Aged White Tea

Withered tea
debunix

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:51 pm

Interesting, particularly how he distinguishes flavor profiles to be expected when infused hot vs cold
hopeofdawn

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:21 pm

I actually just spent a good chunk of a vacation weekend at a new (to me) teashop in Portland, OR--Qi's Fine Teas (https://qifineteas.com/). They specialize in phoenix mountain teas and puerh. And despite not being a puerh drinker, I actually ended up taking home some of their Moon Light Beauty Raw puerh. The puerh is actually made out of white tea leaf--loose-piled for aging, rather than compressed--and had a very unique taste, with notes of melon and a lovely fragrance. According to the shop owner, as the tea ages, the melon notes and fragrance will gradually disappear, but the flavor will deepen and become more puerh-like. They also had a 12 year old compressed white that was also very nice, (tho I didn't bring any home).

As a side note, I definitely recommend the shop to anyone in the Portland area--Ivy and James know their stuff, and have a great selection of Jingdezhen teawares as well. Plus James is a chef and organic chemist, and is more than happy to teach anyone and everyone more about the chemistry of tea and what happens to it as it ages!

Also, an unconventional recommendation but the best white tea I've ever tasted, bar none, is the White Antlers tea from Malawi. It's actually made out of the tender spring stems of the plant, before it begins to leaf, and it is AMAZING. Sadly, it is also hard to obtain--the only consistent online vendor I've found that has it is What-cha Teas (https://what-cha.com/collections/white- ... 1694041143)
debunix

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:07 pm

Given the tastiness of Kukicha, I suppose it shouldn't be suprising that other tea stems can be quite tasty too!

Too much tea in the chest to order from WhatCha right now, but bookmarked for future adventuring.