Green oolongs losing flavor within 2 weeks of opening

Semi-oxidized tea
octopus
Vendor

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:33 am

Hi i don't drink these teas but i can report the advice of my friend who really only drinks green baozhong.

In his experience tea does change a lot after few weeks of opening the bag and is not as good

His solution and advice once opened the bag is to use those hard plastic tupperware like boxes that have a pump to suck out the air and for him it helps in keeping it nice for longer.

I never tried this method nor drink this kind of tea so don't blame me if you burn down your house or if your green oolong turns into mash potatoes. No idea but hope it can help.
d.manuk

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:14 pm

octopus wrote:
Hi i don't drink these teas but i can report the advice of my friend who really only drinks green baozhong.

In his experience tea does change a lot after few weeks of opening the bag and is not as good

His solution and advice once opened the bag is to use those hard plastic tupperware like boxes that have a pump to suck out the air and for him it helps in keeping it nice for longer.

I never tried this method nor drink this kind of tea so don't blame me if you burn down your house or if your green oolong turns into mash potatoes. No idea but hope it can help.
Something like this?

Sounds like a better idea than just using clips to seal the bag.
Tillerman
Vendor

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:59 pm

LuckyMe wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:54 pm
It's also another reason why I seek out vendors who use oxygen free packaging. Taiwanese and Japanese tea shops do a good job of that, but Western vendors often repackage tea using ziploc pouches which doesn't bode well for green oolongs.
Unfortunately the mylar packaging used for oxygen free packaging is not eco-friendly. I cannot speak for other vendors but I use only compostable packaging for ALL of the packing I use (and you wouldn't realize how hard it was to find compostable stand up pouches.) As a concession, however, I do put an oxygen absorber in every pouch other than samples.
octopus
Vendor

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:59 am

Shine Magical wrote:
octopus wrote:

Something like this?

yes like those. not sure how much it works. If you try let me know
ShuShu

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:10 am

Something like this works for me. It sucks the air out.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UM ... UTF8&psc=1
Shine Magical wrote:
octopus wrote:

Something like this?

LuckyMe

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:04 am

Tillerman wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:59 pm
LuckyMe wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:54 pm
It's also another reason why I seek out vendors who use oxygen free packaging. Taiwanese and Japanese tea shops do a good job of that, but Western vendors often repackage tea using ziploc pouches which doesn't bode well for green oolongs.
Unfortunately the mylar packaging used for oxygen free packaging is not eco-friendly. I cannot speak for other vendors but I use only compostable packaging for ALL of the packing I use (and you wouldn't realize how hard it was to find compostable stand up pouches.) As a concession, however, I do put an oxygen absorber in every pouch other than samples.
I didn't know the mylar bags weren't biodegradable. Hopefully the industry eventually moves to more eco-friendly packaging that's also oxygen-free.