Semi-oxidized tea
LeoFox

Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:59 am

Some every day rougui from daxuejiadao

IMG_20220830_115621_252.jpg
IMG_20220830_115621_252.jpg (214.93 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
Andrew S

Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:31 pm

Inspired by LeoFox's yancha sub-region post, I'm finishing my last little bag of DXJD's 2019 Wuyi heritage tieluohan from sanyangfeng.

Pushed much harder than last time, but an equally rewarding experience. Very nice tea. It takes me forever to open up a tea like this, but once I'm brewing it, it feels like each cup disappears instantly and I'm ready for the next one.

No photos; too busy enjoying the experience...

Andrew
Andrew S

Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:34 am

A very nice, fully-roasted Muzha tieguangin on a slightly dark and very windy day.

Andrew
Attachments
_MG_0371.jpg
_MG_0371.jpg (442 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
Andrew S

Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:37 pm

Two different yanchas today, one being roughly 20 times the price of the other. It's not really a comparison, since that wouldn't be fair, but it is nevertheless striking how differently the two teas present, even apart from things like roast and flavour profiles.

The 'cheap' one is lovely, rich, with a nice aftertaste and mouthfeel. It's made in a style that I enjoy, and it's a nice example of that style.

The expensive one is lovely in all those respects as well, of course, but it has a very nice purity of flavour and texture, a kind of 'perfumed' quality to the flavour for want of a better description, and a very persistent aftertaste which consists of both flavour and texture or sensation, with a minty cooling feeling and a lovely minerality (acknowledging that that's not a very helpful description for some people).

I've mentioned this kind of thing before, but a decade or more ago I would have been disappointed by the expensive tea, whereas today, I enjoy it very much (not every day, though...). If someone were to ask me whether it is 'worth' it, I'd try to deflect their question, but if someone starting out in yancha asked me whether they should buy it, I'd probably say that they should try other teas first. The value in a tea like this might not be immediately apparent, since it is more about purity, freshness and a vibrant feeling rather than strong flavours or exotic aromas.

Then again, if I had a tea session with someone in person, I can imagine situations where I'd serve them something like this without mentioning what it is or how much it costs, if I feel that they would appreciate it. That's the kind of thing that can only really be done in person, though, and unfortunately I think that drinking tea in the West tends not to be a particularly social experience most of the time.

Andrew
LeoFox

Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:23 pm

2020 milanwang - honey Orchid king from teahabitat.

OCTO

Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:59 am

Andrew S wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:37 pm
Two different yanchas today, one being roughly 20 times the price of the other. It's not really a comparison, since that wouldn't be fair, but it is nevertheless striking how differently the two teas present, even apart from things like roast and flavour profiles.

The 'cheap' one is lovely, rich, with a nice aftertaste and mouthfeel. It's made in a style that I enjoy, and it's a nice example of that style.

The expensive one is lovely in all those respects as well, of course, but it has a very nice purity of flavour and texture, a kind of 'perfumed' quality to the flavour for want of a better description, and a very persistent aftertaste which consists of both flavour and texture or sensation, with a minty cooling feeling and a lovely minerality (acknowledging that that's not a very helpful description for some people).

I've mentioned this kind of thing before, but a decade or more ago I would have been disappointed by the expensive tea, whereas today, I enjoy it very much (not every day, though...). If someone were to ask me whether it is 'worth' it, I'd try to deflect their question, but if someone starting out in yancha asked me whether they should buy it, I'd probably say that they should try other teas first. The value in a tea like this might not be immediately apparent, since it is more about purity, freshness and a vibrant feeling rather than strong flavours or exotic aromas.

Then again, if I had a tea session with someone in person, I can imagine situations where I'd serve them something like this without mentioning what it is or how much it costs, if I feel that they would appreciate it. That's the kind of thing that can only really be done in person, though, and unfortunately I think that drinking tea in the West tends not to be a particularly social experience most of the time.

Andrew
Sounds fun and very enjoyable.
Andrew S

Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:22 pm

OCTO wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:59 am
Sounds fun and very enjoyable.
Indeed; and I think that it's important to try to put things like price out of one's mind when trying an expensive tea. That just ruins all the fun (and can help to ruin the tea as well).

Andrew
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:43 pm

Andrew S wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:22 pm
Indeed; and I think that it's important to try to put things like price out of one's mind when trying an expensive tea. That just ruins all the fun (and can help to ruin the tea as well).
Andrew
+1
One can think about value for $ the next day.
Andrew S

Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:49 am

Once again, having that 2012 half-hand-made shuixian from EoT that I forgot about for a while. And it's very nice, once again.

I was wondering if anyone else around here has had much experience or success with ageing their own yancha or other wulong.

While I think that it isn't quire as risky or difficult as ageing puer, I admit that I wouldn't know what to do if I opened one of my bags and found that it had gone sour, had gone stale, or had become infested with creatures.

Andrew
polezaivsani

Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:15 am

So you, @Andrew S, had that shui xian sitting in it's original bag for a decade? Trying to mollify my woes about couple of such bags weathering a bunch of years till I get a nicer storage for them.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:27 am

Andrew S wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:49 am
I was wondering if anyone else around here has had much experience or success with ageing their own yancha or other wulong.

While I think that it isn't quire as risky or difficult as ageing puer, I admit that I wouldn't know what to do if I opened one of my bags and found that it had gone sour, had gone stale, or had become infested with creatures.
As long as they remain in their sealed original bags, very little can go wrong for most oolongs (provided that the base material and processing has been of good quality).
In my experience the best way is to buy more tea than what you can consume immediately and just forget about a few bags... at the very least 100g, any less is a waste of time and what if you love it a lot once aged, but have only aged a few grams?
Andrew S

Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:11 am

polezaivsani wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:15 am
So you, Andrew S, had that shui xian sitting in it's original bag for a decade? Trying to mollify my woes about couple of such bags weathering a bunch of years till I get a nicer storage for them.
Yes, about 200g in an airtight (but not vacuumed) bag. No special storage; just not opened, and kept in its bag in a big cardboard box at room temperature. But I don't live in a very hot, very cold, very dry or very humid part of the world, so I don't know if others need to do anything else to keep their teas safe.

Some Taiwanese tea that I kept in the original vacuum-sealed bag for around the same time turned out okay too; not as obviously aged or developed, but it did have some mildly aged flavours (less floral, more fruity) and some aged feeling to it, I suppose (not as 'exciting' but rather more 'calming').
Bok wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:27 am
at the very least 100g, any less is a waste of time and what if you love it a lot once aged, but have only aged a few grams?
Yeah... I kept 50g of a baijiguan yancha in a little jar for around a decade too. It was expensive for me back when I bought it, and I just wanted to see what would happen to it after a few years. A decade later, I finally remembered about it and opened it; and it was lovely, a fun little experiment, but then it disappeared after just a few sessions...

I'm thinking of opening up a few bags that I've got lying around that I bought a few years ago, and storing away some of the bags that I've bought more recently. The old stuff should be interesting at best, and just pleasant or mild at worst, and the new stuff might improve.

But I don't really know much about how yancha or other wulong ages. I think people say that there's a 'dumb phase', like with some wine. And like you say, it's got to be good enough to bother ageing it. I also guess that if it tastes good right now, then there's no point to ageing it, and it's better to drink it now (again, like wine).

If I've gotten it wrong, then I guess I'll try again in another decade or two, if I can...

Andrew
LeoFox

Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:09 pm

Some mi Lan xiang
Attachments
20220914_174539.jpg
20220914_174539.jpg (200.87 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
20220914_180516.jpg
20220914_180516.jpg (152.05 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
Last edited by LeoFox on Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew S

Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:16 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:09 pm
Some mi Lan xiang
Happy Fox day?

Andrew
LeoFox

Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:29 pm

Andrew S wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:16 pm
LeoFox wrote: