The importance of water in oolong making

Semi-oxidized tea
Sweetestdew
Vendor

Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:38 am

Kind of a rant I've been meaning to post somewhere.

Controlling how the water leaves the leaf is extremely important to oolong making, and all tea making, and yet I don't think it is talked about enough.

For example the rolling step is just as much about enzyme manipulation as is it moisture control. When the farmer turns the leaf one of the things he is doing is bringing the water from the center of the leaf to the top. This top level of moisture then evaporates in the resting step. This is why the physical look of the leaf changes between each step.

There are so many more parts of tea making that have to do with moisture level.
Do you all know any other parts of tea making where moisture level is key.
Baisao

Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:42 am

Tea is all about controlling water, from the field to the cup. I might counter: where does water not matter with oolong?

As an aside, this reminds me of the importance of water in bread baking. Water is what allows gluten to form and yeast to access nutrients. There’s no bread without water. It’s more important than yeast (you can use another leavening agent or none at all) or even kneading (hardly needed with high hydration doughs). From the water content of the flour to the water content in the crumb, water is essential. I even use bottle water in my breads as I do with my teas.
Last edited by Baisao on Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:02 am

Equally important: oxygen!
Don’t think anyone underestimates their importance, just too obvious to talk about maybe? Also a factor that most tea enthusiasts will not be able to control or verify. Vendors maybe. Other than that it lies in the hands of the farmer and tea makers.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:34 am

Often people prepare things as they were taught to do; and, they have not been taught what specific methods accomplish.

It is good for the reasons to be remembered for new ways that won't do all of the good work are not adopted to created a product that is not as good.