What Oolong Are You Drinking

Semi-oxidized tea
Victoria
Admin

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:29 pm

Nearing the end of dieKunstdesTees Mi Xiang Oolong. I’ve really enjoyed this one a lot, the sweet evergreen aroma and liquor that lingers for a long time. Only thing I could want more of is viscosity.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Enjoying a traditional roasted Shui Xian varietal made in Lian Hua Feng area of the Zhengyan Protected Area, within the Wuyi Mountains. From 'The Tea' shop in Poland, which @Shine Magical kindly shared with me. Really superb aromatics and flavor profile for the first 5 steeps, then tappers off, but still has presence if the steeps are extended.

Natural light at sunset on dry leaf in antique Set-ware bowl, sipping away so had to use artificial light and iPhone on 4th steep leading to difference in color. Steeped in Yamada Sou kyusu and sipping from Taisuke Shiraiwa bowl.

Zhengyan Lian Hua Feng ShuiXian Seto-ware bowl L1010241.jpg
Zhengyan Lian Hua Feng ShuiXian Seto-ware bowl L1010241.jpg (661.81 KiB) Viewed 7197 times

Zhengyan Lian Hua Feng ShuiXian Sou Taisuke Shiraiwa IMG_0340.jpg
Zhengyan Lian Hua Feng ShuiXian Sou Taisuke Shiraiwa IMG_0340.jpg (597.58 KiB) Viewed 7197 times
Victoria
Admin

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Wow, sipping on the last bit of a super aromatic and flavorful winter roasted oolong from die Kunst des Tees Taoyuan (roasted) Winter Oolong 2016. This rocks, it has perfect rich body and viscosity, matched by complex aromatics and flavor profile. The aroma and flavor is really warming, hard to describe exactly but it has rounded notes of sweet fruit, roasted chestnuts, with a very subtle background of sweet pine and camphor appearing. Used more leaf this time and results were perfecto: 6.6gr/100ml/under boil/50sec. in 110ml 80s F1 hongni shuipin.

I am fascinated how each vendor’s unique personality and flavor preferences are expressed by their selection of teas. Kwon Ying von Beuningen the owner of die Kunst des Tees has a very sophisticated palate, right in line with my taste :) .
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:27 pm

Victoria wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:06 pm

I am fascinated how each vendor’s unique personality and flavor preferences are expressed by their selection of teas. Kwon Ying von Beuningen the owner of die Kunst des Tees has a very sophisticated palate, right in line with my taste :) .
It is great to understand a source for teas and/or have a source understand his customer. Life is so pleasureable when we can turn to vendors for much of what we want without worrying that we have a good chance of disappointment. That tea sounds delicious. Cheers
Victoria
Admin

Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:09 pm

@Ethan Kurland this morning I was looking for my open pack of your delicious honey biscotti aroma Black Championship but couldn’t find it, so instead I went for a heavily oxidized roasted TW oolong I had open. Wow, the contrast couldn’t be greater, this oolong I’m having is like a badly burnt weak coffee. I wonder if it doesn’t like my water, because the first time I had it at a friends house it wasn’t so bad.

7EF0B064-BB4B-417B-AC62-9D0273A39743.jpeg
7EF0B064-BB4B-417B-AC62-9D0273A39743.jpeg (210.99 KiB) Viewed 7089 times
mudandleaves
Vendor

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:11 pm

Hong Kong high-roast Shuixian. This was a favourite everyday yancha of mine, although I don't drink wulong as much anymore. I find the benshan lüni rounds out the high roast teas nicely.
IMG_5687.JPG
IMG_5687.JPG (171.42 KiB) Viewed 7042 times
Rui

Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:06 am

Roasted Tie Guan Yin from White2Tea club. My wife's favourite type of tea and today I decided to have a one day break from pu'er.
Flavor Hedonist

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:32 am

I just had some Pear Mountain Oolongs from Mountain Stream Teas. I drank the Winter Pick first then I had the Snow Pick right away. I have been comparing the differences in picking seasons the past few days and here are my findings:

I find the Fall Pick to be the most warming among them. It also has a spicy Ceylon cinnamon note that sets it apart. It also has the most apparent butter flavor note and it also has an oily mouthfeel which I described as melted butter. Since it is from Pear Mountain, there is an Asian pear note towards the finish.

I find the Spring Pick to be soft and balanced. The floral and butter notes are subdued and balanced. Then, it transforms into intense notes of tart and juicy green apple and Asian pears.

I find the Winter Pick to be very similar to the Spring Pick. However, I find that the floral notes are much, much stronger in the first few steeps then it dies down to reveal the soft butter notes and the green apple and Asian pear notes. It is also a very refreshing tea comparable to the Snow Pick.

I find the Snow Pick to be the most refreshing among all the picks. It takes a lot of steeps before it opens up. So, it begins as light, refreshing with subdued floral and cream notes. However, once it opens up, it gives off notes of Asians pears, lime zest, unripe pineapple and even mint. It even has a slight cooling sensation that I get from some Puerhs. I find this to have the least amount of Asian pear note.
d.manuk

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:12 am

22AAACA2-50AC-4411-BBC0-1CCAC35F2B5A.jpeg
22AAACA2-50AC-4411-BBC0-1CCAC35F2B5A.jpeg (218.5 KiB) Viewed 6844 times
I’m having Tian Chi oolong from Tea Masters. I enjoyed drinking it the first time so I reordered some more along with 2 other daily drinkers.

The taste is delicate, has a brightness that tingles your tongue, and has a high mountain Taiwanese oolong flavor but no fruity notes like you can get with DYL. It has a thin body. Perhaps some minerality as well given it’s closeness to Fushoushan.

The taste of the first brew made me visualize frogs and porcelain when trying to figure out how to describe the flavors.

I’m hosting a tea meetup tomorrow so I am going to serve it fresh (1 day opened packet) and 2 sheng puers from my pumidor.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:45 pm

@Shine Magical that tea sounds like a perfect fit with your very fine cup. The thin cup is beautifully contrasted with the rough and ready wood fired Taiwan pot from Bok. Can you share something about the cup; is this The one you’ve been searching for? Also, is the wood fired pot glazed inside, if not how is it interacting with your teas? Glad to hear you are enjoying TeaMasters selections, seems like his selections are a good match with your palate as well.
d.manuk

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:26 pm

Victoria wrote:
Shine Magical that tea sounds like a perfect fit with your very fine cup. The thin cup is beautifully contrasted with the rough and ready wood fired Taiwan pot from Bok. Can you share something about the cup; is this The one you’ve been searching for? Also, is the wood fired pot glazed inside, if not how is it interacting with your teas? Glad to hear you are enjoying TeaMasters selections, seems like his selections are a good match with your palate as well.
The cup is Tianbaiyou Handmade White Jingdezhen Porcelain Cup from @mudandleaves; they no longer have this type in stock. I want to buy a larger set of similar teacups for when I host tea sessions but I need to research and test suitable replacements before committing to a large order of cups.
This cup is wonderful for fragrant oolongs like Taiwanese gaoshan. The cup is somewhat narrow but tall so it brings the aromas right to your nose as you drink. In fact it touches the base of my nose when I drink. At first I found it strange but I have grown to love the teacup. It reminds me a little bit of sniffing cups sometimes used in tea ceremonies but this is actually used for drinking.
I do prefer a rougher clay cup for sheng puer and I'm still using the one my friend gifted to me because I have yet to find one I prefer over it.

The wood fired pot is not glazed inside and is developing a great inner patina. It's hard to get a good picture of it and it looks much nicer in person.
IMG-0073.JPG
IMG-0073.JPG (155.4 KiB) Viewed 6823 times
Bok
Vendor

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:16 pm

@Shine Magical even the outside seems to have changed quite a bit, at least from how I remember the pot! Lovely how the interior develops! I just love pots that grow along us.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:46 pm

Bok wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:16 pm
Shine Magical even the outside seems to have changed quite a bit, at least from how I remember the pot! Lovely how the interior develops! I just love pots that grow along us.
The interior really is stunning against the dark somber exterior, like a galaxy.
mudandleaves
Vendor

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:43 pm

Shine Magical wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:26 pm
Victoria wrote:
Shine Magical that tea sounds like a perfect fit with your very fine cup. The thin cup is beautifully contrasted with the rough and ready wood fired Taiwan pot from Bok. Can you share something about the cup; is this The one you’ve been searching for? Also, is the wood fired pot glazed inside, if not how is it interacting with your teas? Glad to hear you are enjoying TeaMasters selections, seems like his selections are a good match with your palate as well.
The cup is Tianbaiyou Handmade White Jingdezhen Porcelain Cup from mudandleaves; they no longer have this type in stock. I want to buy a larger set of similar teacups for when I host tea sessions but I need to research and test suitable replacements before committing to a large order of cups.
This cup is wonderful for fragrant oolongs like Taiwanese gaoshan. The cup is somewhat narrow but tall so it brings the aromas right to your nose as you drink. In fact it touches the base of my nose when I drink. At first I found it strange but I have grown to love the teacup. It reminds me a little bit of sniffing cups sometimes used in tea ceremonies but this is actually used for drinking.
I do prefer a rougher clay cup for sheng puer and I'm still using the one my friend gifted to me because I have yet to find one I prefer over it.

The wood fired pot is not glazed inside and is developing a great inner patina. It's hard to get a good picture of it and it looks much nicer in person.
IMG-0073.JPG
The tea cups have been restocked:
https://www.mudandleaves.com/store/p405 ... g_Cup.html
Bok
Vendor

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:43 pm

Been drinking lightly oxidised Duckshit Dancong (last years harvest) for the last few weeks... never had greenish DC before and it is quite surprising!

Superficially(very), it reminds me of some Baozhongs I had in the past, yet so much more powerful. Strong throat feel, but with flowery notes. The tea keeps going on easily for 12 rounds! Can take some heat as well, no need for cooled down water. Some of the leaves were enormous, almost did not fit the cup. Outwardly dark when dry, though clearly returning to green once brewed. Lovely aftertaste and throatfeel which keeps lingering forever!

After some tests in various clays, it find it is still best enjoyed in thin porcelain.