What Oolong Are You Drinking

Semi-oxidized tea
tealifehk
Vendor

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:45 pm

Brent D wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:58 pm
Having some 2013 half handmade shui Xian yancha from eot.
So smooth and well balanced. It’s so easy to just enjoy the overall profile of this tea. I have to really concentrate to focus on any one particular charecteristic of this tea. Has aged very well. I received this second hand. Wish I could have tried when new.
I liked that tea too--there was a mild note of something I correlate with 'cheap' tea lurking underneath, but the roast had been done so well and it really was a pleasure to drink.
_Soggy_

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:35 pm

Trying to finish off some Muzha TGY from Floating Leaves from last year.
tealifehk
Vendor

Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:41 am

Day two of Vietnamese oolong from 2014 that I reroasted in 2015 or so. So flavorful! Light sweetness and an intense osmanthus aroma after the roast. The fact it went two days is testament to the quality. I really like this tea now and I'm glad I didn't toss it!
tealifehk
Vendor

Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:18 am

Drinking a special high grade high roast DHP from one of HK's oldest tea companies. I've been buying this company's shuixian and DHP for many years, but their standard DHP is a blend (and a very good one). Their SX is excellent as well and I LOVE the stuff. I don't sell either of the two, but perhaps I should...after checking their current standard grades out!

They had a higher grade DHP I'd never tried for 3x the price. Bought it and...it was almost entirely devoid of flavor.

It's been over a year since I got it and it's actually improved considerably. I guess the fire has receded some. Still nothing to write home about though and the flavor is mild. I think the base material was good but perhaps it didn't take the high roast too well. Not something I'd buy again!

Meanwhile, I have some of their standard shuixian from several years ago in front of me in a tin, and it has aged beautifully! :o I don't understand their sales strategy but I guess I was one of the dummies who bought the fancy DHP! :(
OldWaysTea
Vendor

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:08 pm

Having some 2016 hua xiang shui xian. It has a nice roast and flavor in mouth, but I'm not feeling the chahai fragrance today. It is coming across more like a wet humid scent than the fragrance I would like.
Chris418

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:11 pm

Having this morning a 2017 spring Bao Zhong followed by a 2016 medium roast Dong Ding from Hau Ying Chen.
teaformeplease

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:09 pm

Da Hong Pao from Seven Cups. Perfect for a very frigid day. I'll be parked in front of the electric fireplace ;)
Victoria
Admin

Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:37 pm

I’ve been enjoying Té Company‘s highest grade of OB, ‘Oriental Beauty Grand’, from Emei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan. I first sampled this after walking 20 minutes in 10 degree weather, so it was really welcome. This is probably the best OB I’ve had so far; rich, silky sweet, elevated aromatics lasting through many steeps. Hints of orange, rose, muscat, and honey linger especially in the first three steeps. In the winter I’ve been reaching for higher oxidation and or higher roasts, this one is 70% oxidized, and a medium roast. Made some new friends, wish we had a great tea shop like this in LA. Federico, Elena’s husband, is a great chef also serving delicious food in sync with their teas. They have hosted Tea and Food Pairing events as well.
Almost all gone, just enough left to share.

debunix

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:14 pm

That sounds like a lovely tea.

No oolong today at all....I had a bit of Long Jing to start my day, and some shu puerh this afternoon. Very odd.
century

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:37 pm

Duck Shit Oolong From Mei Leaf.
Kinda “meh” for me. Maybe I’ve been drinking too much ripe ! lol
Victoria
Admin

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:10 pm

Traveling with HauYu Chen’s roasted oolongs and over the past few days have made several landings on my way back to Los Angeles. I typically let teas I travel with rest to acclimatize at least two days. This time rather than open new sealed bags, I opted use a few of his teas that I traveled with that had only rested 24 hours. Using a 50/50 mixture of his Roasted High Mountain and Charcoal Heavy Roasted 100 Years garden the results were stellar. Complex evergreen notes popped up that I had not detected before. I love experiencing how his roasted oolongs slowly evolve.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:59 pm

Victoria wrote:
Traveling.... I typically let teas I travel with rest to acclimatize at least two days.
Seems your pleasure will not be denied, Victoria. And you keep it interesting.
I don't know how bad it is for short trips.... The very long hauls in airplanes throw me off (probably due to dry nose). I drink the cheapest of my teas for a couple of days or so. I have assumed tea in carry-on luggage is not effected much. While in flight I've enjoyed Ruby black 18 and ruby black 21. I go to the galley for hot water rather than ask for it to be brought to me..
Victoria
Admin

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:26 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:59 pm
Victoria wrote:
Traveling.... I typically let teas I travel with rest to acclimatize at least two days.
Seems your pleasure will not be denied, Victoria. And you keep it interesting.
I don't know how bad it is for short trips.... The very long hauls in airplanes throw me off (probably due to dry nose). I drink the cheapest of my teas for a couple of days or so. I have assumed tea in carry-on luggage is not effected much. While in flight I've enjoyed Ruby black 18 and ruby black 21. I go to the galley for hot water rather than ask for it to be brought to me..
That must be the answer Ethan; I have been placing all my travel teas inside my carry-on. Fewer climate and air pressure fluctuations inside cabin, as opposed to belly of plane. Also, I travel with a saline spray to counteract dry air inside airplane.
Tillerman
Vendor

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Have a burgeoning head cold so am treating myself to some superb Lishan Winter 2017 that i purchased directly from the grower on my last trip. The fantastic aroma cuts right through any stuffiness - and the length in the mouth is wonderful. Sadly, it is almost gone and I doubt I can get more (but I do have her card - just in case.)
iGo

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:56 pm

Delightful roasted Lishan oolong at Fang's Gourmet in frigid Flushing, NY.