Light oolongs storage, freezer, how to unfreeze?

Semi-oxidized tea
tolean

Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:03 am

debunix wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:55 am
I have not used any other brand, so I cannot compare to others. The one I have is similar to this.
Thank you!
tolean

Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:04 am

teatray wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:30 am
tolean wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:17 am
debunix wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:09 am
It is occasionally handy for tea, but I did not buy it for that. I bought it because I wanted to use my canning jars for bug proof storage of my beans and greens and dried herbs and spices, and I wanted to try and extend their shelflife by vacuum, sealing them between uses. I think it definitely helps minimize the cooking time required for beans, keep screen, fresher, and, both cuts down on the survival of the bugs that might occasionally hatch inside a jar of stuff because there’s less oxygen for them, and it make sure that they can’t escape the jar they hatched in.
Good to know. Now i will have to dig in to see what type of vacuum sealers are there (power, form, price etc..):) . Can you tell me what are you using or there is no real difference between them?
Don't wanna stop you if vacuum sealing sounds like a fun thing to do, but if it's mainly for tea, esp. the TW oolongs you mentioned or many others that come sealed and ready for cold storage anyway (sencha, matcha, ...), I'd personally put it at the very bottom of the shopping list. Who knows, you might even discover the teas you like best don't benefit from sealing & cooling...
Yeah, i have other teas too. I was just curious how other ppl deal with this type of storing)(
Last edited by tolean on Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GaoShan

Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:41 pm

I've never put light oolongs in the freezer, so can't comment on any of these points. I recently started buying 150 g packs of these teas and have put 75 g or so in the fridge to extend their shelf life, and that seems to work.

I've contemplated buying a vacuum sealer for my green oolongs, but putting them in the fridge and drinking them quickly is a more cost-effective solution. I try not to buy green oolongs that aren't vacuum sealed by the vendor.
tolean

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:08 pm

GaoShan wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:41 pm
I've never put light oolongs in the freezer, so can't comment on any of these points. I recently started buying 150 g packs of these teas and have put 75 g or so in the fridge to extend their shelf life, and that seems to work.

I've contemplated buying a vacuum sealer for my green oolongs, but putting them in the fridge and drinking them quickly is a more cost-effective solution. I try not to buy green oolongs that aren't vacuum sealed by the vendor.
Thank you!