What Black Are You Drinking

Oxidized tea
Janice

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:09 am

Back on the veranda. What I think of as chai is masala chai.
YatraTeaCo

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:41 pm

Janice wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:31 am
At home I don’t ordinarily drink black tea but .... when in Rome ..... Actually I’m in India, in Jaipur, so I’m having chai on the front terrace of our hotel. I expected a spiced tea but I’m very happy with the plain black tea steeped with milk that I was served.

The view from my seat:
Ooh I love Jaipur, have family that lives there. It has been ages since I visited, but perhaps the next time I visit India, this December hopefully.

Chai takes on a different meaning in India - it is basically strong black tea with milk and sugar. You'd have to specify masala chai if you wanted spiced tea! Enjoy your time in India!
Janice

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:52 pm

I should have realized that in India chai means tea. After that I began ordering masala chai. If I had known about the effect that black tea has on me I could have used it for all-night cream sessions when I was in school - not as useful on vacation.

Anyway, loved Jaipur and Agra but now we’re back in peaceful quiet Thailand.
chofmann
Vendor

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:01 pm

Janice wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:52 pm
I should have realized that in India chai means tea. After that I began ordering masala chai. If I had known about the effect that black tea has on me I could have used it for all-night cream sessions when I was in school - not as useful on vacation.

Anyway, loved Jaipur and Agra but now we’re back in peaceful quiet Thailand.
All-night cream sessions in school? Man... you had a good time in college. I mostly just crammed for exams.
Janice

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:25 am

Sometimes autocorrect makes a joke and sometimes an insult. This time it was a joke.
tealifehk
Vendor

Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:14 pm

Been drinking First Flush Darjeeling blacks and oolongs this week, as well as pre-Mingqian greens! Tried a Goomtee STFGOP tonight and WOW. So much going on with this tea. I had an Upper Namring harvested less than two weeks ago and it is significantly cheaper (FTGFOP1). Both are great, but I think I actually prefer the Upper Namring!

gatmcm

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:05 am

Recently bought a bit of Japanese black tea at a local store, benifuki strain, been drinking it constantly, seems to make me consistently teadrunk which I welcome :lol:
It tastes like a very smooth Assam with a lot of fruit notes without the sharpness some Indian teas seem to get, was a bit on the fence when buying because the japanese greens at that store aren't great but this was a winner, might pick up a bit more.

20180403_113632.jpg
20180403_113632.jpg (336.41 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:17 pm

That seems to be a pleasure. I like that particular fruitiness that sometimes comes in Assam. I get a bit of that from Ruby 21 which is a cultivar that is 1/2 Assam but not every session. I do not know why. I do know that in search of the smoothness etc. that you describe, I started using slightly lower temperature & quicker steeping. cheers
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:26 pm

Himalayan Orange (HOR) from Jun Chiyabari, Nepal:

As some of you may remember, I have been drinking & praising this tea for years. There were very few days that I did not drink it. However, I just returned to it, after taking a break of several weeks because I was not enjoying it as much as usual.

The situation seems to be that now I am enjoying a mellow experience when I drink & the HOR gives typical darjeeling flavors in a typical way, bold. This HOR is not in-your-face first flush.... but .... Fortunately, quick steeping will give me a mellow cup of tea with plenty of flavor. The first infusion is not truly aromatic but pleasing; the second has the aroma that is so alluring and pleasant; and, a third (which I had stopped making a couple of years ago) is worth drinking. My old friend and I are happily reunited. It holds its rightful place....