Shan Lin Xi

Semi-oxidized tea
GaoShan

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:46 am

Before we get into the spring 2021 season, what do you think is the best Shan Lin Xi on the market? I like SLX with tropical (pineapple, coconut), floral, and vegetal/herbaceous flavours. Floating Leaves, Camellia Sinensis, and Taiwan Tea Crafts' Shibi Oolong have filled the bill in the past, but I'd be happy for more recommendations.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:27 am

Vegetal, herbaceous would indicate a lower elevation tea to me, not exactly how I’d expect my SLX to taste like.

Kind of difficult to describe the taste of SLX though: in a comparison I’d say, less sweet than Lishan and not as flat tasting as Alishan. But that’s probably not the most useful description ever made... apologies.
LeoFox

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:39 am

Get some from this guy

viewtopic.php?p=31293#p31293

You won't regret it
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:47 am

GaoShan wrote:
I like SLX with tropical (pineapple, coconut), floral, and vegetal/herbaceous flavours. ...
Tea grown higher would give you the flavors you like in a less pronounced way or perhaps I should say complex way. From the highest farms, I don't call this Shanlinxi because it is different than most SLX even though it comes from the same mountain.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:55 am

Bok wrote:

Kind of difficult to describe the taste of SLX though: in a comparison I’d say, less sweet than Lishan and not as flat tasting as Alishan. But that’s probably not the most useful description ever made... apologies.
I think this a useful way to describe it, Bok. (Well done.) Also, how the gaoshan is prepared makes a big difference which contributes to the differences in how we individuals taste it (of course).
GaoShan

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:42 pm

Bok wrote:
Vegetal, herbaceous would indicate a lower elevation tea to me, not exactly how I’d expect my SLX to taste like.

I think your description is apt. I'd just like to find a Shan Lin Xi that checks the tropical fruit and floral boxes without breaking the bank. :)
GaoShan

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:21 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:47 am
GaoShan wrote:
I like SLX with tropical (pineapple, coconut), floral, and vegetal/herbaceous flavours. ...
Tea grown higher would give you the flavors you like in a less pronounced way or perhaps I should say complex way. From the highest farms, I don't call this Shanlinxi because it is different than most SLX even though it comes from the same mountain.
That's true. However, I'd like to stay within US$10 to US$15 per ounce, so anything higher up the mountain, including Li Shan, is probably off the table. I wouldn't mind splurging for special occasions, though, so feel free to recommend teas that would fit this description.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:37 pm

GaoShan wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:21 pm
... However, I'd like to stay within US$10 to US$15 per ounce, so anything higher up the mountain, including Li Shan, is probably off the table. ...
I advise waiting until this Spring's tea is fully assessed & available. Some seasons there is excellent SLX in that price range. For me the luckiest finds were harvested late in the season but I am not suggesting that is long-term pattern one can rely on.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:07 pm

GaoShan wrote:
I think your description is apt. I'd just like to find a Shan Lin Xi that checks the tropical fruit and floral boxes without breaking the bank. :)
I am sure you'll find some good hints on where to look for these on this forum.

You might also want to have a look at Baozhong varieties, while they do not have the body or depth of the high mountains, they are strong on florals! For tropical fruit, I'd head into the more oxidised regions of the Oolong world. Sounds like Oriental Beauty would be a fit for you, but these do really break the bank in a major way... lucky me, I do not really like OB. It is one of the teas in Taiwan that really is almost not affordable to me (and I am sitting at the sources!), can not justify these prices. At least for what are considered true exponents of the genre by the locals.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:08 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:37 pm
or me the luckiest finds were harvested late in the season but I am not suggesting that is long-term pattern one can rely on.
I found the same thing! The earliest is often not the best, it just go there first :)
GaoShan

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:17 pm

Bok wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:07 pm
GaoShan wrote:
I am sure you'll find some good hints on where to look for these on this forum.

You might also want to have a look at Baozhong varieties, while they do not have the body or depth of the high mountains, they are strong on florals! For tropical fruit, I'd head into the more oxidised regions of the Oolong world. Sounds like Oriental Beauty would be a fit for you, but these do really break the bank in a major way... lucky me, I do not really like OB. It is one of the teas in Taiwan that really is almost not affordable to me (and I am sitting at the sources!), can not justify these prices. At least for what are considered true exponents of the genre by the locals.
I love Bai Hao oolongs, though I agree that they're very expensive. I enjoy the balance of tropical fruit, flowers, and veggies to be found in nice high mountain oolongs, though if you can find one without the veggies, please let me know.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:47 pm

GaoShan wrote:
I love Bai Hao oolongs, though I agree that they're very expensive. I enjoy the balance of tropical fruit, flowers, and veggies to be found in nice high mountain oolongs, though if you can find one without the veggies, please let me know.
Veggies? We must be drinking very different teas – or eat very different vegetables... never noticed any of that in the Gaoshans I am drinking. The closest has been a Bittermelon Yancha, which really had that kind of fresh green bittermelon notes.

As for sources, I buy locally sorry, nothing that faces the West :oops:
GaoShan

Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:52 pm

Bok wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:47 pm
GaoShan wrote:
Veggies? We must be drinking very different teas – or eat very different vegetables... never noticed any of that in the Gaoshans I am drinking. The closest has been a Bittermelon Yancha, which really had that kind of fresh green bittermelon notes.

As for sources, I buy locally sorry, nothing that faces the West :oops:
Maybe we're talking at cross purposes. When I say "vegetal," I mean the grass, spinach, and other flavours that accumulate when oolongs are steeped a few times.

Too bad you can't give me any recommendations. I've been thinking about Tea Masters and Wang Family Tea, though they apparently charge $25 to ship to Canada, so that might remain a fantasy. I've also bought from HuaYing Chen, though haven't had any of his lighter oolongs.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:26 am

GaoShan wrote:
Maybe we're talking at cross purposes. When I say "vegetal," I mean the grass, spinach, and other flavours that accumulate when oolongs are steeped a few times.
Sounds like you might over steep/cook your teas... maybe your vessel is too thick/large, staying to hot for too long, or you steep too long.
GaoShan

Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:41 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:26 am
GaoShan wrote:
Sounds like you might over steep/cook your teas... maybe your vessel is too thick/large, staying to hot for too long, or you steep too long.
I steep my oolongs at 6 g for 120 ml at 195F for 25/20/25/30/30/30/45/60/90/120 seconds. If anything, I'd think my steeps were too short. I have a run-of-the-mill porcelain pot, and was hoping for recommendations on how to improve my tea brewing vessel.