The best white tea to try

Withered tea
Konrud

Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:21 am

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested to know the top 5 white teas to try.

Please write your top 5 (it might be both aged and fresh tea, just please note which one)
and I'll try to keep the edited top 5 from all the answers here.

Just please write the full name of the tea,
whether it's aged or not, and a website that this very tea can be bought from (if applicable).

The list should go in descending order:
5.) Good
4.) Good+
3.) Even better
2.) Great
1.) The Best tea

------------------------------------------------

Live top 5

5.) -||-

4.) -||-

3.) -||-

2.) -||-

1.) -||-

------------------------------------------------

Thank you.
mbanu

Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:59 am

I think a ranked list might be based on a misunderstanding about tea. Even though a tea has the same name, it is a different tea every year, and doesn't stay the same after it is made. It's sort of like fish in that way. If someone asked for a list of the best trout to try before they die, and someone said, "A big one with a weird scar that I caught in 1985, absolutely delicious", even if they'd dried part of it, the way that fish tasted in 1985 can't really be replicated. They could point you to where they caught it back then, but that won't necessarily mean you will get the same experience they did.

Related to this, the setting of a tea often has something to do with the enjoyment, because tea is a kind of collaboration. If you change the setting, the tea will also change. A common way people discover this is when they have a tea that they enjoy drinking alone, and find it does not seem to work well at a party, or vice-versa. Maybe it is harder to get the brewing correct, or it does not lend itself to waiting for breaks in a conversation to drink.

So when trying to understand a tea and its drinkers, it is important to try to understand the whole picture together.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:24 am

mbanu wrote:
.... If someone asked for a list of the best trout to try before they die, and someone said, "A big one with a weird scar that I caught in 1985, absolutely delicious", even if they'd dried part of it, the way that fish tasted in 1985 can't really be replicated. They could point you to where they caught it back then, but that won't necessarily mean you will get the same experience they did.

Related to this, the setting of a tea often has something to do with the enjoyment, because tea is a kind of collaboration. If you change the setting, the tea will also change....
Wisdom expressed well. Thank you, mbanu.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:33 am

+1 this kind of lists are pretty pointless. We’d never be talking about the same teas or they wouldn’t be available to others.

Tea is much more complicated than a top ten list…
Bok
Vendor

Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:35 am

This is not to be derogatory or negative, what I mean is it’s best to avoid this kind of search as it’s mostly fomo and creates desires that can only end up in frustrations for you.

Be curious, sample widely and good teas will come to you.
tolean

Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:54 am

https://m.teavivre.com/product/view/fud ... -cake.html
Fuding White Tea Cake 100g

One of the best pressed white tea cakes i found. I had some more expensive, eco, bio etc... This one is the best price/quality i've found until now. Bought like 5 cakes to have it when it was on sale :)
Victoria
Admin

Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:46 pm

While I agree that tea varies season to season, year to year, a very good purveyor can manage to source the best of the season, while maintaining a very high standard, or choose not to source that season at all. I’m especially a fan of First Flush White Darjeeling sourced by Thunderbolt Teas out of Darjeeling. Sort of expensive (but not when compared to say Wuxi Yancha) but well worth the price. My current favorite whites for the last few years have been, in order of preference;

Castleton Moonlight Imperial
Margaret’s Hope Moonlight Tea

I’ve also had at our tastings here various compressed aged white teas that were very good but can’t remember their sources.

P.S. I see you have created similar ‘best’ topics for other teas. I recommend you spend some time reading through -What X Are You Drinking- and -Vendor Discussion & Recommendation- under the Tea forum.
teatray

Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:39 pm

While there's some wisdom in the critical replies above, I can't see what's wrong with sharing one's favs with proper context & perspective, understanding that there may be availability issues, seasonal variation, etc. The categories (esp. white/green) might be a bit broad, but heck, the Chinese have a traditional list of Ten Famous Teas among all tea (albeit limited to their country, but that's a small constraint in this context; also there's variation on what's included, so Wikipedia lists all 12 that are frequently mentioned).

But then again, proper context & perspective is hard to get. I suppose the majority of consumers just don't sample widely enough to have a true understanding even of their favorite regions. The favorite teas might depend too much on what vendors one knows (and doesn't) and how consistently they perform with this type of tea. People in the tea business on the other hand have inherently biased perspectives, even if they are honestly contributing. Much of the tea supply is shrouded in mystery... difficult teas to get, only if you have connections, very limited availability, keep it a secret, watch out for fakes, etc. etc. I'd much prefer transparency over mystery, but it is how it is. Whoever profits from it, it's not the farmers (if they're honest) nor the consumers. And it seems to make sharing lists more difficult... too bad.
Konrud

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:21 am

mbanu wrote:
I think a ranked list might be based on a misunderstanding about tea. Even though a tea has the same name, it is a different tea every year, and doesn't stay the same after it is made. It's sort of like fish in that way. If someone asked for a list of the best trout to try before they die, and someone said, "A big one with a weird scar that I caught in 1985, absolutely delicious", even if they'd dried part of it, the way that fish tasted in 1985 can't really be replicated. They could point you to where they caught it back then, but that won't necessarily mean you will get the same experience they did.

Related to this, the setting of a tea often has something to do with the enjoyment, because tea is a kind of collaboration. If you change the setting, the tea will also change. A common way people discover this is when they have a tea that they enjoy drinking alone, and find it does not seem to work well at a party, or vice-versa. Maybe it is harder to get the brewing correct, or it does not lend itself to waiting for breaks in a conversation to drink.

So when trying to understand a tea and its drinkers, it is important to try to understand the whole picture together.

I couldn't agree more.
This list is mainly created for reference by others (like myself).
To see what other people like/enjoy and maybe try similar teas to see if they fit one's taste too.

I think it might be used as a starting point as otherwise with all those names it's quite hard to understand where to start.
Konrud

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:23 am

tolean wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:54 am
https://m.teavivre.com/product/view/fud ... -cake.html
Fuding White Tea Cake 100g

One of the best pressed white tea cakes i found. I had some more expensive, eco, bio etc... This one is the best price/quality i've found until now. Bought like 5 cakes to have it when it was on sale :)
Great.
Thank you for your response.
Konrud

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:25 am

Victoria wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:46 pm
While I agree that tea varies season to season, year to year, a very good purveyor can manage to source the best of the season, while maintaining a very high standard, or choose not to source that season at all. I’m especially a fan of First Flush White Darjeeling sourced by Thunderbolt Teas out of Darjeeling. Sort of expensive (but not when compared to say Wuxi Yancha) but well worth the price. My current favorite whites for the last few years have been, in order of preference;

Castleton Moonlight Imperial
Margaret’s Hope Moonlight Tea

I’ve also had at our tastings here various compressed aged white teas that were very good but can’t remember their sources.

P.S. I see you have created similar ‘best’ topics for other teas. I recommend you spend some time reading through -What X Are You Drinking- and -Vendor Discussion & Recommendation- under the Tea forum.
Thank you for sharing the teas you've enjoyed.
Sure, I'll check those topics out.
Konrud

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:29 am

teatray wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:39 pm
While there's some wisdom in the critical replies above, I can't see what's wrong with sharing one's favs with proper context & perspective, understanding that there may be availability issues, seasonal variation, etc. The categories (esp. white/green) might be a bit broad, but heck, the Chinese have a traditional list of Ten Famous Teas among all tea (albeit limited to their country, but that's a small constraint in this context; also there's variation on what's included, so Wikipedia lists all 12 that are frequently mentioned).

But then again, proper context & perspective is hard to get. I suppose the majority of consumers just don't sample widely enough to have a true understanding even of their favorite regions. The favorite teas might depend too much on what vendors one knows (and doesn't) and how consistently they perform with this type of tea. People in the tea business on the other hand have inherently biased perspectives, even if they are honestly contributing. Much of the tea supply is shrouded in mystery... difficult teas to get, only if you have connections, very limited availability, keep it a secret, watch out for fakes, etc. etc. I'd much prefer transparency over mystery, but it is how it is. Whoever profits from it, it's not the farmers (if they're honest) nor the consumers. And it seems to make sharing lists more difficult... too bad.

Thank you for your answer and support.
As I've mentioned in the previous replies I've mostly created those lists
to help people (like me) to have a starting point, to build one's way upon others' experiences.
Konrud

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:30 am

Bok wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:35 am
This is not to be derogatory or negative, what I mean is it’s best to avoid this kind of search as it’s mostly fomo and creates desires that can only end up in frustrations for you.

Be curious, sample widely and good teas will come to you.
Thank you for your answer.
I've mostly created those lists to help people (like me) to have a starting point, to build one's way upon others' experiences.
It really helps, well at least for me it does.
debunix

Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:23 am

An Ji Bai Cha, no one best source (have had fine versions from Norbu, Jing Tea Shop, TeaHabitat, and Wing Hop Fung)

Bai Mu Dan, also no one best source
TeaLoverJuang

Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:34 pm

I would advise you to try Bai Mudan! It tastes like peony flowers, it's just something with something! Delicate, floral taste, not harsh, light and pleasant :P t.
I also read in the blog teajewel that it also improves skin condition and strengthens the immune system. And if there are doubts about the latter, then the former is true.
I've been drinking Bai Mudan every morning for the past month, and my skin has become more pleasant to the touch, my skin tone has evened out, and there are no inflammations.
Although my husband likes Silver Needle tea better - it's fresher and sweeter. So try different variations and you will find your tea:)
Last edited by Victoria on Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: removed link