TGY in Honey

Semi-oxidized tea
aet
Vendor

Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:36 am

Just watching a document on TV and there is a short sequence of Fujian people putting dark roasted tieguanyin in clay jar and pour the honey up to the rim ( the ratio of tea and honey not clear from video , but seems like the point is to soak it only, like marinating , so like 90% is the actual tea ) .
Jar is sealed and stored ( not saying how long ) . Then tea is brewed simply in glass cup.

I will try find some details on Chinese internet , but just wondering. Anybody here tried that?
There is no self

Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:15 pm

Even if the tea is just "marinated", it sounds like it's going to be overly sweet, at least in the first infusions. But who knows, maybe it'll pair well with a roasted TGY.
Andrew S

Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:47 pm

Apparently, it is meant to work with cooked puer as well: http://theguidetopuerhtea.blogspot.com/ ... honey.html

Andrew
Bok
Vendor

Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:42 am

I was gonna say: Puerh-Honey iced drinks are a thing in Taiwan. Works not too bad with otherwise probably not drinkable cheap Puerh.
LeoFox

Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:58 am

https://teahabitat.com/collections/aged ... ney-orchid
Single old tree phoenix dancong tea infused in California cactus honey since 2014. 

Honeyed tea has long been a remedy in Chao Zhou region as a semi medicinal nourishment, particularly consumed in Fall and Winter seasons as the weather is drier.  It takes minimum of 3 years for the tea to fully absorb the moisture of the honey, it takes 5 years for them to fully mingled together, tea is in honey, honey is in tea.  10 years and more would be even better.  
TeaGrove

Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:03 pm

I was gifted some honey recently and decided to try this method on a couple of teas which were losing their lustre. A roasted TGY and a purple leaf sheng pu'erh in 15g quantities for around 150g- 200g honey. Glass jars, stored in a cool place. The tea does rise so this strikes me as something you need to turn on occasion, especially because you can expect some air bubbles.

I do not have great expectations that the tea will taste any different from just adding honey. Maybe it will be welcome in the Spring time when there are lots of sniffly type viruses going around.
wave_code

Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:45 am

I could see mainly using teas like this for medicinal/comfort value while sick - TGY tends to be what I reach for anyway when I have a cold, and I could also see some camphor heavy shu mixed with a healthy spoonful of raw honey doing great things for a winter cold. those honey teas at Tea Habitat always seemed interesting and I always meant to pick one up while in the US to try out but never got around to it.
.m.

Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:20 pm

I've got some Georgian hongcha jared in forest honey in a storage for a few years, but haven tried it yet. In retrospect, rolled up tea like TGY sounds like a better choice, since it is more compact, so allows better tea/honey ratio. It should also be easier to get it out of the jar once the honey crystalizes - i think i'll have to reheat mine.
tolean

Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:06 pm

Thanks to this post i tried to do it now. I will try it in some months. Hopefully I will not forget to write here the results))