What White Are You Drinking

Withered tea
Victoria
Admin

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:15 pm

Share what white tea you are drinking and feel free to illustrate your offering.
John_B

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:01 am

I was just drinking a compressed white tea at work, so I'll mention that to start in on posting.

It's nothing too standard, pressed in a candy bar sort of shape some teas are made in now, to facilitate breaking off one square.

The taste is decent. As with compressed whites in general it's on the mellow side, a bit rich, with a subtlety to it even when it's brewed strong enough to be a little intense. So that kind of amounts to a contradiction. I would probably use different flavors and feel description for this kind of tea at different times; it's not necessarily easy to pin down. I bought it at a local Bangkok Chinatown shop at what seemed a reasonable cost, and it's fine for that range of expectations, something different.

They said how old it was supposed to be, which might have made it into a review post, but who knows about the accuracy of such things in places like that. I'll mention a link comparing it with two other shou mei cakes and one compressed gong mei, as much to get in the habit of blog link spamming here as for information. But that really is kind of novel review content too, who does that, four-way compressed white tea reviewing:

http://teaintheancientworld.blogspot.co ... -shou.html

joelbct

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:28 am

Drinking Hojo's Gu Shu Yin Zhen. Has that quintessential succulent/mouthwatering melon essence of C sinensis flavor of high-quality white buds. Much more refined and elegant than some other Yunnan whites.

Hojo's blog post about this one: http://hojotea.com/en/posts-58/

I will add some photos tomorrow perhaps, although the aroma/taste/aftertaste of this one is more impressive than the appearance- unlike a few other inexpensive Yunnan whites I've tried where the reverse is true.
lac63

Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:50 pm

John_B wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:01 am
I was just drinking a compressed white tea at work, so I'll mention that to start in on posting.

It's nothing too standard, pressed in a candy bar sort of shape some teas are made in now, to facilitate breaking off one square.

The taste is decent. As with compressed whites in general it's on the mellow side, a bit rich, with a subtlety to it even when it's brewed strong enough to be a little intense. So that kind of amounts to a contradiction. I would probably use different flavors and feel description for this kind of tea at different times; it's not necessarily easy to pin down. I bought it at a local Bangkok Chinatown shop at what seemed a reasonable cost, and it's fine for that range of expectations, something different.

They said how old it was supposed to be, which might have made it into a review post, but who knows about the accuracy of such things in places like that. I'll mention a link comparing it with two other shou mei cakes and one compressed gong mei, as much to get in the habit of blog link spamming here as for information. But that really is kind of novel review content too, who does that, four-way compressed white tea reviewing:

http://teaintheancientworld.blogspot.co ... -shou.html

Hi John B,
I see your blog very illustrative and well explained,
a great job.

Thank you

Lluis Abad
gatmcm

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:39 am

Today I had some 2017 Azores white, the flavour reminds me of green grapes, its pretty sturdy I use boiling water and don't feel there is any bitterness there to extract and at high temps the body feels fuller.

white.jpg
white.jpg (271.55 KiB) Viewed 19475 times
Victoria
Admin

Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:14 pm

gatmcm wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:39 am
Today I had some 2017 Azores white, the flavour reminds me of green grapes, its pretty sturdy I use boiling water and don't feel there is any bitterness there to extract and at high temps the body feels fuller.
Those leaves look big and so thick that they can handle boiling water. Tea plantations in the Azores, yet another reason for me to want to visit. I designed a house in Barcelona with the client requesting inspiration from Azores dwellings built into volcanic hillsides, all curves, no corners. What a beautiful island. Where did you get your Azores tea?
gatmcm

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:55 pm

Victoria wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Those leaves look big and so thick that they can handle boiling water. Tea plantations in the Azores, yet another reason for me to want to visit. I designed a house in Barcelona with the client requesting inspiration from Azores dwellings built into volcanic hillsides, all curves, no corners. What a beautiful island. Where did you get your Azores tea?
The Azores islands are beautiful, green everywhere since it's always raining, went there twice already and wholly recommend it. I got the tea at a store in Lisbon, Companhia Portugueza do Chá, they are the only place that sells this tea to my knowledge, it's a small production not from a big estate like Gorreana so there isn't a lot available each year.

Here's a video on the Gorreana estate, it's in Portuguese but there is some nice footage of the estate and the surroundings :D

Victoria
Admin

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:05 pm

gatmcm wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:55 pm
Here's a video on the Gorreana estate, it's in Portuguese but there is some nice footage of the estate and the surroundings :D
falo português :) , obrigado por compartilhar. um lugar tão lindo 🍃
debunix

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:43 am

Bai Mu Dan from a 2017 Competition tasting sample set from TeaHabitat. Delightful floral and delicately fruity--white peach rather than yellow peach--despite being brewed in Kamjove device and being drunk from a camp mug, with water of uncertain temperature. I should have kept the thermometer in my travel kitchen utensils box....
leth

Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:42 pm

I just got home from a friends place, where my friend served Yue Guang Bai. It was amasing. I haven't had white tea in quite som time and now I just realised why I used to Love them so much. It had an amazing Cha Qi even though it wasn't very well aged. It had started to age but wasn't that old yet. It was just such a fantastic tea.
century

Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:57 pm

Feng Qing "Silver Needles White Tea" Dragon Ball from YS. A wonderful white tea.
Sweet, light with a great mouth feel.
The Leaf quality is beautiful.
teafarer

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:38 pm

White2Tea's Turtle Dove.

I love this tea. Flowers & honey. Wonderful scent and taste. Bought a brick of it.

Only issue I have with it is trying to break the tea brick apart. It is highly compressed.
Ragamuffin
Artisan

Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:31 pm

White2Tea Bamboo Dove; very tasty, tastes aged despite being from 2017.
hopeofdawn

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:13 am

Currently drinking Taiwanteacraft's Red Jade white tea, which is a bit unusual--it's a black tea varietal processed as a white tea. I really enjoy it--it's not as astringent as some of the other white teas I've tried, which makes it a nice early morning tea to wake up my palate. On the downside, three steeps seems to be about its max--there's not much flavor left after that.
debunix

Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:07 pm

Fu Ding Bai Hao Yin Zhen from Jing Tea Shop. One of those moments when the tea and setting come together and make you wonder why you ever drink anything else? Floral, a little fruity, delicate, and a certain substance that comes with a bit more age. Fine stuff.

Prepared in a Petr-yaki shino chawan, enjoyed from an Iga-yaki cup