What Black Are You Drinking

Oxidized tea
debunix

Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:44 pm

I also ordered several of the greens but will be waiting a bit to open those because of a backlog of greens that are already open....
LeoFox

Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:04 pm

debunix wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:00 pm
Qihong Songzhen from Likou, Qimun, Anhui, via Daxue Jiadao. so lovely.

I had only tried Keemun along time ago when I was exploring Teas for the first time because I could no longer get my usual SeaDyke Ti Kuan Yin, at the time I had no idea about things like burying temperature and time and quantity of tea to get what I liked, especially with teas that are prone to bitterness. so my first encounters with it or a disaster, and it ended up going to the worm bin for compost.

Even though I learned better, and I've had some wonderful experiences with things like Ruby black, and Jin Jun Mei, I was a little wary when Ki Won shared this during a gathering of LA tea lovers last spring. I needn't have worried, because it was a remarkably fine tea.

This weekend I opened up my first order from Daxue Jiadao, and I've enjoyed a couple of sessions with this Qimen already. I am naturally infusing it my way, which means low leaf and lots of water, and the result is lovely amber liquor that is delicate fruity, floral, a little malty, and delicious.

you can see clearly how tiny and delicate the leaves are... visually appealing as well as very tasty.

mmmmm.
I concur this tea is eye popping good. When prepared at 5-6g/ 100 ml - i had the impression of those cherry filled chocolate bon bons - of the highest quality - or of a piece of dark chocolate paired with a good manhattan. The chocolate is actually quite subtle - and the aftertaste is exceptionally refreshing and sweet with (rosy?) Florals. Mine is from 2021
debunix

Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:57 pm

as I am reading this, I am sipping the last bit of a sample of 2022 Nilgiri Highland Black from Ketlee. it is completely unfair to compare this sample, which was delayed in opening and then sat open for a while before I finished it off today. Kettle tea is tasty, but now your post is making me long for the Keemun. maybe I'll have some while I'm making a chocolate dessert tonight.
OCTO

Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:43 am

Had some Black Tea before and during m a short road trip. Nice and clean.

IMG_6303.jpg
IMG_6303.jpg (123.6 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
IMG_6198.jpg
IMG_6198.jpg (191.73 KiB) Viewed 1512 times

Enjoying some brewed and boiled Liu Bao to end the night. Aromatic and calming.

IMG_6367.jpg
IMG_6367.jpg (159.06 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
IMG_6363.jpg
IMG_6363.jpg (185.89 KiB) Viewed 1512 times

Cheers!!
Iizuki

Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:33 am

OCTO wrote:

Is that some sort of brewing flask?
OCTO

Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:11 pm

Iizuki wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:33 am
OCTO wrote:

Is that some sort of brewing flask?
Yes it is.
LeoFox

Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:29 pm

Thanks to a very generous TF member, ive been given the opportunity to tour the DJ offerings of thunderbolt. Here are the first two ive tried. More to come

This one is a white -(lumping it together in the black topic)
Last edited by LeoFox on Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaoShan

Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:09 pm

@LeoFox, I've almost finished a 25 g pack of the Margaret's Hope Moonlight and am enjoying it, though you're right that the aromas are strong. I didn't get corn, but got some citrus and mango, kind of like a floral IPA. I'm steeping it at around 175F in 150 ml of water for 2.5/3.5/5/7 minutes. I'll have to look for the rose the next time I drink this tea.
LeoFox

Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:17 pm

Another two FF from thunderbolt.

Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:08 am

Wild Lapsang Souchong from Wuyi Origin: The flavor seems a blend of a few flavors, that I mind not being able to name because I am reviewing the tea. It is somewhat familiar to me though I cannot come up with a word for it. One can feel it is not wrong to connect this w/ what we think of as Lapsang Souchong's classic smoked taste; though that flavor is clearly not here directly & perhaps indirectly only mildly here. (I would not be surprised if others disagree w/ me on this.)

I like this tea very much. I imagine I will be enjoying this 1 or 2 X a week which =s excellence in my opinion.

Gaoshan bought this from Wuyi (& probably other members) so there is hope someone good at analysis of a tea's flavors may get posted eventually. This tea deserves it. I will add as I am halfway through drinking the second large cup of it, that like the white tea from Nepal which I also like very much & am drinking once or twice a week, this black tea won't suit everyone. As we know, some teas are far from suiting most drinkers even though they are special.

The second cup does introduce a medicinal note, camphor is the best word I can think of. So the 1st round is better than the 2nd, yet still enjoyable.
GaoShan

Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:16 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:08 am
Wild Lapsang Souchong from Wuyi Origin: The flavor seems a blend of a few flavors, that I mind not being able to name because I am reviewing the tea. It is somewhat familiar to me though I cannot come up with a word for it. One can feel it is not wrong to connect this w/ what we think of as Lapsang Souchong's classic smoked taste; though that flavor is clearly not here directly & perhaps indirectly only mildly here. (I would not be surprised if others disagree w/ me on this.)

I like this tea very much. I imagine I will be enjoying this 1 or 2 X a week which =s excellence in my opinion.

Gaoshan bought this from Wuyi (& probably other members) so there is hope someone good at analysis of a tea's flavors may get posted eventually. This tea deserves it. I will add as I am halfway through drinking the second large cup of it, that like the white tea from Nepal which I also like very much & am drinking once or twice a week, this black tea won't suit everyone. As we know, some teas are far from suiting most drinkers even though they are special.

The second cup does introduce a medicinal note, camphor is the best word I can think of. So the 1st round is better than the 2nd, yet still enjoyable.
I haven't had this tea in a while so my memory isn't that clear, but I recall it being very floral and fruity, with lemon, citrus, and maybe some cherry. It did have that honey/mineral/sweet potato/forest floor thing that I associate with good lapsang, so maybe those are some of the flavours you associate with the smoked variety? I can't say I've ever tasted any smoke in this tea. I've also always gongfued it, so I may have gotten a different impression.

Your note has made me want to open my 100 g bag of the 2023 harvest of this tea, but I have some hongcha I need to get to first, including yours!
LeoFox

Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:14 pm

Thunderbolt sf

Teafortea

Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:10 am

LeoFox wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:17 pm
Another two FF from thunderbolt.

Turzum was my favorite from all orders and unfortunately it's all gone :(
Darrel

Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:28 am

I don’t drink much black tea at home but got this Tongmu Charcoal Roast 2022 as a free sampler and it’s amazing! I wish I could put the aroma into words but it is very pleasant. Nice and smooth black tea. Happy Saturday

Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:41 pm

Darrel wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:28 am
I don’t drink much black tea at home but got this Tongmu Charcoal Roast 2022 as a free sampler and it’s amazing! I wish I could put the aroma into words but it is very pleasant. Nice and smooth black tea. Happy Saturday
Do you taste a black tea that had been roasted or do you taste a roasted tea that happens to be a black tea?
In other words, is the taste of roast dominant?

Cheers