The timing of drinking infusions

Semi-oxidized tea
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:38 pm

Recently I have found that the amount of time between drinking rounds of a tea session great effect enjoyment of some teas.

For roasted oolong drinking one round quickly after another accentuates the power of the taste of roasting. It can make me feel a rough edge that is not there when drinking with a fair amount of time between drinking infusions. Sometimes it seemed that after a 2nd infusion that subtlety was being lost, but I now realize that it was the build-up of some flavors in my mouth, not the actual later brew that was the problem.

For unroasted oolong various flavors might get accentuated by drinking round after round quickly. Upsetting the balance of flavors gives me a diminished tea session.

We can concentrate on the quality of tea & water, finding ideal parameters for our preparation, & the effects of teaware & miss another factor, the way we drink. It matters.
26uk

Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:23 pm

Also due to longer or shorter stewing of the leaves with leftover water.

But I've never thought about it your way. Hmm
pedant
Admin

Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:16 pm

i don't think i've ever gotten a better result by waiting between infusions. sure, i let it cool a little bit before drinking so i don't burn my mouth, but i find i enjoy a session most if i drink it as fast as i can without rushing myself. if i get distracted and let the pot or gaiwan cool down, it's never quite as good.

thermal effects? flavor buildup in the mouth? or is it just being more engaged? idk
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:30 pm

I should have been clearer: I my usually steep one round after another quickly, though I drink those rounds with lots of time between them. Most of what I drink has been prepared well before it is drunk. Little of what I drink is hot.

I agree with major points brought up by both replies. One must consider leftover water. I do have the good habit of working to get liquid of each infusion out of the tea-preparing vessels. (Of course, it will never be 100%.) Also, although much of my drinking is not mindfully devoted to all the minutes of a tea-session, when I lift a cup to my lips, I don't look at a computer or tv screen. (I won't turn off good music.) Also, I will take my focus away from tv etc. between sips, just to suck in my cheeks & appreciate taste that is in my mouth that could be wasted.

Snowflakes just starting dancing in the air outside my windows. They come down hard at an angle & when the wind lets up, float in many directions. Cheers
Bok
Vendor

Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:08 pm

Some teas can turn a bit bitter when the cup is left for too long, I have noticed this especially with Dancong. Others bring out a sweetness which the hot cup does not exhibit.