What White Are You Drinking

Withered tea
Flavor Hedonist

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:40 am

It's summer here in the Philippines and I can't enjoy my usual Puerh or Heicha due to the blistering heat. So, I cold brewed 10g of Billimai Winter Frost White from Nilgiri with 2g of cascade hop pellets to 1 liter of water to make a very refreshing drink. The cold brew concoction tasted of ripe Indian mangoes and jasmine flowers from the Nilgiri white tea accompanied by pine dankness and grapefruit from the cascade hops.
Victoria
Admin

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:05 pm

Flavor Hedonist wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:40 am
It's summer here in the Philippines and I can't enjoy my usual Puerh or Heicha due to the blistering heat. So, I cold brewed 10g of Billimai Winter Frost White from Nilgiri with 2g of cascade hop pellets to 1 liter of water to make a very refreshing drink. The cold brew concoction tasted of ripe Indian mangoes and jasmine flowers from the Nilgiri white tea accompanied by pine dankness and grapefruit from the cascade hops.
Interesting resulting flavor profile. Are you making beer with your hop pellets? I wonder if the more aromatic Noble hops are today doctored with added artificial ingredients, to highlight aroma and flavor of grapefruit, lemon, citrus, floral... or is it just the kind of hop plant used.
Flavor Hedonist

Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:18 am

Victoria wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:05 pm
Interesting resulting flavor profile. Are you making beer with your hop pellets? I wonder if the more aromatic Noble hops are today doctored with added artificial ingredients, to highlight aroma and flavor of grapefruit, lemon, citrus, floral... or is it just the kind of hop plant used.
Yes. I have made some beers before. :D I also made some dry-hopped kombucha. I just thought of adding another layer to the cold brewed tea as I had some hop pellets lying around.

I assume the hop pellets just get the different flavor profiles from certain strains and cultivars as do tea with their own strains and cultivars. However, I won't put it past anyone to manufacture flavored hop pellets to make a quick buck.