Buying Oolong in Tainan

Semi-oxidized tea
The King In Yellow

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:48 am

I know this is quite the specific question, but for those of you who have passed through or lived there for a few years, can you point me in the direction of a few stores you've liked? There's a sea of average Oolong out there, so it would be nice to have a few recommendations.

Currently, all I'm aware of is Dr. Chen's Tea and 振發茶行 (the 1860's original tea shop).

I'm primarily looking for Lishan, but any high mountain Oolong on the less roasted side is up my alley.

Thanks to all of you!
S_B

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:51 am

By Dr. Chen....do you mean Huayin Chen? (陳華胤)
If so, you could just head on down to Nantou and visit him. If you're stuck in Taipei, you can just roll around different tea shops and try teas until you like one. Ask around for Lishan Gao Shans and see what you can find. Heck, you could even roll down to Lishan if you have the time.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:45 am

The King In Yellow wrote:
Currently, all I'm aware of is Dr. Chen's Tea and 振發茶行 (the 1860's original tea shop).
Do not recommend 振發茶行, they are liars and their tea is not very good. They sold me some really average and over priced tea, all the while pretending it was something else. They are kind of known, because they are the oldest shop in Tainan and famous for their paper wrapping packaging, which is why you also find their teas in a couple of tourist locations like Linbaihuo. Do not get fooled by the fancy old tea tins!
Bok
Vendor

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:53 am

Oolong_Nug wrote:
If so, you could just head on down to Nantou and visit him. If you're stuck in Taipei, you can just roll around different tea shops and try teas until you like one. Ask around for Lishan Gao Shans and see what you can find. Heck, you could even roll down to Lishan if you have the time.
Different Chen.
Also I recommend buying tea in Tainan rather than Taipei. Price is increasing at least three-fold. Lots of people come down to Tainan to buy tea, even with the high speed ticket they are saving a lot in doing so.

Only if you are after more Northern-specific teas like Baozhong or Tieguanyin, Taipei is better. People down south rarely drink those.

Also do not recommend buying teas directly at the farms, the way it works most tea is spoken for, right after the harvest, what remains is low quality and in the worst case imported tea from Vietnam or Thailand. Unless you have a really good local connection, go and see the sights by all means, but do not buy tea at a farm as tempting and romantic as it may seem...

You can also try the tea shop from 奉茶, they have a drinks chain but also a tea shop and source all kinds of teas. The boss is kind of a local tea celebrity. Do not know about prices but the quality should be good. Shop is on Gong Yuan Rd, close to the roundabout and they have a tea house not far from there as well.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:56 am

Have a look around but then stick to one shop because often it takes time until they sell you the good stuff, or give you a good price. Most shops will not sell you their best tea even if you ask for it.

Takes time and effort to build a relationship.
Of course an introduction by someone local is always best.
But then be careful, a lot of people will try to help, but might not have a clue about tea.
As anywhere, real tea experts are few.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:03 am

Oolong_Nug wrote:
do you mean Huayin Chen? (陳華胤)
If so, you could just head on down to Nantou and visit him.
You can just buy over facebook or Line from him, tea is there the next day! Shipping prices are very low.
Tillerman
Vendor

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:47 am

Bok wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:56 am
Have a look around but then stick to one shop because often it takes time until they sell you the good stuff, or give you a good price. Most shops will not sell you their best tea even if you ask for it.

Takes time and effort to build a relationship.
Of course an introduction by someone local is always best.
But then be careful, a lot of people will try to help, but might not have a clue about tea.
As anywhere, real tea experts are few.
Good advice from Bok! As he also says, avoid buying at the farms - you likely will be taken advantage of in one of many ways.

A good shop in Taipei is Chen Huan-Tang's 意翔村茶業 in the Da'An district. But again, don't expect the best stuff right off the bat.
S_B

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:02 am

Bok wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:53 am
Oolong_Nug wrote:
Different Chen.
Also I recommend buying tea in Tainan rather than Taipei. Price is increasing at least three-fold. Lots of people come down to Tainan to buy tea, even with the high speed ticket they are saving a lot in doing so.

Only if you are after more Northern-specific teas like Baozhong or Tieguanyin, Taipei is better. People down south rarely drink those.

Also do not recommend buying teas directly at the farms, the way it works most tea is spoken for, right after the harvest, what remains is low quality and in the worst case imported tea from Vietnam or Thailand. Unless you have a really good local connection, go and see the sights by all means, but do not buy tea at a farm as tempting and romantic as it may seem...

You can also try the tea shop from 奉茶, they have a drinks chain but also a tea shop and source all kinds of teas. The boss is kind of a local tea celebrity. Do not know about prices but the quality should be good. Shop is on Gong Yuan Rd, close to the roundabout and they have a tea house not far from there as well.
I didn't realize they said Tainan specifically, I must have auto-read "Taiwan" welp that makes it clearer.
The King In Yellow

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:21 pm

Thanks to Bok and all for the help!

I used to live in Tainan but currently live in Taipei, so I am familiar with both cities. I'm heading down to Tainan over CNY break to pick up some tea and catch up with a few friends, but my schedule is mostly free for tea hunting. I'll post here with the findings next month for anyone interested!
Bok
Vendor

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:24 am

I'm heading down to Tainan over CNY break to pick up some tea and catch up with a few friends, but my schedule is mostly free for tea hunting.
You are welcome. Bare in mind that a lot of shops might be closed during the holidays!
tealifehk
Vendor

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:09 am

Bok wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:24 am
I'm heading down to Tainan over CNY break to pick up some tea and catch up with a few friends, but my schedule is mostly free for tea hunting.
You are welcome. Bare in mind that a lot of shops might be closed during the holidays!
That's what I was thinking!
The King In Yellow

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:52 pm

Yeah, I'd thought of that, but I'm heading down the week before CNY starts so I should be good.
jason19870313

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:38 am

I know this is quite the specific question, but for those of you who have passed through or lived there for a few years, can you point me in the direction of a few stores you've liked? There's a sea of average Oolong out there, so it would be nice to have a few recommendations.

I'm primarily looking for Lishan, but any high mountain Oolong on the less roasted side is up my alley.

Thanks to all of you!
Li shan tea buy from. Farmer better
Bok
Vendor

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:55 am

Buying from the farm directly is not the best advice for foreigners. As you well know, the best tea is often spoken for before it is even ready, booked by long term customers and tea shops.

Getting a good relationship and access to high quality tea is a matter of building a good guanxi with the farmer. Not an easy task for a foreigner.

I have been often warned by my Taiwanese tea friends that buying at a farm directly is often a good chance of getting not so nice tea, as the best has often left the mountain already, or you just get plainly ripped off with Vietnamese tea as is often the case all the roads up Alishan and Shanlinxi...
teataiwanlover
New user

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:41 am

信翰茶業 - Taiwan Shinhan's Tea
(56) · Tea store
Ren’ai Township, Nantou County, Taiwan
+886 988 818 789
Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM Wed

陳博士茗茶
(40) · Tea store
West Central District, Tainan City, Taiwan

振發茶行