Tea Bags per mL

Oxidized tea
burbank
New user

Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:40 pm

Hello everyone,

I use tea bags for convenience -- PG Tips, Typhoo, or Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Tea. I usually a little make a little over 400ml at a time and use 3-4 tea bags, steeping for 4 minutes. My question is for those who use tea bags, how many do you use per "x" amount of water?

Thanks
Bourder

Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:11 am

That depends on the tea itself. For example, Lipton is very strong, I could easily make 2 or 3 cups (~225ml of water each) of tea with one bag. Dilmah, on the other hand, felt pretty weak. One cup was usually the limit when using just one bag. Other brands might be different. You have to try it yourself.
Using loose leaf i could usually get ~750ml of tea with 6 grams of dry tea leaves (some teas can go much longer). That would make for 8 grams of tea per 1000ml of water or 0.8g/100ml ratio of tea to water.
So, I wouldn't use more than 2 tea bags (which would probably amount for 3-5 grams of tea) for the amount of water that you use (400ml). Also, you could experiment with moving the teabags up-and-down so as to speed up (or shorten) the brewing process and avoid excessive bitterness.
Symb0lic

Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:19 am

Bourder wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:11 am
That depends on the tea itself. For example, Lipton is very strong, I could easily make 2 or 3 cups (~225ml of water each) of tea with one bag. Dilmah, on the other hand, felt pretty weak. One cup was usually the limit when using just one bag.
This for sure. When I first started drinking teas I started with Lipton and noticed that even after steeping just once, the water was practically black like coffee. I usually can get around 3 cups before it's too weak for me.