Simple iced tea

Oxidized tea
Neptune

Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:45 pm

Excellent. I'm glad that I'm already thinking fairly straight regarding your suggestions. Was looking for a gaiwan that's not too thick of maybe around 140ml, plain white porcelain. I've read elsewhere here to not go nuts on the expense with this. Was also going to get the fairness pitcher and at least one cup.

Got the gram scale covered; comes in handy for measuring different chemicals when building beer brewing water from the ground up (from R.O.). Love that little scale, and I agree that measurements are important for consistency!

Thanks again!

Now back to sifting through the vendor forum...
RayClem

Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:14 am

I spent 2/3rds of my life in the Commonwealth of Virginia where iced tea was a way of life. It was consumed even in the coldest months. I use loose leaf tea for brewing hot tea, but tea bags work well for iced tea. Here is my recipe.

Measure 4 cups of purified water (1 liter for those who use metric) into a pot and bring it to a full boil. I remove the pot from the heat and allow it to cool for a minute.

Add the following: 4 teabags of black tea, 2 teabags of green tea, and 2 teabags of Earl Grey tea. Allow the tea to steep for 5 minutes and then remove the tea bags.

If you like your iced tea sweetened, then add sugar to the hot tea. I find the mixture of black, green and Earl Grey teas makes for a flavorful mixture that is not too bitter or astringent, so sugar is not necessary.

I pour the strong tea into a 1/2 gallon (2 liter) container which to which I already have added cold water a little below the half-way mark. Once the strong tea has been mixed with the cold water, I top off the container with cold water and store in the refrigerator. Making the tea this way usually produces a very clear tea, not cloudy like some brewing methods. Of course, the tea is served over ice, preferably made from purified water.