What Oolong Are You Drinking

Semi-oxidized tea
Tillerman
Vendor

Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:39 pm

Victoria wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:36 am
I ordered a few of Tillerman’s oolong this week after really liking his very fresh buttery sweet 2018 Winter LiShan, that I tried at the LA Tea Festival. Along with LiShan I ordered; Tian Chi High Mountain Oolong Winter 2018, Wenshan Bao Zhong Winter 2018, and Dong Ding (Laoshi) Winter 2018. The DongDing is produced by his teacher in Taiwan, Chen Huan Tang. Wow, this DongDing rocks, it is super aromatic roasted malty sweetness, nuanced complex spicy sweet evergreen/pine/herbaceous and muscat notes. Finding it hard to describe -except that it is excellent. The flavor and aroma are warming, and linger for a long while. It’s great to find top quality roasted DongDing.
Victoria, thank you for the kind words.
Victoria
Admin

Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:51 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:39 pm
Victoria, thank you for the kind words.
Curious now about your other DongDing, will place another order :) . You spoke of high pectin in Taiwan oolong leading to viscosity and thick mouth feel in the tea. This is really pronounced in your Laoshi Dong Ding. I’m sipping on it now and astounded how sweet and viscous it is. So good, thank you.
debunix

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:29 pm

Pectin? How interesting. That would definitely make sense as part of the mouthfeel of some teas....
Tillerman
Vendor

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:02 pm

debunix wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:29 pm
Pectin? How interesting. That would definitely make sense as part of the mouthfeel of some teas....
Pectin is an important component of tea leaves.
wuyiyancha

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:40 am

Victoria wrote:
The DongDing is produced by his teacher in Taiwan, Chen Huan Tang.
I got to meet this man last week and tasted several of his teas. The teas were very full bodied and delicous. I couldn't refrain from buying some. He's a very laid back kind of person i feel and humorous too. I also bought some delicious Dong Ding from him chances are it might be the same.
Today i went into a random teashop in Taiwan and the Dong Ding she had was an awful green mess that reminded me of nuclear green TGY. She went on to say that all Dong Ding that has a darker colour than golden yellow was the product of an accident. I got out of there fast. Such a dissappointment.
swordofmytriumph

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:49 am

Welcome fellow redditor, @wuyiyancha, I see you decided to take my invitation to join us! :D
wuyiyancha

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 am

swordofmytriumph wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:49 am
Welcome fellow redditor, wuyiyancha, I see you joined us after all!
Yes it seemed a good recommendation after scouring some posts. People seem more serious about their tea on here. Which i liked. So i joined. You are very observant for spotting me so fast!
Victoria
Admin

Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:46 pm

wuyiyancha wrote:
Victoria wrote:
I got to meet this man last week and tasted several of his teas. The teas were very full bodied and delicous. I couldn't refrain from buying some. He's a very laid back kind of person i feel and humorous too. I also bought some delicious Dong Ding from him chances are it might be the same.
Today i went into a random teashop in Taiwan and the Dong Ding she had was an awful green mess that reminded me of nuclear green TGY. She went on to say that all Dong Ding that has a darker colour than golden yellow was the product of an accident. I got out of there fast. Such a dissappointment.
What a coincidence. Which city did you meet Chen Huan Tang in? What a great opportunity to try many of his oolong. Where they mostly roasted? Wish I could have joined you.
Tillerman
Vendor

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:17 pm

Victoria wrote:
wuyiyancha wrote:
Victoria wrote:
What a coincidence. Which city did you meet Chen Huan Tang in? What a great opportunity to try many of his oolong. Where they mostly roasted? Wish I could have joined you.
Hi, Laoshi, my friend and mentor, has a little shop in Taipei, not far from Da'An Park. He is a dyed in the wool traditionalist (not to say old fashioned) and he will have no truck nor trade with any "awful green mess." Laoshi has tea gardens in a couple of different sites including Lishan and, of course, Dong Ding. All of his tea have his signature style which is higher oxidation (usually about 30 - 35%) and a careful roasting. Also, his tea are relatively loosely rolled which allows the roast to be even and complete. He speaks no English so if you are visiting and don't speak Mandarin (or Taiwanese) be sure to have someone with you who can help. A visit to Laoshi's tea shop is always my first stop when I travel to Taiwan and I highly recommend a visit when you travel to Taipei.
swordofmytriumph

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:26 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Hi, Laoshi, my friend and mentor, has a little shop in Taipei, not far from Da'An Park. He is a dyed in the wool traditionalist (not to say old fashioned) and he will have no truck nor trade with any "awful green mess." Laoshi has tea gardens in a couple of different sites including Lishan and, of course, Dong Ding. All of his tea have his signature style which is higher oxidation (usually about 30 - 35%) and a careful roasting. Also, his tea are relatively loosely rolled which allows the roast to be even and complete. He speaks no English so if you are visiting and don't speak Mandarin (or Taiwanese) be sure to have someone with you who can help. A visit to Laoshi's tea shop is always my first stop when I travel to Taiwan and I highly recommend a visit when you travel to Taipei.
Is that the stuff you have for sale on your site?
Victoria
Admin

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:13 pm

swordofmytriumph wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:26 pm
Tillerman wrote:
Is that the stuff you have for sale on your site?
Yes, Tillerman has a delicious rich roasted DongDing processed by Chen Huan Tang (Laoshi);
https://tillermantea.net/product/dong-d ... nter-2018/
oolongfan

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:38 pm

Dong Ding by Chen Huan Tang ..looks like yet another fabelous tea to try ;)
pizzapotamus

Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:43 pm

Tillerman's Winter LiShan from the fundraiser, brewed in a wood fired pot acquired via Bok. It's only the 2nd oolong I've had so I don't really have anything to compare it to but I'm really impressed by the fragrance, smells wonderful just pouring it out of the pot. The "galaxy" yunomi I'm drinking from isn't the best aesthetic match for the pot but it lets me stick my nose right in there to get the full aroma :D. I have also tried it "western" style which didn't really do much for me, aroma was too muted although the brew did still have some thickness to it.
li.jpg
li.jpg (130.1 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
debunix

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:48 pm

pizzapotamus wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:43 pm
The "galaxy" yunomi I'm drinking from isn't the best aesthetic match for the pot
Ultima Thule and the Milky Way, great match!
wuyiyancha

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:05 am

Victoria wrote:
Yes most of them were roasted. Some of his Lishan Teas had only a light roast but enough to release more flavour than the usual processing. I can't remember how many teas we tasted but i fondly remember that man how he kept getting up and walking into his back room always returning with a different tea to amaze us with.
I had the luck of being introduced by somebody who is a student of his, she took us to his shop in Taipei to taste some teas. I really like his teas. Especially the ones from more uncommon cultivars in Taiwan like Rougui/Wuyi and of course his Dong Ding offerings especially the guifei one. And his high mountain offerings are to me consistently better than the ones who are produced with less oxidation/roast that are most common in the market.
Maybe you will sit there someday tasting his teas if luck has it!