the fragrance.

I have moved into USA -> which is a land of coffee drinkers. Went thru almost all the boutique type of stores here in NY/NJ area and each time left disappointed. Paid premium in USD and the sales guys said it's the best there is -> but it was mostly BS.

Thus I ask here. There are so many lovely tea estates but Google is of no help. I am looking for exclusively Darjeeling tea which I want to brew for 4 to 5 min at 90 to 95C. Then I want to pour into a cap and be wowed due to its aroma. Sadly - I am missing it, desperately. Any assistance and guidance - highly appreciated.
Remembering this from childhood? The first flush style is relatively new. Maybe try a second flush or autumn flush
rdl

Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:43 pm

I certainly hope you rediscover the flavor, comfort and warmth and I apologize I don't have a suggestion for you
But as a quest, yours has so many variables, so often the search uncovers new meaning, rather than fulfill old desires, I think of two setbacks to your search:
As Thomas Wolfe wrote "You Can't Go Home Again," and another issue is that time just changes things:
https://www.outlookindia.com/magazine/s ... oma/300400
That said, I do hope others can get you closer to your goal of finding the right tea. Wouldn't it be nice to be shown how incorrect I could be.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:52 pm

Welcome to Teaforum bmni Others have written that you might avoid centering your search on specifics. I will give you an example:
Long ago I luckily tasted a wonderful tea that was grown & processed in Nepal. It had the best characteristics of superior Darjeeling tea. It was the favorite Darjeeling of many people who tried it. Many were surprised to learn that the leaves were from a summer harvest. The producer Jun Chiyabari did not match this "vintage" (my word not theirs, nor vendors who sold it) for years. Jun Chiyabari did sell excellent teas of a Darjeeling feel & taste, but none were close to perfectly duplicating the vintage summer black that I & others loved (at least for a few years when I had sampled many). In Massachusetts customers of Upton Tea & Teatrekkers were disappointed as they bought the "same" tea for those years & other "similar" offerings of Jun Chiyabari. (Teatrekkers went out of business. soon after that.)

I abandoned the quest of a few years. However, about a decade later a white tea from Nepal came very, very close to the tea that I had loved. I don't think that white tea was a summer harvest. I know it was not a black tea. Nonetheless, it was pretty much what I had been searching for. Yet, the white was also less special to me because when I had lucked into that tasty black tea from Nepal, I had not yet found wonderful tea from Taiwan. The black could not have seemed so special to me once it becomes one of the best instead of "the best".

I would also say, you need not keep to your parameters so strictly. I steeped that white tea in water that was about 92C for 20 - 30 seconds to taste like the beloved black that I think I had steeped for about a minute at 96C.

I think I have not obtained that white tea for a couple of years. Perhaps it is time to get some again. Cheers
Teafortea

Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:48 am

rdl wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:43 pm
I certainly hope you rediscover the flavor, comfort and warmth and I apologize I don't have a suggestion for you
But as a quest, yours has so many variables, so often the search uncovers new meaning, rather than fulfill old desires, I think of two setbacks to your search:
As Thomas Wolfe wrote "You Can't Go Home Again," and another issue is that time just changes things:
https://www.outlookindia.com/magazine/s ... oma/300400
That said, I do hope others can get you closer to your goal of finding the right tea. Wouldn't it be nice to be shown how incorrect I could be.
My favorite book!!!
Thundercleese

Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:26 pm

I've had good luck buying Darjeeling from Jay Shree. Halmari and Darjeeling Tea Leaves are also on the list but I haven't grabbed anything from them.
Teafortea

Fri May 26, 2023 4:27 am

Second order from Thunderbolt. I have been enjoying his teas so much lately. Best quality out there for Darjeelings. To think that I had given up on this variety...Thanks @Victoria for introducing me to them.

Happy tea drinker today :).
Attachments
Screenshot_20230526-112829_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230526-112829_Gallery.jpg (159.34 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
Victoria
Admin

Fri May 26, 2023 2:34 pm

Teafortea wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 4:27 am
Second order from Thunderbolt. I have been enjoying his teas so much lately. Best quality out there for Darjeelings. To think that I had given up on this variety...Thanks @Victoria for introducing me to them.
Nice to hear this. Is this your second first flush order this year? Wait I see second flush in your packaging. Already? Oh i see it’s last years…
Teafortea

Fri May 26, 2023 3:18 pm

These are all from last year 2nd flush. The turzum himalayan is my top favorite one these days for my breakfast so I ordered some more 😅. The new flush have just posted today I think.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:43 pm

Thunderbolt is having a special 7 day sale right now for members who are on their mailing list, 40% off FF, 55% off Second Flush. Code SECF23 applied at checkout. Did a big order 🍃.
GaoShan

Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:07 pm

Victoria wrote:
Thunderbolt is having a special 7 day sale right now for members who are on their mailing list, 40% off FF, 55% off Second Flush. Code SECF23 applied at checkout. Did a big order 🍃.
I've been curious about this vendor for a while, but their prices have been a big deterrent. I'm not on their mailing list, though I might join to take advantage of the sale. Is it possible to stack coupons?

Do you have any recommendations for their 2023 teas? I like SF Darjeelings and am open to a couple good first flushes as well.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:19 pm

GaoShan wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:07 pm
Victoria wrote:
I've been curious about this vendor for a while, but their prices have been a big deterrent. I'm not on their mailing list, though I might join to take advantage of the sale. Is it possible to stack coupons?

Do you have any recommendations for their 2023 teas? I like SF Darjeelings and am open to a couple good first flushes as well.
You fill your cart and discount is applied to all FF and Second Flush teas in cart. Availability of teas is more limited this year, no 2023 Castleton Moonlight Imperial unfortunately. I’ve enjoyed all of Thunderbolt teas, they are well curated. The most expensive ones are their top tier and pretty exceptional in my experience. Their descriptions are accurate so I’d start there. In terms of what is available this year in both FF and Second F; Margaret’s Hope, Castleton, and Araya are always very good Estates.
GaoShan

Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:50 pm

It turns out that you can't stack coupons, at least for this sale. However, I got a nice selection of FF and SF Darjeelings for around US$100. Looking forward to the Arya and Castleton offerings!