What Oolong Are You Drinking

Semi-oxidized tea
Victoria
Admin

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:07 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:25 pm
Victoria yes I did. Of course brewed by a different person yields a different result and I don’t know for sure what kind of quality he made for me, but it was still radically different to the CAQ. I’ve had other aged dongding and other aged Taiwan Oolongs, none had this kind of explosion of fragrances and layers, changing from cup to cup.
Sounds really ideal Bok and so special to have tried a Chen Ah Qiao DD. Thinking about it the best 80s DD I’ve had was rich, with fruity sweet plummy notes, complex with maybe some camphor too. It was a wow session for those of us sharing.
LuckyMe

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:30 pm

Iced Shibi high mountain oolong. The best gaoshan in TTC's lineup in my humble opinion.
nasalfrog

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:54 pm

LuckyMe wrote:
Iced Shibi high mountain oolong. The best gaoshan in TTC's lineup in my humble opinion.
Good to know if I start finding some of their others underwhelming. I just finished a sample of that and found it very enjoyable. I’m new to TTC and have very little experience with Taiwanese tea in general.
Tillerman
Vendor

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:07 pm

nasalfrog wrote:
LuckyMe wrote:
Good to know if I start finding some of their others underwhelming. I just finished a sample of that and found it very enjoyable. I’m new to TTC and have very little experience with Taiwanese tea in general.
TTC is an extremely good vendor.

@nasalfrog, if you are just starting your exploration of Taiwanese tea, you are in for some real treats, in my biased opinion.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:59 pm

Tillerman wrote:
nasalfrog wrote:
LuckyMe wrote:

nasalfrog, if you are just starting your exploration of Taiwanese tea, you are in for some real treats, in my biased opinion.
I highly recommend you also try Tillerman’s oolong, high quality Taiwan oolong, shipped directly from Napa, Ca. Very fair price point also.
Tillerman
Vendor

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:20 pm

@Victoria, thank you for your nice compliment.
nasalfrog

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:48 pm

@Tillerman & @Victoria My first order for Taiwanese tea was going to be an organic gaoshan (from what I recall) that was available from Tillerman a few months ago. Must have been around October/November. At the time I was still debating whether or not to get into the world of Taiwanese tea, and I decided to sleep on it before ordering... well the next day I decided to dive in, and, of course, it was sold out :lol:

I jumped on TTC’s anniversary sale a few weeks later. I generally drink organic tea, but I may branch out once I finish my mostly Japanese tea stash (I’ve cut myself off so I will hopefully need more when the spring season arrives).
Tillerman wrote:
...if you are just starting your exploration of Taiwanese tea, you are in for some real treats, in my biased opinion.
I believe you! Taiwanese tea is what got me into tea about 20 years ago. A friend gave me some that his mother acquired while traveling. I was simply told it was green oolong. It must have been lightly roasted since it held up pretty well over a few months. I spent the next couple of years trying to find tea like that again... tea on the internet was fairly nonexistent... spent, I think $90 for 2oz of tea from a Ten Ren shop while visiting NYC, only to be greatly let down. Republic of Tea... no... Rishi... no... Did an Adagio tea monthly sample subscription and did not find anything remotely close to it... so I left the tea world and went into coffee only to pick tea back up a few years ago.
LuckyMe

Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:08 am

nasalfrog wrote:
LuckyMe wrote:
Shibi lies between Shan Lin Xi and Ali Shan and captures some of the best aspects of these terroirs. I've been ordering this one from TTC for quite a few years now and although every harvest varies, it's been consistently good. It's also a personal favorite of the owner.

As others have stated, TTC is indeed a reputable vendor. What makes them unique from other online tea shops is the massive selection. Everything from budget to competition teas, rare and experimental batches, etc. There are some occasional duds, but for the most part their teas are of good quality.
I believe you! Taiwanese tea is what got me into tea about 20 years ago. A friend gave me some that his mother acquired while traveling. I was simply told it was green oolong. It must have been lightly roasted since it held up pretty well over a few months. I spent the next couple of years trying to find tea like that again... tea on the internet was fairly nonexistent... spent, I think $90 for 2oz of tea from a Ten Ren shop while visiting NYC, only to be greatly let down. Republic of Tea... no... Rishi... no... Did an Adagio tea monthly sample subscription and did not find anything remotely close to it... so I left the tea world and went into coffee only to pick tea back up a few years ago.
Ah I remember those dark ages of tea all too well. When Temple of Heaven Gunpowder tea and subpar Jasmine was the only loose leaf green tea that could be found in stores and Teavana was the best one could do. *shudder* In my case, it was through Rishi that I was accidentally introduced to Taiwanese oolongs. At the time I was searching for a lightly oxidized tea for Kashmiri chai and stumbled upon Rishi at Whole Foods. I remember being floored when I first tried their Baozhong and Si Ji Chun - so lush and flowery. I didn't know tea could even taste like that. That's what began my journey into oolongs and Taiwanese tea. Fortunately, the online tea world was beginning to flourish around this time and that really helped open up my experience and introduced me to many wonderful teas.
nasalfrog

Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:41 am

Much thanks to everyone for the vendor information & recommendations!

@LuckyMe, do you have a preference for the winter or spring harvest of the Shibi? My sample was from the spring harvest, so, if you have tried the winter harvest, what’s different about it?
klepto

Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:11 pm

Tillerman wrote:
nasalfrog wrote:
LuckyMe wrote:

nasalfrog, if you are just starting your exploration of Taiwanese tea, you are in for some real treats, in my biased opinion.
I got a nice haul of samples from them. Many other vendors don't provide half as much information as they do, and the tea was fresh with de-oxygen packs in every sample bag. i just bought 2 250g bags of the my favorite oolongs and more samples. I love TTC!
LuckyMe

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:47 am

@nasalfrog the one I just had was the winter harvest. I do have a pouch of spring picked Shibi that I haven’t opened yet. In general, spring high mountain tea and baozhong seem fuller, complex, and more viscous. Winter tea has a clearer flavor and more nectar sweetness though it may not give as many steeps. Those are just my impressions from the teas I’ve tried. I like tasting the unique characteristics of both harvests though for baozhong I do prefer winter tea.

I’m sure vendors and others more familiar with Taiwanese oolongs can provide greater insight about difference between spring and winter harvested tea.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:00 am

For Taiwanese teas, the general difference is: spring is more fragrant is more about the aromas, winter has more body and longer lasting aftertaste. Although these differences seem to fade a bit with climate change...

I never noticed a difference in how many infusions I could get out of them, that is more linked to the general quality of the tea in question.
nasalfrog

Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:30 am

Thanks for your insight! I always enjoy reading everyone’s take. I was going through my stash yesterday afternoon and realized I did actually order a 10g sample of the winter harvest. I am sipping on it right now. There is more body and aftertaste for sure.

...the smell of the dry and wet leaves... the flavors and aromas of my cup... gaoshan is definitely the type of tea I originally had, and what I was looking for over 20 years ago, but remained elusive.

IMG_0691.jpg
IMG_0691.jpg (755.24 KiB) Viewed 6297 times
Victoria
Admin

Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:42 pm

@nasalfrog nice image. If you have a more rounded teapot, with smaller opening, I recommend using that for oolong, to maintain heat more evenly while steeping. With a big opening those leaves will cool very quickly, great for Japanese greens, but not so much for oolong that takes off boiling water. Your steeped liquor looks so rich, yum.

This morning enjoying DaYuLing to celebrate the Lunar New Year. Super buttery smooth, with high minerality, thick mouthfeel warming lingering sensation that lasts for a long time with strong salivation. The minerality gives some popping effervescence too. I’m surprised how fresh this DaYuLing still is, I think it’s now 2+ years stored in a vacuum sealed pack from HY Chen. Leaves have very slight oxidation and a lightly roasted. I could have this everyday, reminds me of a time when I enjoyed LiShan every morning.
nasalfrog

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:11 pm

Victoria wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:42 pm
...If you have a more rounded teapot, with smaller opening, I recommend using that for oolong, to maintain heat more evenly while steeping. With a big opening those leaves will cool very quickly, great for Japanese greens, but not so much for oolong that takes off boiling water...
Thank you for the tip. I have a small porcelain gaiwan and pot on order that I purchased specifically for use with this kind of tea. My Kohokujo pot has the shape you describe and a very small opening, so I will try using that in the meantime.