What's the difference among Song Zhong, Dongfanghong and Tongtianxiang?

Semi-oxidized tea
mushjoon

Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:27 am

Hi everyone,

I have a question about Phoenix Dancong.

So I know that there is this Dancong type called Song Zhong, which is the OG Phoenix Dancong that has been enjoyed by thousands since the Song Dynasty.

However, there's also Dongfanghong and Tongtianxiang that are also considered as super top-grade Dancong types.

What are the difference among Song Zhong, Dongfanghong and Tongtianxiang?

Are they basically a same tea with different nicknames or are they totally different types?
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:58 pm

Not sure how many drinkers of high grade Dancong are around on this forum, seen how hard to get and expensive they are... maybe @OCTO can help you?
Baisao

Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:48 pm

I was told, contrary to legend, the usage of “Song” in Song Zhong is meant to be evocative rather than literal. This was from someone who’s family makes dancong but take it with a grain of salt. And iirc it was reserved for the oldest trees.
pedant
Admin

Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:40 pm

if you don't get any satisfying answers here, you could try contacting Imen:

https://teahabitat.com/pages/contact
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:13 pm

Baisao wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:48 pm
I was told, contrary to legend, the usage of “Song” in Song Zhong is meant to be evocative rather than literal. This was from someone who’s family makes dancong but take it with a grain of salt. And iirc it was reserved for the oldest trees.
That makes sense. The oldest trees' harvest still in use are not really available to mere mortals as far as I know.
Tyler

Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:30 am

In principle they refer to specific teas, in practice I don't know how closely the naming is always related to things like 'varietals' or famous trees
Tyler

Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:41 am

Here is an old post from Imen's blog http://tea-obsession.blogspot.com/2008/ ... aming.html
mushjoon

Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:25 am

OK I did some digging around the internet and it seems that tea farmers themselves can't decide on what tea should be called Songzhong, Dongfanghong and Tongtienxiang.

I also looked thru Dancong vendors on Taobao and it seems that each vendor also has their own system of categorizing the products into SZ, DFH and TTX.

For example, I thought SZ and DFH were the same type cuz I heard that SZ simply got the nickname "DFH" when Mao praised how great the tea was.

However, one Taobao vendor (with pretty good credibility) sells SZ higher than DFH which led me to a conclusion that I should simply order each type, try them and stick to the one that I like the most.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:25 pm

mushjoon wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:25 am
conclusion that I should simply order each type, try them and stick to the one that I like the most.
That is usually the best way – let the taste buds decide!