What Oolong Are You Drinking

Semi-oxidized tea
Andrew S

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:35 pm

I started the day with a somewhat disappointing yancha, allegedly from hui yuan keng, but with very little information about what else it purports to be. It felt quite nice, but neither the flavour nor the feeling lasted very long, and it had a certain kind of 'roughness' or 'harshness' to the mouthfeel, with the roast dominating the rather simple flavour. It was a free sample included in a little teaware order, though, and not from my usual sources, so I can't complain too much.

I tried another one of the EoT gold medal sample teas to try to improve the day. This was the rou gui, which indeed did start off with a strong cinnamon side to it (unless that's just my mind playing tricks on me). The finish and aftertaste were long, and the flavours developed quite a lot from infusion to infusion. The initial aromatic side gave way to darker fruits and pleasantly herbaceous notes, but with a nice refreshing quality that I wast to call 'melon' flavour, even if that isn't really the right word for it (others here are much better at discerning and identifying flavours than I am).

This one was more in my preferred style of roast than yesterday's shui xian, even if that doesn't quite come across in the photos, whereas yesterday's shui xian gave me a more potent calming feeling, but they were both pleasant teas to try. I am conscious that it is hard to brew a tea as well as it can be brewed from just a single sample, so no-one should really pay much attention to what I say.

Andrew
Attachments
_MG_0101.jpg
_MG_0101.jpg (239.92 KiB) Viewed 3539 times
_MG_0102.jpg
_MG_0102.jpg (184.99 KiB) Viewed 3539 times
LeoFox

Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:32 pm

Opened up a vacuum sealed pack of 2021 laoshi dong ding from Tillerman. It is interesting just how much more powerful this tea is than any of the 2020 winter offerings from laoshi via Tillerman (except alishan). Maybe it is because 2020 winter truly was a bad season. Or maybe because this bag was vacuum sealed while the others from Tillerman that I had were not.

mbanu

Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:58 am

mbanu wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:29 am
mbanu wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:32 am
Still drinking a couple of Wing Hop Fung Tieguanyins I picked up back in August, the #1240 and the #1395. Initially I preferred the second one one, as the first one, labeled "Grate Aroma", had very little aroma by the time I got it (ambiguous age), but as the aroma on the second faded I think I've come to slightly prefer the Grate Aroma. :D Not really memorable teas, but drinkable roasted teas. That said, they suggest gongfu brewing and I have not been gongfu brewing, so I may not be getting the proper experience out of them.
Should have been a bit more quick in drinking these -- noticed today that they are old enough that they have started to develop waxy flavors. Most likely will gongfu the remainder.
Grate Aroma is taking to gongfu just fine. :) #1395 is struggling a bit, but that may go back to my poor gongfu skills.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:51 pm

A rare luxury… side by side comparison of the same Rougui, just harvested some time apart. Subtly different, but it’s there. The earlier harvest seemed nicer, which might only be attributed to the not yet receded roast of the later.
Attachments
602C6B8E-9FA8-4D99-810D-2A1DABE59BD8.jpeg
602C6B8E-9FA8-4D99-810D-2A1DABE59BD8.jpeg (201.63 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
E3EF14A6-48BE-475C-8363-5418D5F7C4C1.jpeg
E3EF14A6-48BE-475C-8363-5418D5F7C4C1.jpeg (188.09 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
Bok
Vendor

Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:52 pm

Side note: good opportunity to practice pouring a gaiwan with both hands left and right.
Andrew S

Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:22 am

@Bok: different times within the same year?

I see Spring and Winter harvests (or even more specific details) advertised all the time with other kinds of tea, but I can't recall the last time that I saw a yancha being advertised with that kind of detail.

Andrew
Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:24 am

Andrew S wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:22 am
Bok: different times within the same year?

I see Spring and Winter harvests (or even more specific details) advertised all the time with other kinds of tea, but I can't recall the last time that I saw a yancha being advertised with that kind of detail.

Andrew
A couple of months apart I think. You won’t likely find this advertised anywhere :) don’t think most Western facing vendors have that kind of swagger to request this kind of thing.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:38 am

Bok wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:24 am
A couple of months apart I think. You won’t likely find this advertised anywhere :) don’t think most Western facing vendors have that kind of swagger to request this kind of thing.
I would assume that when some tea from an early harvest seems to be better than most harvests, a decision would be made to get busy harvesting all of it. (Also that below-average-quality leaves would be given time to improve before they are picked.) We know that not all tea on can be harvested at the "perfect" time.

"Swagger" (only time that I have used this word) if held in limited quantity, should be saved for getting the tea which is harvested & processed ideally, or more simply put, obtaining the best tea. (If swagger does work to get it.) ;)

If you don't burn your fingers or spill too much when pouring from gaiwans in both hands simultaneously, please try the same tea in both & let us know which hand produces the best brew. :roll: (Swagger, friendship, etc. probably won't get this request fulfilled.) Cheers
Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:40 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
"Swagger" (only time that I have used this word) if held in limited quantity, should be saved for getting the tea which is harvested & processed ideally, or more simply put, obtaining the best tea.
For some it's just a matter of being curious, can only speculate.
Ethan Kurland wrote:
If you don't burn your fingers or spill too much when pouring from gaiwans in both hands simultaneously, please try the same tea in both & let us know which hand produces the best brew. :roll: (Swagger, friendship, etc. probably won't get this request fulfilled.) Cheers
I can only say, no fingers have been burned in the porcess, nor has any of that precious liquid been spilled. Except for the minimal difference in the not yet receded roast, I'd say they were both equally good. Liquid had the same approximate colour. A well-designed gaiwan is essential though :lol:
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:06 am

Bok wrote:

I can only say, no fingers have been burned in the porcess, nor has any of that precious liquid been spilled. ..
You are a better man than I am. Burns & spills occur often when I use a gaiwan (only one at a time, even w/ both hands).
Bok
Vendor

Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:22 am

Ethan Kurland wrote:
You are a better man than I am. Burns & spills occur often when I use a gaiwan (only one at a time, even w/ both hands).
I wouldn't say better – just equipped with fine motor skills. Also does not make any difference to the tea if you spill or burn your hands alongside, although it might temper with your enjoyment, or provide relief after injury.
Last edited by Bok on Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
pedant
Admin

Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:24 am

haha. just put less water in it.
mbanu

Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:42 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Bok wrote:

I can only say, no fingers have been burned in the porcess, nor has any of that precious liquid been spilled. ..
I am not a fan of gaiwans for gongfu for the same reason. The handle on a teapot is so useful!

To stay on topic, I am still drinking through the Wing Hop Fung "grate aroma" tieguanyin. :)
RayClem

Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:45 pm

I have large hands, fat fingers and arthritic joints. I find it impossible to handle a gaiwan without burning my fingers. I do like the concept of brewing small quantities with multiple steepings and then combining the brews in a fairness pitcher. Thus, a small porcelain pot with a handle works well.

The last oolong I consumed was a Dan Cong Mi Lan Xiang (Phoenix Oolong Honey Orchid flavor). Mine was from Teamotea. It is an enjoyable tea with slight sweetness and floral and fruity notes.
Bok
Vendor

Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:28 pm

RayClem wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:45 pm
I have large hands, fat fingers and arthritic joints. I find it impossible to handle a gaiwan without burning my fingers. I do like the concept of brewing small quantities with multiple steepings and then combining the brews in a fairness pitcher. Thus, a small porcelain pot with a handle works well.

The last oolong I consumed was a Dan Cong Mi Lan Xiang (Phoenix Oolong Honey Orchid flavor). Mine was from Teamotea. It is an enjoyable tea with slight sweetness and floral and fruity notes.
I prefer pots as well in general. Large hands should not be the main issue, mine are quite large as well and with the technique I use I don’t need to bend the joints much. I think the design of the gaiwan you used might be tbe problem, or not yet familiar with the technique…

In any case if you have a vessel that you prefer not reason to waste more time with a gaiwan.