Wuyi Origin 2021 Dancongs

Semi-oxidized tea
Aritempor
New user

Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:37 am

Just wondered if anyone else has ordered and what they think.

From this year's offerings, I've ordered the Ba Xian, Xing Ren Xiang and the Ya Shi Xiang. In addition, Cindy very kindly sent me a sample of the Old Bush Mi Lan Xiang.

For reference, other Dancongs I have ordered in the last 2 years from them -

Song Zhong Phoenix Dancong 2020
Ban Tian Yao Wuyi 2020
Lao Cong Shui Xian Wuyi 2013
Ya Shi Xiang 2020 (which was her sister-in-law's)
Rou Gui Phoenix Dancong 2020
Lang Cai 2020
Shui Xian 2017
Mi Tao Xiang 2020

Just some sampling notes for the ones I have ordered this year.

Ba Xian - 2x Medium roast. Sweet charcoal smell dry. Some stronger green notes in first few infusions. Some minerality/roast comes through the first 3 infusions. Minimal sweetness. Too much green in middle infusions for my liking though the roasted notes come through. Balance is off for me unlike the Mi Lan Xiang sample Cindy sent me. Reminds me of the Mi Tao Xiang of 2020 in the forwardness of the green notes. Not unpleasant to drink but not one I would repeat. 10+ infusions though to be honest I rarely get beyond 10 the balance doesn't appeal to me

Xin Ren Xiang - 1x Medium roast. Sweet litchi aroma from the dried leaves + hints of dried nuts. On the greener side of Cindy's DCs though perhaps not as green as the Ba Xian above. Again some green notes integrated with some roasted notes in the first few infusions. Definitely better balanced with some nutty (hints of pistachio)/wood notes in the middle infusions. This one goes on for 12+ infusions and I do push this for as long as I can. Unlikely to repeat this year though I might try it next year.

Old Bush Mi Lan Xiang - This I reviewed on Cindy's site (so just almost copy pasting) - This is really very, very special and incredible value for what it is selling for. There's a fragrance of some mint/charcoal from the dry leaves. Early infusion are ok. Some green notes (again the mint comes through though it is not overpowering at all but there it is definitely subtly there) and early sweetness. The middle infusions though 4-8 ish are where it gets superb. What strikes me most is the balance of the tea. The early sweetness persists as do the green notes but the earthiness of the roast as well as the core of wood from the tea harmonizes in a way that few teas every achieve; truly a case where the sum is greater than the parts. It's definitely in the top 3 teas I have purchased ever and I have drunk a lot of oolongs. (I exclusively drink oolongs and only dancongs and wuyi rock teas at that). The kind of tea to savour slowly whilst trying to chase the notes. Words fail me :).

I have yet to open the Ya Shi Xiang but I expect I will in the next month or so. I go through about 100gms of tea on average a month. More in winter when it's cold. The last few months I'm doing 50-60gms at most. Bearing in mind I only got 25 gms of the Ba Xian/Xin Ren Xiang, I should be onto the YSX soon. I did get 100gms of the YSX though as Cindy tells me it's better than then one I bought last year (which was her sister-in-law's).

Anyone tried some of her other DCs this year? My next order is going to be her Wuyi Yanchas and aside from the MI Lan Xiang which I will be ordering if still in stock, I likely will not be ordering another DC this year (still have some from last year which I haven't opened though to be fair I am aging some of those).
dyungim

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:43 pm

Aritempor wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:37 am
For reference, other Dancongs I have ordered in the last 2 years from them -

Song Zhong Phoenix Dancong 2020
Ban Tian Yao Wuyi 2020
Lao Cong Shui Xian Wuyi 2013
Ya Shi Xiang 2020 (which was her sister-in-law's)
Rou Gui Phoenix Dancong 2020
Lang Cai 2020
Shui Xian 2017
Mi Tao Xiang 2020

Old Bush Mi Lan Xiang - This I reviewed on Cindy's site (so just almost copy pasting) - This is really very, very special and incredible value for what it is selling for. There's a fragrance of some mint/charcoal from the dry leaves. Early infusion are ok. Some green notes (again the mint comes through though it is not overpowering at all but there it is definitely subtly there) and early sweetness. The middle infusions though 4-8 ish are where it gets superb. What strikes me most is the balance of the tea. The early sweetness persists as do the green notes but the earthiness of the roast as well as the core of wood from the tea harmonizes in a way that few teas every achieve; truly a case where the sum is greater than the parts. It's definitely in the top 3 teas I have purchased ever and I have drunk a lot of oolongs. (I exclusively drink oolongs and only dancongs and wuyi rock teas at that). The kind of tea to savour slowly whilst trying to chase the notes. Words fail me :).

I have yet to open the Ya Shi Xiang but I expect I will in the next month or so. I go through about 100gms of tea on average a month. More in winter when it's cold. The last few months I'm doing 50-60gms at most. Bearing in mind I only got 25 gms of the Ba Xian/Xin Ren Xiang, I should be onto the YSX soon. I did get 100gms of the YSX though as Cindy tells me it's better than then one I bought last year (which was her sister-in-law's).

Anyone tried some of her other DCs this year? My next order is going to be her Wuyi Yanchas and aside from the MI Lan Xiang which I will be ordering if still in stock, I likely will not be ordering another DC this year (still have some from last year which I haven't opened though to be fair I am aging some of those).
I think my tastes are similar to yours, I also don't really like greener oolongs. Which of the previous ones in your list would you say are most similar to her Old Bush Mi Lan Xiang from Li Zhai Ping, i.e. less green than the Ba Xian and Xin Ren Xiang you tried? She added a new one from a different grower, I wonder if it compares.

I think her Ling Tou Bai Ye and Lang Cai are also less green, but hard to say, I haven't tried them in a while.