What Oolong Are You Drinking

Semi-oxidized tea
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:02 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:57 am
Toha0652, sadly, with climate change, the differences between the winter and spring harvest are becoming much less noticeable.
+1 Fortunately, when we work hard at sourcing, sampling, testing, & experimenting w/ parameters, we are still able to find teas that provide what we want most seasons. My advice for others, is that when they find teas they treasure, buy more while they know they can.
LeoFox

Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:35 pm

Just brewed an awful oolong from nilgiri india via vahdam: blue mountain oolong from nilgiri

Even at low temp - it was just disastrous. Fortunately, I only got 10g total as a gift sample. Will try cold brewing tomorrow
Last edited by LeoFox on Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tillerman
Vendor

Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:28 pm

@LeoFox, I can't speak to this tea in particular, however, most Indian "oolong" teas really aren't oolongs at all. To be sure, they are partially oxidized, but they are made using black tea methods, not oolong methods. What these really are is partially oxidized black tea - and yes, they are, in general, pretty horrific. That said, there are some interesting true oolongs from India and Sri Lanka that are not completely horrible (how's that for damnation with faint praise?) but for good oolong tea one still needs to go to Fujian and Guangdong in China or, of course, to Taiwan. Dogmatic....me???
klepto

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:23 am

Tillerman wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:28 pm
LeoFox, I can't speak to this tea in particular, however, most Indian "oolong" teas really aren't oolongs at all. To be sure, they are partially oxidized, but they are made using black tea methods, not oolong methods.
I've found that other places too. I'm not sure if anything is truly standardized but I've had black teas from other countries that taste like white teas but with more body. Teas labelled oolong but have green tea characteristics. Some teas had no leaf but the flavor came from the stem. Trying these teas from various countries is fun but not for the feint of heart. :|
LeoFox

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:15 am

I've had better experience with some darjeeling and Himalayan (specifically jun chiyabari) oolong. All of them do fare better brewed like Japanese greens- ie 80C or less.

When they are good, the aromatics are amazing.

Am doing a cold brew now in glass and it is much better - but ultimately not something I would recommend anyone getting.
Attachments
20211021_091235.jpg
20211021_091235.jpg (207.9 KiB) Viewed 3800 times
LeoFox

Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:13 pm

Fully handmade 2020 vietnamese oolong. A gift from a friend.

Much better than that garbage from nilgiri I just described above. Still, it is very unconventional- tastes more like a hong cha - and the flavor was quite weak, though its effects on my body were anything but.

After some time, the retronasal aromas are very sweet.

Brewed 5g/ 85 mL - off boiling.

A second session after a few days brought more flavor- mostly dark chocolate.
Last edited by LeoFox on Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew S

Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:46 pm

@LeoFox: is it perhaps processed a bit like an oriental beauty style of tea? (but without the bugs, I assume)

Andrew
Tillerman
Vendor

Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:46 pm

Andrew S wrote:
LeoFox: is it perhaps processed a bit like an oriental beauty style of tea? (but without the bugs, I assume)
@Andrew S. It could be but I suspect not; OB processing contains a couple of extra steps (e.g. softening the leaf) that would not likely be undertaken.
LeoFox

Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 pm

Andrew S wrote:
LeoFox: is it perhaps processed a bit like an oriental beauty style of tea? (but without the bugs, I assume)

Andrew
No idea how it is processed. Was basically an alien tea. From the way it looked, I did expect an OB like character. But yes - no muscatel and the later steeps become more and more reminiscent of ceylon black.
LeoFox

Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:04 pm

A much better oolong today: 2017 xiong di zai dancong from hojo

Last edited by LeoFox on Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
klepto

Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:21 am

A tea difficult to understand but easy to love:

Boseong County Hwangcha ('Yellow' Tea) from Korea, from the steeping room.

In my brain this tea is like a blend of two different oolongs and two different green teas.
It has a very creamy texture with a grainyness to it. The green tea side has florals, grain, nuttiness but
the oolong side has a nice complex sweetness with an aftertaste like you bit into a candy with a caramel center.
There is some vegetable notes but very much in the background.
its a lot to unravel but now I'm on the lookout for more Korean teas. Does anyone recommend any vendors for good Korean teas?

Chinese and Taiwanese tea are my true loves, Japanese tea is my side chick. if I begin to love anything else there might be trouble.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
debunix

Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:44 am

And I have written several times here about teas that I have gotten from Arthur Park at Morning Crane Tea, via his annual ’Tea buy Korea’. This year, Eric Glass joined him in the endeavor, and I hope that this amazing conduit for wonderful teas will continue on into the future.

However, this is a once a year opportunity where are they let you know in advance what is going to be available, you indicate what you want, and then there is often a good wait file orders are gathered and consolidated, teas are shipped from Korea, and then divided and sent to individual purchasers. Since I just got my 2021 teas, and I don’t expect another notice until early to mid 2022 if the buy goes ahead next year.

https://teabuykorea.blogspot.com/

is where I'd start to get connected.

This year, I ordered some new-to-me white teas, ddeokcha, and dancha in addition to much balhyocha.

And I've also ordered teas from:

https://www.hankooktea.com/

I have looked for other sources for Korean teas and have found sites not in English as well as lots of broken links.

I can say the white teas has been amazing, but haven't tried dancha or ddeokcha yet.
swordofmytriumph

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:04 pm

Drinking some medium roasted oolong I got from Ethan a couple years ago. Had it tucked away in its vacuum packed back for almost 2 years or something like that and finally opened it the other day.

It’s nice and roasty toasty but soft with no hard edges and super warming, an excellent choice for the blustery stormy weather Seattle is getting today.
Andrew S

Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:32 pm

2017 old tree mei zhan yancha from EoT.

I have found this tea to be incredibly easy to brew, regardless of how hard I've pushed it, or how careless or inattentive I've been.

It tastes simple but elegant, with a potent feeling for me; a combination of calmness and clarity.

Andrew
Attachments
_MG_9593.jpg
_MG_9593.jpg (188.92 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
Andrew S

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:39 pm

Daxue Jiadao's 2020 Queshe from Jiulongke to start the day.

All I can say is, what a beautiful and elegant tea...

Andrew
Attachments
_MG_9596.jpg
_MG_9596.jpg (197.01 KiB) Viewed 3530 times