Teach me to brew oolong

Semi-oxidized tea
GailC

Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:45 am

I've ordered some milky oolong that should be here in a few days. Any tips on getting the best none astringent brew?
I'll be using a 200ml porcelain pot for now.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:05 am

Astringency does not only depend on the brewing but also on the tea material itself… so kind of difficult to advise without knowing the exact same tea.

Milky oolong if it’s good quality shouldn’t be astringent.

In general, high heat and then you need to adjust the steeping time parameters to your liking.
LeoFox

Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:11 am

Throw 2-3 grams in and do a long 4-5 minute brew with boiling water. Then do a 8 minute brew after the first one is done using same leaves. Then do like 15 minutes. Then let it go for a long time.

See how you like that

Then try something closer to gongfu:
Throw in 10-12g. Do a quick rinse and then start with 35 seconds, and then 30 seconds, 35 seconds and so on.

See how you like that

Use boiling water
GailC

Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:19 am

LeoFox wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:11 am
Throw 2-3 grams in and do a long 4-5 minute brew with boiling water. Then do a 8 minute brew after the first one is done using same leaves. Then do like 15 minutes. Then let it go for a long time.

See how you like that

Then try something closer to gongfu:
Throw in 10-12g. Do a quick rinse and then start with 35 seconds, and then 30 seconds, 35 seconds and so on.

See how you like that

Use boiling water
Thank you, I will try these
GailC

Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:28 am

Bok wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:05 am
Astringency does not only depend on the brewing but also on the tea material itself… so kind of difficult to advise without knowing the exact same tea.

Milky oolong if it’s good quality shouldn’t be astringent.

In general, high heat and then you need to adjust the steeping time parameters to your liking.
I don't know much about it besides its from Alishan High Mountain in Taiwan.
I've asked the harvest year
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:34 am

GailC wrote:
don't know much about it besides its from Alishan High Mountain in Taiwan.
Where was the tea purchased? Who sold it? (It could have been bought at a tea-growing spot but grown elsewhere.)
Bok
Vendor

Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:41 pm

Perhaps a good question to ask: what past experience made tea too astringent for you?

As to year of harvest, that will also tell you very little about the possible astringency.
Baisao

Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:14 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:34 am
GailC wrote:
don't know much about it besides its from Alishan High Mountain in Taiwan.
Where was the tea purchased? Who sold it? (It could have been bought at a tea-growing spot but grown elsewhere.)
Additionally, “milk oolong” is often faked with a light application of non-dairy creamer, maltose, or something like that. I can’t see it but I can feel it in my hands. It’s a light, powdery residue that gets sticky with the humidity in my hands.

@GailC, so-called milk oolong (jin xuan) should not have a milk flavor but a creamy, milk-like texture. A milk flavor is a sure sign of a faked jin xuan. And not every harvest of jin xuan has this sought after texture.

The above advice to use off boil water assumes you have good quality leaves and the requisite skill to them. Bitter and astringent compounds go into solution more easily the higher the water temperature is.

Try the above advice. It’s good advice. And if you find it astringent, drop the temp to no lower than 193°f/90°c. Then up your game by finding better quality jin xuan and building out your skills until you can use boiling water every time.
debunix

Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:27 am

Lots of good advice above. One thing I would add…because it took me a long time to figure this out…is that you can sometimes rescue an infusion that goes too long, and gets too strong by diluting it. Pouring it into a larger cup or tea bowl and adding more water can rescue an overly strong/concentrated, but otherwise fine tea.
LeoFox

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:13 pm

debunix wrote:
Lots of good advice above. One thing I would add…because it took me a long time to figure this out…is that you can sometimes rescue an infusion that goes too long, and gets too strong by diluting it. Pouring it into a larger cup or tea bowl and adding more water can rescue an overly strong/concentrated, but otherwise fine tea.
This may be a good thing to try, though personally, I've found this is not ideal. The result is usually subpar for me, though probably better than the over steeped infusion.
GailC

Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:13 pm

debunix wrote:
I do this to make iced tea with pueh that I either don't want at the moment or I let brew to long.
debunix

Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:23 pm

LeoFox wrote:
debunix wrote:
This may be a good thing to try, though personally, I've found this is not ideal. The result is usually subpar for me, though probably better than the over steeped infusion.
While it is certainly preparable to infuse the tea correctly, the first time, it is also useful for the beginner to know that sometimes it can be rescued after the infusion proper is completed. And really, this is essentially what grandpa style infusions are all about.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:37 pm

debunix wrote:
While it is certainly preparable to infuse the tea correctly, the first time, it is also useful for the beginner to know that sometimes it can be rescued after the infusion proper is completed. And really, this is essentially what grandpa style infusions are all about.
+1
Also, sometimes people prefer not to throw away tea that may be far from ideal but can be improved through dilution or other means. We can enjoy good drinking while knowing what is in our cups is not the wonderful drink we tried to prepare.
LeoFox

Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:31 am

debunix wrote:
LeoFox wrote:
debunix wrote:
Often I accept failure and drink the oversteeped or under steeped brew. I feel it can be educational and corrective
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:43 am

LeoFox wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:31 am
Often, I accept failure and drink the oversteeped or under steeped brew. I feel it can be educational and corrective
+1 To this practice also.
Again, imperfect tea can still be good enough to do us some good.
We all seem to get a lot out of our hobby in various ways. :P