How to brew Dan congs Western style?

Semi-oxidized tea
Teachronicles

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:53 am

I'm fairly new to tea and specifically Dan congs. I've heard about how they can be finicky to brew. Can you even brew them Western style? I usually do my oolongs Western style 3gs for 2-3 minutes. Can I do Dan congs like that also?
Bok
Vendor

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:04 am

Would not recommend. Turns bitter very easily and all the complexity is gone. Some very high quality DC might be workable, but they would be so expensive that it would be a waste to brew them in that way...
Tillerman
Vendor

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:59 am

For DC i would not try western style. I generally use a little more leaf and a very short infusion.
debunix

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:41 am

Thirding the opinions above.
Teachronicles

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:14 pm

Ok. So I have a few more questions then. Should I use boiling water? Or 200f? Do I need to do a rinse? And I generally start with 15s infusions and adjust from there. Should I go shorter to start?
debunix

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:32 pm

Depends on grams/mL and your preferences. I use a small amount of leaf in a small pot, and my first infusion is usually a flash infusion--very little to it, almost more of a rinse, with water just off the boil. After that, I let it rest a minute or three, and then do another flash infusion, which by now has more flavor, aroma and body. Then I keep going, only lengthening infusions as the brew get too weak.
Brent D

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:33 pm

Dc does not like long infusions. Super easy to over steep. I’ve had some luck with 185f and super quick infusions with 7 grams to 200ml. That was some cheaper dc. If it’s good dc, I’d suggest against western brewing.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Also check tea habitat’s website, they have lots of articles about Dancong and how to deal with it.
Teachronicles

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:37 pm

What do you guys think about this pot for brewing Dan congs?

https://yunnansourcing.com/products/cha ... 3172823893
tealifehk
Vendor

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Teachronicles wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:37 pm
What do you guys think about this pot for brewing Dan congs?

https://yunnansourcing.com/products/cha ... 3172823893
I know someone who has that pot from YS. It makes the tea very smooth, but he also said if the material you're putting in isn't very flavorful, you won't be getting much flavor back from the clay! I use a CZ pot for dancong and I found it made average dancong much smoother as well; like a completely different tea!
Brent D

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:41 pm

I suggest you purchase porcelain for dc.
debunix

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:58 pm

I use Chao Zhou, glazed porcelain, and occasionally other unglazed clays, depending on my mood. If I want a little more smoothness, I go with the Chao Zhou; for the most delicate flavor, I go with porcelain--assuming I have enough time to really appreciate every nuance.

I've had lovely sessions in my cheapest yixings and cheapest porcelain gaiwans as well; but it is one tea that I have never abused with a thermos session or prepared in my plastic kamjove cups, the former because it would not be good, and the latter because it would just feel too wrong....
Baisao

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:25 am

FengHuang teas (so called Dancong) have an astringency to them that reminds me of a green willow twig. Some can also lean towards the bitter side. With this in in mind I would suggest that you brew it GFC style, rather than Western style. You’ll appreciate it more.

For FengHuang teas, I use a lot of leaf for the volume. It’s certainly more than what I use for other oolongs of this shape. I also use hotter water, ranging from 195°-205°.

I don’t use a rinse but pour in the local manner: a thin stream of water around the inside perimeter of the pot, moving in a circle. After the first infusion, the other steeps are short. I want to enjoy that twiggy astringency but not bitterness.

I feel like teapots produce a more aromatic tea than gaiwans do. Yet, porcelain is an ideal material. Modern Yixing wares can be a racket and I am uncertain that there is any benefit in using budget priced Yixing, like the one linked above. Further, I am uncertain there is any benefit in using Yixing compared to other kilns. There are other teapot producing kilns that make better teapots with better value. Mary Cotterman is making fine teapots in Chaozhou, and they are affordable too! I’ve seen many fully handmade Taiwanese teapots that are better than anything I’ve seen come out of Yixing lately.

After 15 years of this I have become increasingly skeptical of modern Yixing wares and do not see them as being a necessity, especially when there are so many fine teapot makers in other areas. Don’t get me wrong: I love my collection of old Yixing pots, but no more than I love my collection of modern Chaozhou and Taiwanese pots.
Last edited by Baisao on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:46 am

Baisao wrote:
I’ve seen many fully handmade Taiwanese teapots that are better than anything I’ve seen come out of Yixing lately.

After 15 years of this I have become increasingly skeptical of modern Yixing wares and do not see them as being a necessity, especially when there are so many fine teapot makers in other areas. Don’t get me wrong: I love my collection of old Yixing pots, but no more than I love my collection of modern Chaozhou and Taiwanese pots.

+1
I feel a lot of people are missing out on really great teaware while going on a wild goose chase for mysthical clays…
Teachronicles

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Baisao wrote:
FengHuang teas (so called Dancong) have an astringency to them that reminds me of a green willow twig. Some can also lean towards the bitter side. With this in in mind I would suggest that you brew it GFC style, rather than Western style. You’ll appreciate it more.

For FengHuang teas, I use a lot of leaf for the volume. It’s certainly more than what I use for other oolongs of this shape. I also use hotter water, ranging from 195°-205°.

I don’t use a rinse but pour in the local manner: a thin stream of water around the inside perimeter of the pot, moving in a circle. After the first infusion, the other steeps are short. I want to enjoy that twiggy astringency but not bitterness.

I feel like teapots produce a more aromatic tea than gaiwans do. Yet, porcelain is an ideal material. Modern Yixing wares can be a racket and I am uncertain that there is any benefit in using budget priced Yixing, like the one linked above. Further, I am uncertain there is any benefit in using Yixing compared to other kilns. There are other teapot producing kilns that make better teapots with better value. Mary Cotterman is making fine teapots in Chaozhou, and they are affordable too! I’ve seen many fully handmade Taiwanese teapots that are better than anything I’ve seen come out of Yixing lately.

Can you buy Mary cottermans pots online?