Different ways to brew WuYi YanCha... what’s your favourite?

Semi-oxidized tea

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:39 pm

@OCTO Would you mind elaborating on the slow boil method, or pointing me to a resource where I could learn more? A search around the form didn't give me much besides this thread.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:42 pm

karma wrote:
OCTO Would you mind elaborating on the slow boil method, or pointing me to a resource where I could learn more? A search around the form didn't give me much besides this thread.
Slow boil is to boil it with only the help of a stove over a tea candle, or other low heat source.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:43 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:42 pm
karma wrote:
OCTO Would you mind elaborating on the slow boil method, or pointing me to a resource where I could learn more? A search around the form didn't give me much besides this thread.
Slow boil is to boil it with only the help of a stove over a tea candle, or other low heat source.
Sorry, I'd gathered that much. I suppose I figured there was more technique to it and more information on what teas it works best for, etc.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:45 pm

karma wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:43 pm
Sorry, I'd gathered that much. I suppose I figured there was more technique to it and more information on what teas it works best for, etc.
In general people use it for Puerh, Yancha and aged teas of all sorts. Technique is pretty simple, what will need experimenting is the leaf/water ratio. Mostly more Western style proportions though, unless one decides to slow boil, otherwise spent leaves.
OCTO

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:07 pm

karma wrote:
@Bok has extensively answered on my behalf. It's actually very simple. Just be sure not to boil it too hard over high temperature.

Cheers!!
OCTO

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:13 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:33 pm
OCTO yours is probably the most controversial of all methods! :mrgreen:
@Bok as long as it tastes right and taste good.... there is no right or wrong method. Only what outcome do you want from your tea. As long as we have an open mind and willing heart, we can enjoy our tea in any method... hehehehe....

Cheers!!
DailyTX

Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:25 am

After a side by side comparison of my modern zhuni/hongni pots last weekend, finally settled on a julunzhu style pot about 100 ml. The pot texture looks closer to F1 hongni than modern zhuni. Brewed some Shui Xian tonight, very sweet tea
Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:35 am

OCTO wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:13 pm
Bok as long as it tastes right and taste good.... there is no right or wrong method. Only what outcome do you want from your tea. As long as we have an open mind and willing heart, we can enjoy our tea in any method... hehehehe....
Of course, many ways lead to Rome :mrgreen: And after trying your method, I can attest to the benefits ;)
Andrew S

Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:29 pm

I thought that I might start a separate thread about the different methods that people use to brew yancha.

That's mostly because many people, including myself, brew yancha in a very different manner than other kinds of tea (small pots, lots of leaves, fairly strong brews).

However, other people enjoy their yancha brewed in different styles (for example, lots of leaves in a small pot but with very quick brews, or not so many leaves in much larger pots).

Some people also enjoy brewing yancha (especially heavily-roasted yancha) in a very strong manner (even more leaves than 'usual' in a small pot, and brewed very hard), which is a style that I'm still learning about, mostly through trial and error.

Yancha also comes in all sorts of different styles of cultivar, oxidation and roast, from lightly-processed fresh leaves to heavily-roasted blends, plus different styles of aged teas, and everything in between. I feel as though there should be a style of yancha and a method of brewing it to suit almost anyone.

I've been drinking yancha for years, but I've only really been 'getting into it' a bit more recently, and I am keen to learn more from others around here. I feel as though many methods of brewing yancha are best learnt in company, observing how other people brew it, learning why, and simply drinking the tea. Unfortunately, a lot of people outside Asia don't get to experience that kind of tea drinking (and learning) environment.

Hopefully this thread can be a place for experienced yancha drinkers to discuss their preferred methods and share some knowledge that they've gained, a place for less experienced yancha drinkers to learn more and ask questions, and a place for everyone just to share what methods they do or don't enjoy.

(I am also thinking about starting a separate thread specifically on Chaozhou Gongfu Brewing Techniques, depending upon how this thread develops and whether people think it deserves to be a separate topic)

Andrew
LeoFox

Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:32 pm

Andrew S

Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:35 pm

@LeoFox: ha, I missed that one. Do you want to bump that one and get rid of this one?

Andrew
Victoria
Admin

Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:22 pm

@Andrew S merged your topic into this existing one. You and @LeoFox can edit your posts here if you want.
Andrew S

Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:57 pm

@Victoria: thank you. I'll just leave my original post as it is, for context as to why I've invaded this thread.

@OCTO: I decided to start a 'How Do You Brew Your Yancha' topic, but it looks like you beat me to it by a few years. Perhaps this would be a nice place to learn more about your big pot method of brewing yancha (as well as learning how others brew theirs).

And it's always interesting to read older posts. @tjkdubya, would I be correct in thinking that you've gone to some stronger yancha brewing methods over the years, at least for the 'traditional' styles of yancha? It would also be interesting for me to learn more about the very strong Chaozhou gongfu style, but I think that that deserves its own topic.

And @Bok: like with you, I think that my preferences have also moved steadily towards smaller pots. The 100mL modern (possibly Factory 2) pot that I used previously doesn't see much use these days, though I think that I lack the dexterity to go down as small as 30mL. I think that 50mL to 80mL is my current sweet spot, and that the smaller the pot, the stronger the leaf to water ratio I use and the stronger I brew.

For my part, right now I'm brewing 8g in a 'medium' sized 70mL pot, but not too strong... And because pots make nice tea for me and I always use them when drinking normally, I haven't used a gaiwan for yancha in years.

Andrew
LeoFox

Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:15 pm

I've heard and used three approaches:
  • fast brew: 8-12 g/100 ml followed by speedy infusions- basically as fast as you can pour out. Sometimes, it is recommended to save the rinse for the end. The packed pot, fast approach is often presented as a traditional method.
  • medum approach: 5-8 g/100 ml
    starting at 15-20s. There is no rinse. 3 infusions at less than 30s and then move on to 45s +. This approach seems to be described by many vendors.
  • heavy approach: 10-15 g/100 ml starting at 40-1min30s with the aim to produce 3-4 very strong infusions.
My experience is that the fast approach works for almost every yancha, even relatively poor quality yancha that has high astringency and/or poor nasty roast.

The medium approach allows for
deeper infusions with more complexity. However, lower quality yancha brewed this way yields nasty tea - or can only last 2-3 infusions before dying.

The strong approach seems to be endorsed only for full roast yancha.
OCTO

Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:29 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:15 pm
I've heard and used three approaches:
  • fast brew: 8-12 g/100 ml followed by speedy infusions- basically as fast as you can pour out. Sometimes, it is recommended to save the rinse for the end. The packed pot, fast approach is often presented as a traditional method, and is the one described by marshaln
  • medum approach: 5-8 g/100 ml
    starting at 15-20s. There is no rinse. 3 infusions at less than 30s and then move on to 45s +. This approach seems to be described by many vendors.
  • heavy approach: 10-15 g/100 ml starting at 40-1min30s with the aim to produce 3-4 very strong infusions.
My experience is that the fast approach works for almost every yancha, even relatively poor quality yancha that has high astringency and/or poor nasty roast.

The medium approach allows for
deeper infusions with more complexity. However, lower quality yancha brewed this way yields nasty tea - or can only last 2-3 infusions before dying.

The strong approach seems to be endorsed only for full roast yancha.

@LeoFox your observations are spot on! I'm more of a fast and medium approach guy when I use a small pot for my YanCha. As much as I like it, I do gravitate towards a good Taiwan/GaiPei for my favourite YanCha. I use different sets of GaiWan/GaiPei for my YanCha. This brings out every nuances that are hidden in the brew without being altered by the clay's character. The strong approach is highly practiced among 'gongfu master brewers" here... basically it's strike 3 and you tea is out!... I can't and won't bring myself to such preference where I'm supposed to have ended a session of my favourite tea in 3 brew if I'm doing it right! A good YanCha should have longevity in brews! I've tried the strong approach... don't intend to go back down that road... hahahaha....

The best cup of each brew is always anywhere between the 3rd to the 6th cup. The true character of the tea comes out from the 7th cup onwards... Again, I'm a journey guy... I prefer the Orient Express compared to the Concorde. We get to enjoy the scenery and probably read a book or two, strike a conversation and maybe meet the love of your life :D :D :D .... now that's a journey I would enjoy.

Cheers!!