pot rolling techniques

Semi-oxidized tea
mael

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:40 am

Does anyone knows something about the pot rolling technique kyarazen is refering to on his website and would like to share info about it ?

Quoting kyarazen article about choosing a pot for rolled oolong :

" round or tall pot can be useful, or a shuiping if you know the right pot rolling techniques (a real gongfu tea master knows this method very well, ask him/her for a demonstration if you know one!)"
.m.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:46 am

No idea about the "pot rolling", but there is a "pot shaking" mentioned in another article of KZ which has also the goal of allowing the rolled leaves unfurl evenly:
https://www.kyarazen.com/anxi-brewing-method-tea/
Bok
Vendor

Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:46 pm

.m. wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:46 am
No idea about the "pot rolling", but there is a "pot shaking" mentioned in another article of KZ which has also the goal of allowing the rolled leaves unfurl evenly:
https://www.kyarazen.com/anxi-brewing-method-tea/
Seems to me that the goal and maybe techniques is almost the same for both. Basically it is a movement which kind of equally redistributes the leaves and loosens them up. Making them ready for the next infusion.

I do something like this with some teas. Mostly only once after the first infusion, when leaves are not yet full extended and have not found their place in the pot.
Baisao

Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:36 pm

The stated purpose of the shaking method seen here does not make sense. He states that it is to help open leaves but that is not necessary as the leaves will open on their own, regardless, and opening too fast has more problems than opening slowly.

I think a similar shaking movement helps form a gall, which is different than the stated purpose in the article. Unlike the article, I don't shake more than a handful of times per instance, and I stop after a gall has formed in the teapot. The shaking isn't just an up-and-down movement. It's hard to explain but you are trying to encourage the leaves to form an evenly distributed mass, so your movements are adjusted towards that end. It's like a rolling/shaking motion.

I would also caution anyone to not follow the directions so precisely (e.g., the number of breaths used to count a steep, how many times to shake the teapot). Making tea is much too organic and fuzzy to be reduced to a formula. Maybe this helps neophytes, but there's a risk that it can become gospel.
mael

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:26 am

Thank you for your replies, I was picturing fancy moves while pouring tea from the teapot but i see it is more about shaking the teapot :)

I don't shake because teapot is often full of expended (and less expended) leaves after a few brew and shaking the pot won't really move the leaves but i will give it a try to see if it makes any difference.

I can't remember the source but I read somewhere about an old tea vendor using a stick in the gaiwan/teapot in order I believe to unfurl the leaves, must be also a valid option.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:55 am

mael wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:26 am
Thank you for your replies, I was picturing fancy moves while pouring tea from the teapot but i see it is more about shaking the teapot :)

I don't shake because teapot is often full of expended (and less expended) leaves after a few brew and shaking the pot won't really move the leaves but i will give it a try to see if it makes any difference.

I can't remember the source but I read somewhere about an old tea vendor using a stick in the gaiwan/teapot in order I believe to unfurl the leaves, must be also a valid option.
My father in law is doing that with a chopstick. In the end it is just like tossing food in a pan. Key is to make the leaves distribute evenly and prevent them from clogging in one spot.
Tillerman
Vendor

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:30 pm

Baisao wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:36 pm
Making tea is much too organic and fuzzy to be reduced to a formula.
Hallelujah!
TeaZero

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:33 am

There's no consensus whether pot shaking should be part of tea preparation in China. Most people don't do it, however, some argue indeed that the leaves may unfurl a little bit more and spread out evenly. People who care about the art of tea preparation may find the pot shaking a bit harsh. I personally don't like pot shaking. In my personal experience, the tea liquor is a bit less clear when I do pot shaking. If you try it, I recommend shaking it gently.