Experiments with High-Mountain O

Semi-oxidized tea
ShuShu

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:38 pm

For some time now I have been experimenting with high-quality Lishan (and some jin xuan for practice). I'm getting great results, but the great taste doesn't extend to the fourth steep.
I use about 4grams for 100ml pot. First and second steeps (about 40sec each) are amazing. Third brew (45-50 sec) is already weaker and the fourth, even if I let it sit for a 1.5 minutes... is rather weak.
Of course, I can add more leaf, but that will make the first steeps much too strong, I'm afraid...
Am I just spoiled? perhaps I'm just used to Pu-Erh? is it just the way it is?

How do u brew it?
Brent D

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:08 pm

Gaoshan just doesn’t have the steep count of pu. Plain and simple.
I use 5 grams to 100ml. 20s,30s,45s,1min,1:30,2min, 5 min.
The last 2 steeps are just to squeeze out what I can for the sake of trying
Bok
Vendor

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:23 pm

If your high mountain doesn’t last at least for 6 fragrant brews 1. You are not using enough leaves, or 2. the tea is not really high mountain and if inferior quality!

I do not use to weigh, but the simple rule people use around here in Taiwan is that the bottom of the pot should be covered in leaves. Afterwards adapt to results.

Really good quality gaoshan should be able to go for at least 8 rounds, I would say the max is 12, but with last few rounds decreasing in flavour a lot.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:26 pm

I think it depends on the quality of LiShan, and seasonal factors like Spring, Winter, grower etc. I often steep 6 to 7 times into the next day.
6.6gr/100ml/under boil/50sec....2nd/50sec, 3rd/110sec, 4th/3min, 5th/8min, 6th/16min, 7th/35+min etc... until overnight countertop steep.
5gr/100ml/205f/70sec.
Tillerman
Vendor

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:35 pm

I use 6g/100ml across all oolong teas and am experimenting with hotter water (just off the boil) and significantly shorter steep times. The results are very appealing. That said 1) as mentioned, gaoshan will not give you anywhere near the number of steeps as a say puer (just as a silver needles will not give you the same number of steeps ans a gaoshan) and 2) wouldn't you rather have 4 nice steeps (or 1 or 2) than 10 mediocre ones - I certainly would. Counting steeps is a mugs game (pun intended) that usually ends in disappointment.
Brent D

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:39 pm

Interesting Victoria. I know we use some of the same vendors. When I get steeps into the double digits, it gets too bitter for me.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Brent D wrote:
Interesting Victoria. I know we use some of the same vendors. When I get steeps into the double digits, it gets too bitter for me.
Never gets bitter for me, possibly it’s your water? I’m assuming you mean double digit steeping time, right.. My favorites for LiShan are Te Company, Floating Leaves and this years HY Chen’s Special LiShan (his regular I found so so).

p.s. What are you steeping in?
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:56 pm

So many variables. Makes answers difficult. On a pyschological basis, I'd say it's good to accept the demands of each particular tea once you
know them. That platitude may seem trite but it may also be profound. I usually use about 2.5 grams for 100 ml for oolongs to enjoy 3 infusions.
I do what brings maximum enjoyment, Good use of a weaker third infusion is combining it with the stronger infusions. I find it interesting to drink some of each infusion on its own and stack the rest.
Brent D

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:00 pm

Victoria wrote:
Brent D wrote:
Never gets bitter for me, possibly it’s your water? I’m assuming you mean double digit steeping time, right.. My favorites for LiShan are Te Company, Floating Leaves and this years HY Chen’s Special LiShan (his regular I found so so).

I enjoy floating leaves as well, and I’m never shy about my love for Chen.
I brew in porcelain and I have a modern zhuni. Good water. If I draw a steep our to 10 minutes I get a lot of astringents. I wouldn’t says it’s unpalatable, but compared to the first few steepings, I prefer to just toss the leaves and start over.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Brent D wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Brent D wrote:

I brew in porcelain and I have a modern zhuni. Good water. If I draw a steep our to 10 minutes I get a lot of astringents. I wouldn’t says it’s unpalatable, but compared to the first few steepings, I prefer to just toss the leaves and start over.
Maybe try lowering temperature a little to stretch out later steeps? Are you pouring under boil or 200f or 205f water on Outside of leaves in first and second steep, to preserve buttery sweetness ?... just a few thoughts :)
Brent D

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:40 pm

Victoria wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:26 pm
Brent D wrote:
Victoria wrote:

Maybe try lowering temperature a little to stretch out later steeps? Are you pouring under boil or 200f or 205f water on Outside of leaves in first and second steep, to preserve buttery sweetness ?... just a few thoughts :)
thats a good idea! I start at 195 and raise it after steep 4. I’ll try not raising it and making the steeps longer to see if that helps :P
debunix

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:59 pm

Before I give up on a mountain oolong, I nearly always set up one last many hour (overnight, or all day) steep, because the last cold infusion may be quite pleasant. It's better than one last hot steep that just tastes blah.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Victoria wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:26 pm
I think it depends on the quality of LiShan, and seasonal factors like Spring, Winter, grower etc. I often steep 6 to 7 times into the next day.
6.6gr/100ml/under boil/50sec....2nd/50sec, 3rd/110sec, 4th/3min, 5th/8min, 6th/16min, 7th/35+min etc... until overnight countertop steep.
5gr/100ml/205f/70sec.
In Taiwan Lishan often refers to a certain level of quality and not necessarily the origin only. Lishan should be top quality tea, if it is not, then it is probably a fake, nearby area, lower elevation, or in the worst case blended with tea from Vietnam or Thailand. Lishan is faked very often in Taiwan, less so than DYL but still more fake than real ones out there.

Not necessarily a big problem, as most fake Lishan are just on a nearby hill. But you can generally tell by the price tag which ones are likely fakes. So in summary I would not give the name and origin of the tea too much credit... trust your palate instead!

I would say Winter harvest can take more heat and longer steeps. Spring is more delicate.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:22 pm

Maybe add more leaves and then experiment with the duration until you figured out when it does not turn bitter!
It is a good indication of lower quality tea, when everything in terms of flavour is gone after one, two steeps. Gaoshan only.

I use those kinds of teas for large quantity office brewing, one brew and you toss it. :mrgreen:
tealifehk
Vendor

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:59 am

Good gaoshan oolong will give you more infusions than you likely want to drink! :lol: