Teaophyte Questions

Semi-oxidized tea
DarwinsFlinch
New user

Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:23 am

Hello folks. I am a neophyte in the tea scene, for about six months. I have tried a few different bags just to see where my preferences lie. I like black tees, apparently, and I'm lucky enough to have a tea shop within 5 miles. She sells loose leaf, cans, and bags. I'm hoping that she will be a great source of info for me, but I would also like to hear from you guys about what you think I should explore.

Also, are there any bagged teas that you might suggest that aren't mostly powder. I enjoy Twinning somewhat, is there anything better in the US?

Thanks for your time!
teatray

Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:49 am

I'd suggest not using commonly available teabags for exploring different kinds of tea. You can maybe get enjoyable black tea out of them, but 99% of teabag versions are not going to give you a good idea of how greens or oolongs taste like (nor hint at the variety available from China, Taiwan, Japan and other producers, some of which you might love/hate).

The tea store might be a good first stop, but you are more likely to get good tea if you order, whether from a US seller or importing directly from Asia. Unless you have a really exceptional store near you. A bad Western loose-leaf store has a wide variety of teas, incl. greens and oolongs, many/most of them scented, stored in large containers. They might have an expensive Japanese sencha, bought in bulk and stored unsealed for months/years (which ruins it), or a milky oolong which they happily explain has been treated with milk (unlike the real deal). Whenever they feel unsure about what to say / how to sell to you, they open containers of scented tea for you to smell and be impressed. If it's something like that, it's about as useful as teabags.

If you found a black tea that currently makes you happy, I suggest enjoying it while it does. When it gets old and you get curious, maybe research shops here & elsewhere, and just order some, beginning with Japanese and Taiwanese teas, perhaps, as they are somewhat easier to get in good quality at reasonable prices.
DarwinsFlinch
New user

Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:47 am

thanks very much for your tips!