DHP and stomach upset

Semi-oxidized tea
Kale

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:09 pm

So I have been brewing this DHP that supposed to be fairly drinkable for a couple of days now, and every time I drink it (and I don't brew it very rough) my stomach is upset. I wonder why is that?
It doesn't seem to be the caffeine as I'm a regular drinker. I thought it might be the fire but I drink roasted stuff. Perhaps this one is significantly more roasted than others? can it be the tea's quality? a combination of the two?
Would be glad if you can share if you had a similar experience or some explanation
A5D8E80A-FDD3-4D72-A372-3D2CF975C5A7.jpg
A5D8E80A-FDD3-4D72-A372-3D2CF975C5A7.jpg (123.08 KiB) Viewed 8252 times
Last edited by Kale on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:09 pm

It is because this is very low quality tea. That fact that you can get it in Chinatown supermarkets tells you as much. Who knows what is in there. Certainly not Dahongpao as a real one would have a price tag that most of us would not be able to get past…

That brand is government owned, mass production tea, need I say more?
Kale

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:14 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:09 pm
It is because this is very low quality tea. That fact that you can get it in Chinatown supermarkets tells you as much. Who knows what is in there. Certainly not Dahongpao as a real one would have a price tag that most of us would not be able to get past…

That brand is government owned, mass production tea, need I say more?
Thanks Bok. I hope you are right. Though, SeaDyke is usually drinkable (I drink their TGY daily) not the kind of tea the kills ya...
Kale

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:18 pm

BTW - SampleTea which is a decent vendor actually sale exactly the same tea from ten years ago
http://www.sampletea.com/product/2009-s ... -tea-at103
Bok
Vendor

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:27 pm

Maybe you got one of the imitations that the website is warning of? Someone recently mentioned that the batches of Seadyke can vary hugely in terms of quality and that newer production seem to be less good than they used.

China is a tricky market and the bigger the production the more there is room for mistakes.
Did other people you shared it with experience the same thing with this tea?
Bok
Vendor

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:29 pm

And for the price you can not really expect anything, think about how low the production cost must be to able to be sold to the Western market at that price! And then compare what smaller outlets charge for similiar (in name only) teas…
Kale

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:33 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:27 pm
Maybe you got one of the imitations that the website is warning of? Someone recently mentioned that the batches of Seadyke can vary hugely in terms of quality and that newer production seem to be less good than they used.

China is a tricky market and the bigger the production the more there is room for mistakes.
Did other people you shared it with experience the same thing with this tea?
I guess.
I just decided to try it myself for a while to see how it tastes. I heard that SD sometime mix some aged stuff which might be interesting...anyways, I think that it is the combination of low quality and very high fire...maybe i'll age it a little bit :)
Chadrinkincat

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:08 pm

Drinking SD can be pretty rough on the stomach for me. I'd recommend only drinking this right after a bid meal. This is prob they're most heavily roasted/burnt tea so letting it rest for a few years should improve it a lot.
tealifehk
Vendor

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:38 am

That appears to have been brought in by a legit company:

http://www.summit-import.com/

Are you eating before you drink it? Are you rinsing? How are you brewing it up?

I can see this stuff upsetting tummies if brewed too strong / for too long. It really is very low grade tea, but the Malaysians are crazy about buying up aged cans of the stuff. As I stated on the other thread, the quality must have fallen off greatly since the cans are NOT worth the asking price anymore IMO. The rolled oolongs can be good though. I got some in Singapore that I can't find online, and it is medium oxidation, light roast and just really lovely and flavorful for supermarket tea that came in a cheap Sea Dyke cardboard canister!
Kale

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:14 am

tealifehk wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:38 am
That appears to have been brought in by a legit company:

http://www.summit-import.com/

Are you eating before you drink it? Are you rinsing? How are you brewing it up?

I can see this stuff upsetting tummies if brewed too strong / for too long. It really is very low grade tea, but the Malaysians are crazy about buying up aged cans of the stuff. As I stated on the other thread, the quality must have fallen off greatly since the cans are NOT worth the asking price anymore IMO. The rolled oolongs can be good though. I got some in Singapore that I can't find online, and it is medium oxidation, light roast and just really lovely and flavorful for supermarket tea that came in a cheap Sea Dyke cardboard canister!
I’m sure it’s legit. I ate somewhat before and didn’t brew it too strong (5g in a 90ml pot for just 3-4 seconds). But note that this is not aged stuff. You can buy 1996 cans online, but these ones are new.

I agree about the oolong, this is why I was surprised feeling bad. Which oolong are you referring to by the way? Here is a pic from my supermarket (gold? Yellow? Or Red?)

0FDB9866-63C0-4AD1-8381-42FCC520B55E.jpeg
0FDB9866-63C0-4AD1-8381-42FCC520B55E.jpeg (356.08 KiB) Viewed 8179 times
tealifehk
Vendor

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:31 am

The oolong I bought is a rolled oolong, a la TGY, but it isn't TGY and it is NOT available online. I can't even find pics of the canister online! :o
.m.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:04 pm

I've had few times in the past issues with upset stomach / stomach cramps after drinking some aggressive teas, such young factory sheng,
lower grade matcha etc. In that case it's better to stay away from such teas for a couple of months and let your stomach recover. And as other say to avoid drinking tea on empty stomach. Good quality hongcha or shu tend to be quite gentle.
.m.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:21 pm

Now that i think about it, I've also had issues with both some sencha and hojicha in the past. I think it is usually lower grade very low oxidized tea that tends to be upsetting to the stomach. I think most of the usual SD oolong production tends to be indeed high roast but low oxidation.

Btw. there was a post by Marshaln on his blog some time ago, where he suggests something in the sense that traditionally shincha should be rested for few months.

EDIT: here is the post i've been referring http://www.marshaln.com/2014/09/dont-drink-shincha/
ShuShu

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:51 pm

.m. wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:04 pm
I've had few times in the past issues with upset stomach / stomach cramps after drinking some aggressive teas, such young factory sheng,
lower grade matcha etc. In that case it's better to stay away from such teas for a couple of months and let your stomach recover. And as other say to avoid drinking tea on empty stomach. Good quality hongcha or shu tend to be quite gentle.
I once had a friend that used to drink hongcha daily in the mornings (before food) and I was surprised that his stomach survives...
oolongfan

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:42 pm

Kale - You recommend Sample Tea, are they still in business?