This year 2019 best spring tea.
Attachments
IMG_20190702_235501.jpg
IMG_20190702_235501.jpg (256.96 KiB) Viewed 8932 times
jason19870313

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:05 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:20 am
Many Lishan are pretty close. It is the same mountain after all, Dayuling being the highest place. I take a good Lishan any day over the likely fake DYL with the heftier price tag.
Not really close if it is real dyl
Bok
Vendor

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:21 pm

jason19870313 wrote:
Bok wrote:
Many Lishan are pretty close. It is the same mountain after all, Dayuling being the highest place. I take a good Lishan any day over the likely fake DYL with the heftier price tag.
Maybe. But real DYL costs 2-3 times more than premium Lishan, but is not really 2-3 times better in taste... in my opinion.
jason19870313

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:34 pm

Bok wrote:
jason19870313 wrote:
Bok wrote:
Maybe. But real DYL costs 2-3 times more than premium Lishan, but is not really 2-3 times better in taste... in my opinion.
103k nt9800 600 gram

101k nt9200 600 gram

100k nt8000 600 gram

98k 5500

95k nt7200 add 6. 5 percent change nt7800 dollars. By year 2020 government took back 2/3 of the land.
Last edited by jason19870313 on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jason19870313

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:37 pm

Bok wrote:
jason19870313 wrote:
Bok wrote:
Premium li shan tea example prize winner nt 10000 300 gram
Bok
Vendor

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:46 pm

jason19870313 wrote:
Bok wrote:
jason19870313 wrote:

All depends where one sources tea… a third or half of DYL price is possible. Competition pricing is hardly representative for retail prices.

Just recently I heard of a certain tea-shifus Oriental Beauty going for several 1000USD per jin. Is this tea 10 times better than normal premium OB? I highly doubt it and even if I had that kind of money to spend, I would still not be tempted to find out.
jason19870313

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:58 am

Bok wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:46 pm
jason19870313 wrote:
Bok wrote:

All depends where one sources tea… a third or half of DYL price is possible. Competition pricing is hardly representative for retail prices.

Just recently I heard of a certain tea-shifus Oriental Beauty going for several 1000USD per jin. Is this tea 10 times better than normal premium OB? I highly doubt it and even if I had that kind of money to spend, I would still not be tempted to find out.
東方美人 is number 1 tea in Taiwan.

Of course this tea aslo many fake 1 in the market.

It is most expensive tea in the taiwan.

Some cost 100000 usd dollars per jin-600 gram.
jason19870313

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:46 am

Bok wrote:

DYL and li shan same mountain maybe difference area. Li shan 73k to 90k.

Li shan mountain very big.

Li shan tea is about half price of dayuling tea.
Last edited by pedant on Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod edit: merged
jason19870313

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:43 am

Brent D wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:01 am
Of all the tea I drink, Dayuling is my absolute favorite. The day seems to be coming when its all gone. The really high altitude stuff is already pretty much gone, or at least I cant find it. Do you think the day will come when the Taiwanese government reclaims it all? Do you have a favorite vendor for this material?
Here is a link from a blog that gives an idea of whats been happening there over the past few years if your not up to speed.

http://teamasters.blogspot.com/2015/05/ ... d-joy.html
Now still have dayuling tea.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:04 am

Got a few new anecdotes concerning DYL which I just recently heard while sampling tea; to give you an idea how rampant the fakery and dishonesty is in regards to DYL:

# Speaking at a big tea fair to one of the biggest packaging vendors for tea in Taiwan, the sales person said, that the most sold and in demand tea packs are printed with the characters for Dayuling.

# The shop I was sampling also told that he has frequent requests from other shops wholeselling from his farm, to only use blank packs, so they can label it DYL afterwards. But – the tea is at least as good and similar in taste to the real thing.

# Farmers who own sheds or pieces of property at high altitude do get frequent request to rent out their property to tea farmers, who can then label their tea XYZ-K as apparently legally that is all it takes to be able to do so. So XYZ-K does not automatically mean the tea was harvested at this height...

Just sayin'
jason19870313

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:23 am

Bok wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:04 am
Got a few new anecdotes concerning DYL which I just recently heard while sampling tea; to give you an idea how rampant the fakery and dishonesty is in regards to DYL:

# Speaking at a big tea fair to one of the biggest packaging vendors for tea in Taiwan, the sales person said, that the most sold and in demand tea packs are printed with the characters for Dayuling.

# The shop I was sampling also told that he has frequent requests from other shops wholeselling from his farm, to only use blank packs, so they can label it DYL afterwards. But – the tea is at least as good and similar in taste to the real thing.

# Farmers who own sheds or pieces of property at high altitude do get frequent request to rent out their property to tea farmers, who can then label their tea XYZ-K as apparently legally that is all it takes to be able to do so. So XYZ-K does not automatically mean the tea was harvested at this height...

Just sayin'
Only have 98k 95k 100k 103k 101k dayuling farmer. Real 1
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:16 pm

jason19870313 wrote:
…. 98k 95k 100k 103k 101k dayuling farmer. Real 1
So, Jason, you reiterate the source that you recommend is authentic. Tea is grown at these prestigious, high, ideal locations. Okay. A farmer there sees a field of his is ready to pick. Perhaps his expert opinion is that ideal harvesting would begin the next day 2 hours after sunrise & be finished around noon. So, that's the plan. Unfortunately, there are not enough people to harvest all of the tea in that field within that time frame. The workers harvest what they can & brake for lunch.

The farmer wonders whether they should take the rest of the leaves that afternoon or the following morning; however, rain clouds appear & make the workers take themselves & what tea has not already been sent for processing to that place. The weather is deciding what happens. It rains quite a bit for a few days making harvesting a bad idea for a while. After those days of rain & a few dry days the remaining tea is harvested in far from ideal condition.

That non-ideally harvested tea is authentic (real).

Alas whether a consumer buys authentic dayuling or tea labeled DYL that is not from there, what matters is the quality of the tea in the pack(s) that are bought. Also, what matters is what an individual likes. (I have tasted DYL that costs 3X the cost of the DYL that I buy. I like what I buy more than the DYL that is much more expensive.)

Someone traveling through Taiwan to buy tea, sensibly makes decisions based on sampling. It is also wise to see that what is sampled is the same tea that is going into the packages that are being bought. I also note that one is not under obligation to buy at every place he samples at; however, it is polite to stop sampling as soon as one knows that no purchases will be made there or what will be bought. I also suggest buying at least 300 grams if one really likes a tea or has sampled for a very long time.

As for those not able to visit farms etc. in Taiwan & elsewhere: I have often written that a focus on specific cultivars etc. misses the point. A lot of work that consumers do on the computer could be avoided by a few minutes of conversation with a vendor. Purchasing many teas to sample could also be avoided. An example from my own inventory is that I have 2 choices for gaoshan: Perfect (from Shanlinxi) which I think is excellent & the best value for $ of any of my teas & Dayuling which I think is top-quality (but even as it provides twice as many infusions is still more costly per round). If someone talks to me for a few minutes, we can determine whether both should be bought or only one. (Talking also allows for discovery of some practices that would not allow my teas to show their best qualities.)

Anyway I wish there was a poetic way to say about tea what Shakespeare says about a loved one, "Romeo, Romeo, Romeo where are though, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." (Sort of what Bok wrote.) cheers

That tea is authentic,
jason19870313

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:31 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:16 pm
jason19870313 wrote:
…. 98k 95k 100k 103k 101k dayuling farmer. Real 1
So, Jason, you reiterate the source that you recommend is authentic. Tea is grown at these prestigious, high, ideal locations. Okay. A farmer there sees a field of his is ready to pick. Perhaps his expert opinion is that ideal harvesting would begin the next day 2 hours after sunrise & be finished around noon. So, that's the plan. Unfortunately, there are not enough people to harvest all of the tea in that field within that time frame. The workers harvest what they can & brake for lunch.

The farmer wonders whether they should take the rest of the leaves that afternoon or the following morning; however, rain clouds appear & make the workers take themselves & what tea has not already been sent for processing to that place. The weather is deciding what happens. It rains quite a bit for a few days making harvesting a bad idea for a while. After those days of rain & a few dry days the remaining tea is harvested in far from ideal condition.

That non-ideally harvested tea is authentic (real).

Alas whether a consumer buys authentic dayuling or tea labeled DYL that is not from there, what matters is the quality of the tea in the pack(s) that are bought. Also, what matters is what an individual likes. (I have tasted DYL that costs 3X the cost of the DYL that I buy. I like what I buy more than the DYL that is much more expensive.)

Someone traveling through Taiwan to buy tea, sensibly makes decisions based on sampling. It is also wise to see that what is sampled is the same tea that is going into the packages that are being bought. I also note that one is not under obligation to buy at every place he samples at; however, it is polite to stop sampling as soon as one knows that no purchases will be made there or what will be bought. I also suggest buying at least 300 grams if one really likes a tea or has sampled for a very long time.

As for those not able to visit farms etc. in Taiwan & elsewhere: I have often written that a focus on specific cultivars etc. misses the point. A lot of work that consumers do on the computer could be avoided by a few minutes of conversation with a vendor. Purchasing many teas to sample could also be avoided. An example from my own inventory is that I have 2 choices for gaoshan: Perfect (from Shanlinxi) which I think is excellent & the best value for $ of any of my teas & Dayuling which I think is top-quality (but even as it provides twice as many infusions is still more costly per round). If someone talks to me for a few minutes, we can determine whether both should be bought or only one. (Talking also allows for discovery of some practices that would not allow my teas to show their best qualities.)

Anyway I wish there was a poetic way to say about tea what Shakespeare says about a loved one, "Romeo, Romeo, Romeo where are though, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." (Sort of what Bok wrote.) cheers

That tea is authentic,
It is OK thanks
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:42 pm

My Spring 2020 dayuling:

This season's oolong presents a challenge to me because usually I find ideal parameters for how I like gaoshan with 3 or 4 sessions. I feel that I am very close but have not found the perfect way yet. (My younger sister who drank with me after lunch thinks I am there but she likes vegetal character more than I do. Also she drinks smaller amounts which is a factor because this tea & particularly this season, coats one's mouth with a long-lasting flavor. She will drink half the amount that I do for each of a few rounds.)

I think my dayuling is special this season because it is so satisfying. I can drink this tea very slowly sipping just a little every couple of minutes & feel happy. I can also drink about 130 ml (around 3 oz. or so) fairly quickly & then spend five minutes or more still tasting the tea. When I have drunk 4 cups of 130 ml within a half hour, I enjoy the taste as much or more afterwards than I did when the liquid was in my mouth. This aftertaste lasts about a half hour. Also I feel content in my body & mind for quite a while. This effect is very helpful when isolated so much of the time in my studio apartment.

I've read how people would like to know exactly where the leaves came from or what proves authenticity, etc. I don't use photographs.... I have given history & stories before, but I am finished with that. (Somehow my a source of some of my tea got contacted through information that came from me which ultimately caused those good people & me some bother.) Let the leaves speak for their worth.

Ultimately my favorite preparation (probably combining infusions that were steeped much quicker than how long others prefer) will highlight what I like most about the tea; however, for everyone the liquid feels light & fresh while it lines one's mouth most pleasantly with flavor & feel that lasts. There's a touch of sweetness, some greenness, etc. Ultimately drinkers enjoy this.

For some tea sessions I might prefer this season's new find for me, longfanshiu. The immediate impression is a balance of flavor so apparently good. However, the dayuling is much better for a time when I want to enjoy a tea session a long while after my cup is empty & good profound ways that are not common.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:06 am

Apparently, some also now sell the best DYL directly(and for cheap), skipping the local retailers when the local market demand for authentic DYL already exceeds the available amount... funny world