What White Are You Drinking

Withered tea
swordofmytriumph

Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:50 am

Drinking a cold brew pressed white tea from Bitterleaf, the White Crow Shou mei from last year. Last year I got a sample of this tea and loved it so much I bought three cakes (I’ve never bought more than one cake of anything before, so that should speak to my opinion on this tea).

I dumped ten grams Into a 25oz glass container and let it steep overnight. It came out really good, I don’t get the full nuance of flavor, but the thick creamy mouthfeel makes up for that, it is much thicker than it is when I brew it hot. It’s hard to describe the flavor of this tea, it isn’t like any I’ve tried before, it has the flowery higher notes that I associate with white tea, but the depth of flavor and the big body that I associate with a black tea.

I think next time I try this I’m going to shock it with a couple seconds of boiling water then immediately pour the cold water on top, I think that might release more of the flavors.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:28 pm

swordofmytriumph wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:50 am
it isn’t like any I’ve tried before, it has the flowery higher notes that I associate with white tea, but the depth of flavor and the big body that I associate with a black tea.

I think next time I try this I’m going to shock it with a couple seconds of boiling water then immediately pour the cold water on top, I think that might release more of the flavors.
That's interesting to read. As you wrote, white tea is known to be light-bodied. In fact when I prepare mine, I am ready for lots of flavor without deep....
Look forward to the results of your giving the leaves a couple seconds of boiling water. Congratulations on going for the 3 cakes. I often wonder about the admiration for a tea written about followed by a comment that the next time that that person orders from the vendor who sold the tea to him, he will buy another sample! (Tea so good one will buy another sample, wow!) Cheers
swordofmytriumph

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:01 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:28 pm
That's interesting to read. As you wrote, white tea is known to be light-bodied. In fact when I prepare mine, I am ready for lots of flavor without deep....
This feature of the tea right here was why I ended up buying three cakes, almost on the spot, when I tasted it. My personal preferences tend toward the lower registry notes, so white tea has never been very satisfying for me. Like the flavor is there, but it’s missing its soul or something.

Interestingly, Yunnan Sourcing sells some pressed white tea that has been aged for a few years, and they claim that as it ages, it picks up more characteristics of black tea. Having drunk a pressed white, I can easily see how that would be true, and I really look forward to seeing how this tea develops in the next few years.