What Oolong Are You Drinking

Semi-oxidized tea
Bok
Vendor

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:20 am

@LeoFox it’s maybe not a fair comparison, the price of Tillermans Laoshi DD is very good for the quality, need to possibly compare it to much higher priced teas of other vendors.

Nice to see Peters pot in action. These really excelled with Taiwanese teas.
Balthazar

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:50 am

For those who have tried both, how does Tillerman's Laoshi DD compare to HY Chen's DD? Based on what I keep reading about the former is does seem like excellent value for the money.
LeoFox

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:05 am

Balthazar wrote:
For those who have tried both, how does Tillerman's Laoshi DD compare to HY Chen's DD? Based on what I keep reading about the former is does seem like excellent value for the money.
;)
Balthazar

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:42 am

I'm not about to do a search to see if you've compared them previously, there are limits to my interest in Taiwanese oolongs :mrgreen:
Victoria
Admin

Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:07 pm

Balthazar wrote:
I have posted about this a few times. They are both very good in their own way, and quite different. Laoshi’s roast is lighter, I use more leaf/water, and the tea shape/taste shifts each time presenting a slightly different aspect (curiously not everyone notices this). I’ve been having HY Chen’s DD pretty much every day, or every other day, since 2015 so it is has become my baseline to measure other DongDing. HY Chen’s depth, richness, complexity resonates with me, and is consistent even when there is too little, or too much, rain making up for those aspects in the roast. Laoshi DD has grown on me though, once I stopped comparing and just enjoyed it on its own terms. It is multi-layered, nuanced, and delicate with more feminine aspects. I’ll add that Laoshi doesn’t steep well in Hokujo stoneware, whereas HY Chen’s DD does. With Laoshi DD I now use a Taisuke Shiraiwa dense shudei kyusu, or a modern Zhuni pot, the more delicate aroma and flavors come through better in these two pots 🍃.
Balthazar

Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:21 pm

Thanks @Victoria! To stop comparing and just enjoying a tea on its own terms seems like the smart thing to do. Seems like I'm going to have to try Tillerman's DD as well and stray away from my accidental tradition of "one purchace of Taiwanese oolongs per year".

On the topic of HY Chen's teas, I've recently had some sessions with the organic garden DD. You quoted him as having described the organic tea as more fragrant and the 100 yrs garden more rounded. Seems spot on to me! Overall I do think I prefer the latter (if I forgot the sage advice of enjoying the tea on its own terms, and had to choose only one), but I'll probably include some of both in future orders.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:30 pm

Balthazar wrote:
Thanks Victoria! To stop comparing and just enjoying a tea on its own terms seems like the smart thing to do. Seems like I'm going to have to try Tillerman's DD as well and stray away from my accidental tradition of "one purchace of Taiwanese oolongs per year".

On the topic of HY Chen's teas, I've recently had some sessions with the organic garden DD. You quoted him as having described the organic tea as more fragrant and the 100 yrs garden more rounded. Seems spot on to me! Overall I do think I prefer the latter (if I forgot the sage advice of enjoying the tea on its own terms, and had to choose only one), but I'll probably include some of both in future orders.
I enjoy both his organic and 100 yr garden DD as well, and like you think I prefer the 100 yr, but then wonder if that is only because that’s what I’ve been comfortable with all this time, so I also try and put aside those preconceptions.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:58 pm

Balthazar wrote:
.... and stray away from my accidental tradition of "one purchace of Taiwanese oolongs per year"....
I love that phrase "accidental tradition"
Bok
Vendor

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:14 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:58 pm
Balthazar wrote:
.... and stray away from my accidental tradition of "one purchace of Taiwanese oolongs per year"....
I love that phrase "accidental tradition"
+1 – hilarious!

I've had a variety of that Laoshi's teas, including the one above. One is an old-timer, well respected and making tea for decades, one is the new kid on the block, who took over a neglected tea business. One has found his ways of making tea, one is still looking for his own expression. I do not think it's a totally fair comparison, on the other hand it is, as who cares about the background story – what counts is in the cup and comes out of the wallet, right?

In that sense Laoshi's teas are more refined and mature(explains why it does well in Zhuni). Cleaner tea soup, well processed – on the down side maybe expressed too conservatively sometimes (but that's alright at a certain age one is entitled to not do any compromises any more). CHY's teas are rougher, maybe more expressive. It wouldn't hurt if he'd give his leaves a little more rest. Laoshi's tea would normally easily cost double weren't it for @Tillerman excellent sourcing skills.

Both are good teas, and I think above what is often sold as Dongding.
klepto

Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:53 pm

Really enjoying the hong shui oolong from thetea.pl:

2020 "Stone Fruit" Dong Ding Hong Shui Oolong: First steep it tasted like a nice OB but the second and later steeps tasted like cherry wine. :o
2020 Ming Jian Organic Roasted Hong Shui: Tasted exactly like strawberry and black currant jam, good aftertaste too. :o
Victoria
Admin

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:43 pm

klepto wrote:

2020 "Stone Fruit" Dong Ding Hong Shui Oolong: First steep it tasted like a nice OB but the second and later steeps tasted like cherry wine. :o
2020 Ming Jian Organic Roasted Hong Shui: Tasted exactly like strawberry and black currant jam, good aftertaste too. :o
Wow, seriously sounds so good 🍃 I also had an excellent ‘17 Zhengyan Lian Hua Feng Shui Xian from them, posted about it a while ago. The yancha I had was a gift, so wondering how was shipping to USA @klepto ?
Victoria
Admin

Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:24 pm

Victoria wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:30 pm
Balthazar wrote:
Thanks Victoria! To stop comparing and just enjoying a tea on its own terms seems like the smart thing to do. Seems like I'm going to have to try Tillerman's DD as well and stray away from my accidental tradition of "one purchace of Taiwanese oolongs per year".

I enjoy both his organic and 100 yr garden DD as well, and like you think I prefer the 100 yr, but then wonder if that is only because that’s what I’ve been comfortable with all this time, so I also try and put aside those preconceptions.
Ok, so I did a side by side of HY Chen’s medium roast DD, winter 2020 DD - organic and 100 year garden, and winter 2019 - 100 year garden. I’ve enjoyed all three and was curious what, if any, differences there are. Used three same size cups (Seifu Yohei) with borrowed lids, since my gaiwan are different sizes and thicknesses. 4.6g/70ml/210f/1.13, 1.13, 2.30, 6min. I wish I’d doubled steep times to get more concentrated steeps.

Left to Right;
1. Winter 2020 medium roast Organic garden DongDing - aroma and liquor slightly sweeter and lighter body than #2, #3, least spicy lively.
2. Winter 2020 medium roast 100 year garden DongDing - aroma similar to #1 organic garden, body slightly richer than #1, well balanced and herbaceous.
3. Winter 2019 medium roast 100 year garden DongDing - most aromatic with richer deeper body, benefited from one year aging.

All three DD tasted flatter steeped in porcelain 70ml ‘gaiwan’ cups, the experience is much richer and more aromatic in Hokujo stoneware.
Wet leaf selection could have been more accurate since they are all a very similar size.

28991A77-A5B8-41D6-8F9A-71255A5F81DB.jpeg
28991A77-A5B8-41D6-8F9A-71255A5F81DB.jpeg (406.44 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
7C9AD4EE-F573-4330-906A-529E7122EE25.jpeg
7C9AD4EE-F573-4330-906A-529E7122EE25.jpeg (256.51 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
klepto

Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:49 pm

Victoria wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:43 pm
klepto wrote:

Wow, seriously sounds so good 🍃 I also had an excellent ‘17 Zhengyan Lian Hua Feng Shui Xian from them, posted about it a while ago. The yancha I had was a gift, so wondering how was shipping to USA klepto ?
I used Fedex but it was a bit slow.. I ordered from them to get some yancha varieties I hadn't tried but I picked up some hong shui and two versions of gui fei.

My order:
thetea.PNG
thetea.PNG (36.06 KiB) Viewed 3790 times
faj

Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:55 pm

Victoria wrote:
All three DD tasted flatter steeped in porcelain 70ml ‘gaiwan’ cups, the experience is much richer and more aromatic in Hokujo stoneware.
It is hard to find out what the best tea is if not making each tea the best it can be. Maybe you need three similar Hokujo pots and a rematch... :)
Victoria
Admin

Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:08 pm

faj wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:55 pm
Victoria wrote:
It is hard to find out what the best tea is if not making each tea the best it can be. Maybe you need three similar Hokujo pots and a rematch... :)
Haha, I do have three Hokujo kyusu that I only use with roasted oolong, except they are kind of large (250,250,200ml) for a solo side-by-side, and filling them 1/3 will not stay hot enough. Maybe three 100ml hongni yixing that I have could work.... but do I have the motivation to go another round :?