Semi-oxidized tea
octopus
Vendor

Tue May 22, 2018 10:56 am

Victoria wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:08 pm
octopus wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:54 am
by the way, I realize the quality that makes zhengyan rougui special might be hard to recognize. it is a strong flavor called yanyun. with enough experience drinking yancha however this can be recognized and regardless if liked or disliked is what makes certain tea special. banyan teas can have yanyun too it just varies in intensity usually and is not as common. I don't recommend zhengyan tea for those unfamiliar with yun taste not because anyone would dislike it but because what is special about it might go unnoticed, one can easily be cheated and would generally enjoy it just as much as a very nice and well made banyan tea that costs 5 times less.
Thank you for your quality Rougui and cool packaging designs. With your Daoshuikeng Rougui, I felt an expansive cooling feeling /aftertaste in my mouth, maybe camphor or peppermint like. When you speak of Yan Yun with yancha can you describe this a bit more? I interpret this as rock minerality after effect, that I have found in certain quality Taiwan high mountain oolongs, like FuShoushan. I also tasted high notes of rock minerality in Origin Tea’s ‘2004 Wuyi Hui Yuan Nei GuiDong (FengFeKeng) Tie LuoHan’ & in 2088 Tea’s ‘2015 Wu Yuan Jian Ban Tian Yao handmade’. With rock minerality, I experience a certain effervescent minerality, as an after effect, coating the inner mouth.
Hello and thank you for your comments, i find quite interesting to read comments about the tea even if i have no idea what mineral taste or peppermint mean etc. I guess the moral of this topic is that language doens't help much in tea drinking and we all taste things in different ways and give different names. However, no matter how we call the tea doesnt really change so maybe what i call yanyun you call camphor or peppermint or minerality i cannot know. It is why don't think describing flavors notes in teas has much use, it is easier to drink tea to find out its flavor.

Now what do I mean by yanyun? when you drink a rougui what you will definitely have is a rougui cultivar flavor+flavors of processing and picking+eventual roasting+age of tea and storage flavors etc. After drinking many rougui teas these will all have somehow variances on these notes. There are some though, which will have a flavor that isn't from those variables but is something else, that i call yanyun is this flavor given by growing in certain terroir in wuyishan.

Now how do you make sure you recognize it? only way is to drink a lot of teas starting from many banyan rougui to be able to recognize first rougui cultivar in a blind tasting. After you drink a lot of zhengyan rouguis the more you drink the more you will see a pattern: all the zhengyan teas will have the same underlying flavor besides all those others, lets call this new flavor yanyun.

For an extra help, I recommend to keep the first infusion to drink cool as last, the very first brew is probably the best and the yun will be very clear, when it cools down it will be even more clear. Try to do this test: brew one or more normal banyan rougui (a regular rougui that is not advertised as having yun ofc just to be sure, i guess the more you have the better) alongside the zhengyan rougui you have and save the first cup of them. Leaves look the same but try to notice if there is a difference in fragrance but if you can't at the end of the session without even drinking these cold cups just smell the soups. You will hopefully notice a clear difference. drink them and see.

In short when you feel very confident you can recognize zhengyan tea in a blind tasting you know what is yanyun flavor. However takes quite some time of drinking yancha to start to see the differences of flavors so don't worry too much and try to enjoy the tea.
Tillerman
Vendor

Tue May 22, 2018 2:50 pm

octopus wrote:
... so don't worry too much and try to enjoy the tea.
Hear, hear.
Victoria
Admin

Tue May 22, 2018 4:30 pm

octopus wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:08 pm
octopus wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:54 am
by the way, I realize the quality that makes zhengyan rougui special might be hard to recognize. it is a strong flavor called yanyun. with enough experience drinking yancha however this can be recognized and regardless if liked or disliked is what makes certain tea special. banyan teas can have yanyun too it just varies in intensity usually and is not as common. I don't recommend zhengyan tea for those unfamiliar with yun taste not because anyone would dislike it but because what is special about it might go unnoticed, one can easily be cheated and would generally enjoy it just as much as a very nice and well made banyan tea that costs 5 times less.
Thank you for your quality Rougui and cool packaging designs. With your Daoshuikeng Rougui, I felt an expansive cooling feeling /aftertaste in my mouth, maybe camphor or peppermint like. When you speak of Yan Yun with yancha can you describe this a bit more? I interpret this as rock minerality after effect, that I have found in certain quality Taiwan high mountain oolongs, like FuShoushan. I also tasted high notes of rock minerality in Origin Tea’s ‘2004 Wuyi Hui Yuan Nei GuiDong (FengFeKeng) Tie LuoHan’ & in 2088 Tea’s ‘2015 Wu Yuan Jian Ban Tian Yao handmade’. With rock minerality, I experience a certain effervescent minerality, as an after effect, coating the inner mouth.
Hello and thank you for your comments, i find quite interesting to read comments about the tea even if i have no idea what mineral taste or peppermint mean etc. I guess the moral of this topic is that language doens't help much in tea drinking and we all taste things in different ways and give different names. However, no matter how we call the tea doesnt really change so maybe what i call yanyun you call camphor or peppermint or minerality i cannot know. It is why don't think describing flavors notes in teas has much use, it is easier to drink tea to find out its flavor.

Now what do I mean by yanyun? when you drink a rougui what you will definitely have is a rougui cultivar flavor+flavors of processing and picking+eventual roasting+age of tea and storage flavors etc. After drinking many rougui teas these will all have somehow variances on these notes. There are some though, which will have a flavor that isn't from those variables but is something else, that i call yanyun is this flavor given by growing in certain terroir in wuyishan.

Now how do you make sure you recognize it? only way is to drink a lot of teas starting from many banyan rougui to be able to recognize first rougui cultivar in a blind tasting. After you drink a lot of zhengyan rouguis the more you drink the more you will see a pattern: all the zhengyan teas will have the same underlying flavor besides all those others, lets call this new flavor yanyun.

For an extra help, I recommend to keep the first infusion to drink cool as last, the very first brew is probably the best and the yun will be very clear, when it cools down it will be even more clear. Try to do this test: brew one or more normal banyan rougui (a regular rougui that is not advertised as having yun ofc just to be sure, i guess the more you have the better) alongside the zhengyan rougui you have and save the first cup of them. Leaves look the same but try to notice if there is a difference in fragrance but if you can't at the end of the session without even drinking these cold cups just smell the soups. You will hopefully notice a clear difference. drink them and see.

In short when you feel very confident you can recognize zhengyan tea in a blind tasting you know what is yanyun flavor. However takes quite some time of drinking yancha to start to see the differences of flavors so don't worry too much and try to enjoy the tea.
Thank you for your detailed reply. During our next LA tea club tasting at my house, I’ll set aside time for us to compare various Rougui I have here, and will save 1st cup of each also to compare at the end. With both of your Rougui I did set aside 1st cup, and was amazed how much better and richer the cool liquor tasted. I tend to let some oolongs cool before sipping, to taste a richer flavor profile, but with the Rougui the flavor was noticeably even more enhanced by cooling. My understanding is Yan Yun is describing a ‘rock feel’, and or ‘rock minerality’, resulting from rocky soil high in minerals found in Wuyi cliff teas, so comparing various Rougui from different areas may help to clarify this one way or the other.

I do think it is possible to describe what a tea tastes like, though some are more adept at doing so than others. One of our club members, av360logic, is expert at this, I believe it involves the ability to verbalize complex nuanced flavors. His descriptions seem to express exactly what other members are tasting. Maybe those vendors who are challenged with descriptions, as I am sometimes, can send him samples and in return he can describe the taste. He’s studying linguistics and I’m sure would appreciate doing an exchange :)
Bok
Vendor

Tue May 22, 2018 8:12 pm

Victoria wrote:
Thank you for your detailed reply. During our next LA tea club tasting at my house, I’ll set aside time for us to compare various Rougui I have here, and will save 1st cup of each also to compare at the end. With both of your Rougui I did set aside 1st cup, and was amazed how much better and richer the cool liquor tasted. I tend to let some oolongs cool before sipping, to taste a richer flavor profile, but with the Rougui the flavor was noticeably even more enhanced by cooling. My understanding is Yan Yun is describing a ‘rock feel’, and or ‘rock minerality’, resulting from rocky soil high in minerals found in Wuyi cliff teas, so comparing various Rougui from different areas may help to clarify this one way or the other.

I do think it is possible to describe what a tea tastes like, though some are more adept at doing so than others. One of our club members, av360logic, is expert at this, I believe it involves the ability to verbalize complex nuanced flavors. His descriptions seem to express exactly what other members are tasting. Maybe those vendors who are challenged with descriptions, as I am sometimes, can send him samples and in return he can describe the taste. He’s studying linguistics and I’m sure would appreciate doing an exchange :)
I found that interesting as well, a Teashop owner in Shanghai told me the same thing once, while I was tasting Yancha. However he mentioned that it is only useful with good quality teas, for medium or lower quality there would be no point.

If - IF - the teas I think I tasted Yun-Flavour, then I would describe it as such:
> A certain dry feeling on the tongue (in a distant way like a dry wine)
> Something that reminded me of when being kids and playing outside the smell of water drying on hot rocks
> Similar taste to when you then lick that hot stone :roll: Ah nice being kids...

Overall it is kind of a sensation that seems to cover the whole mouth, but in a less obvious, more subtle way than compared to a high mountain tea.
I had it only a few rare times in Yancha, and only in some samples of teas I could never afford to buy, gifted by a kind and generous tea friend...
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed May 23, 2018 6:31 am

Bok wrote:
> Something that reminded me of when being kids and playing outside the smell of water drying on hot rocks
> Similar taste to when you then lick that hot stone :roll: Ah nice being kids...
Am I the only one who never licked a hot stone?
Thanks for serious efforts here in discussion of describing flavors. Cheers
Last edited by Victoria on Wed May 23, 2018 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: fixed quote
Bok
Vendor

Wed May 23, 2018 9:11 am

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Bok wrote:
I am sure you did, you probably just do not remember it!

Revisiting Three-Stamp Shuixian from TealifeHK: I really have to say, this comes as close to a sort-of-budget-nice-everyday-Yancha as I have gotten so far. Much cheaper than comparable offerings and one I am adding into my regular rotation of teas for the moments when I want a change from Taiwanese teas *not often, but it happens*.

It is not as clean in the mouth as others, has a certain dustiness to it for the lack of a better term. Not unpleasant, one might also describe it as dry. Has some endurance to it and if brewed with attention, offers quite a few enjoyable rounds. Falls off quickly though if the water is not kept at a high temp!
Janice

Wed May 23, 2018 11:54 am

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Bok wrote:
I’m with you. I grew up in the city where licking a rock or stone would be like licking the sidewalk!
Victoria
Admin

Wed May 23, 2018 11:59 am

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Bok wrote:
:) As a child I licked a few hot rocks too. The rock mineral flavor I refer to is more like minerals popping around in the mouth. Maybe closer to the mineral taste of Gerolsteiner sparkling mineral water (without the effervescence).

This NYT article about wine and terroir parallels what may be happening with tea as well. Tillerman may be able to shed some light on this as well.
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/styl ... ref=slogin

“The different soils produced different flavors, but they were flavors of fruit and of the yeast fermentation. What about the flavors of soil and granite and limestone that wine experts describe as minerality — a term oddly missing from most formal treatises on wine flavor? Do they really go straight from the earth to the wine to the discerning palate?
No.
..... “Plants don’t really interact with rocks,” explains Mark Matthews, a plant physiologist at the University of California, Davis who studies vines. “They interact with the soil, which is a mixture of broken-down rock and organic matter. And plant roots are selective. They don’t absorb whatever’s there in the soil and send it to the fruit. If they did, fruits would taste like dirt.”

p.s. I wonder if mineral rich soil in Hawaii also provides certain teas with this Yan Yun profile? since it’s mineral rich soil also eroded from volcanic rock, as in Wuyi. But then, as the article above discussed, it really depends on the skill of the farmer and the producer.
tealifehk
Vendor

Wed May 23, 2018 12:06 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:11 am
Ethan Kurland wrote:
Bok wrote:
I am sure you did, you probably just do not remember it!

Revisiting Three-Stamp Shuixian from TealifeHK: I really have to say, this comes as close to a sort-of-budget-nice-everyday-Yancha as I have gotten so far. Much cheaper than comparable offerings and one I am adding into my regular rotation of teas for the moments when I want a change from Taiwanese teas *not often, but it happens*.

It is not as clean in the mouth as others, has a certain dustiness to it for the lack of a better term. Not unpleasant, one might also describe it as dry. Has some endurance to it and if brewed with attention, offers quite a few enjoyable rounds. Falls off quickly though if the water is not kept at a high temp!
Glad you're enjoying it, Bok! It definitely needs high heat and I fill my shuipings (I know you love them ;) ) to 50% with settled dry leaf. I only do 4 infusions from the Three Stamp, but some people really push the stuff!
octopus
Vendor

Thu May 24, 2018 12:33 am

Victoria wrote:

You are welcome, about yanyun I think yes that is more or less what I mean. Literally means "melody of the cliffs" which sounds better to me than saying "rock feel" or "mineral flavor" also because we can see how already we got in few messages to literally licking stones while I think is just a poetic name that has nothihg to do with the actual flavor of a rock. It is simply a name coming from the location (same yan of yancha) which has yes, steep cliffs along where tea is grown.

I don't write descriptions of tea flavors because it goes against my personal way of tea drinking and I don't think is a good thing to do. When I drink tea is to experience the tea and its flavor rather than find notes of other things in it like the wine sommelier kind of colorful flavor wheels and such. So for example rougui tastes like rougui thats about it although I quite enjoy reading what my customers think about the teas and find in them. Is quite fun when is genuine rather than induced by expectations. I don't really like to talk about tea in general, it is better to just drink it. I feel already quite uncomfortable to write so much now but I hope at least it can give some people a different perspective maybe.

Although please remember it is just one perspective, I would never say it is the best or only way. Everyone is free of finding their style and I think many shops and drinkers make quite colorful writings or videos of multiple flavors or experiences. In my description I try to be as short as possible while conveying certain information and end up using terms such as yanyun or congwei or chenwei because they dont really describe anything other than being a name for the flavor thats in the tea already. In the future I might change to a different style though cause it still causes some confusion, the less i say the less one is limited and more can experience the tea for what it is.

Or as a wise friend once told me when I asked him what a certain tea he sells was like: "you just have to drink it if you want to know. if i told you this tea tastes like codfish all you will think about when drinking it is codfish"
Last edited by octopus on Thu May 24, 2018 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bok
Vendor

Thu May 24, 2018 12:46 am

octopus wrote:
I don't write descriptions of tea flavors because it goes against my personal way of tea drinking and I don't think is a good thing to do. When I drink tea is to experience the tea and its flavor rather than find notes of other things in it like the wine sommelier kind of colorful flavor wheels and such.
I have never understood this obsession with descriptions either (although I am guilty of having licked the rock :mrgreen: ). In the end who are we to say it tastes like Cinnamon when you could just as well say that Cinnamon tastes like Yancha?

It won't help anyone either, as every human perceives taste, colour and sound different to the next.

As you said, just drink the tea and don't worry too much what it is supposed to taste like.
Teachronicles

Thu May 24, 2018 1:00 am

Bok wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:46 am
octopus wrote:
I don't write descriptions of tea flavors because it goes against my personal way of tea drinking and I don't think is a good thing to do. When I drink tea is to experience the tea and its flavor rather than find notes of other things in it like the wine sommelier kind of colorful flavor wheels and such.
I have never understood this obsession with descriptions either (although I am guilty of having licked the rock :mrgreen: ). In the end who are we to say it tastes like Cinnamon when you could just as well say that Cinnamon tastes like Yancha?

It won't help anyone either, as every human perceives taste, colour and sound different to the next.

As you said, just drink the tea and don't worry too much what it is supposed to taste like.
I find when I'm looking for descriptors when drinking a tea, I don't enjoy it as much as just allowing myself to drink and experience the tea. In a way I taste it less when I go in looking for something. I think that could apply to many things in life, being free from expectations, and just enjoying the moment.
Tillerman
Vendor

Fri May 25, 2018 8:55 am

Victoria wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:59 am
Ethan Kurland wrote:
Bok wrote:
:) As a child I licked a few hot rocks too. The rock mineral flavor I refer to is more like minerals popping around in the mouth. Maybe closer to the mineral taste of Gerolsteiner sparkling mineral water (without the effervescence).

This NYT article about wine and terroir parallels what may be happening with tea as well. Tillerman may be able to shed some light on this as well.
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/styl ... ref=slogin

“The different soils produced different flavors, but they were flavors of fruit and of the yeast fermentation. What about the flavors of soil and granite and limestone that wine experts describe as minerality — a term oddly missing from most formal treatises on wine flavor? Do they really go straight from the earth to the wine to the discerning palate?
No.
..... “Plants don’t really interact with rocks,” explains Mark Matthews, a plant physiologist at the University of California, Davis who studies vines. “They interact with the soil, which is a mixture of broken-down rock and organic matter. And plant roots are selective. They don’t absorb whatever’s there in the soil and send it to the fruit. If they did, fruits would taste like dirt.”

p.s. I wonder if mineral rich soil in Hawaii also provides certain teas with this Yan Yun profile? since it’s mineral rich soil also eroded from volcanic rock, as in Wuyi. But then, as the article above discussed, it really depends on the skill of the farmer and the producer.
"Terroir" is the great black hole of discussions about wine - it seems no light can escape. I've made a stab at it in my piece https://tillermantea.net/2017/02/tea-terroir-taste/. "Terroir" often is so narrowly defined as to be useless or so widely defined as to be meaningless. What is certain, however, is that "terroir" doesn't mean soil, or earth or anything like that. I have opted for "sense of place" as the best English rendition of the concept but I realize that this flirts with the too "widely defined" end of the spectrum. Mark Mathews, quoted above, of UCD is an anti-terroirist - he doesn't believe it exists at all. And he "proves" this by defining "terroir" (incorrectly) as soil and then noting absolutely correctly that wines (and by extension, other plant derived beverages such as tea) do NOT get their minerality form components of the soil. (A recent contribution to a FB group discussion contended, absurdly, that the "bean" taste evident in some Taiwanese teas is due to the use of soy bean husks in the gardens. Nope. As one commentator noted - if that were true then using manure as a fertilizer would make all of the tea taste like shit.) It is well established science that minerality and similar tastes come from chemicals in the plant and are accentuated or diminished due to agricultural practices and even more so by human actions in the processing of the fruit or leaves. But these human actions also are a part of "terroir." And the micro-climates, orientation and elevation of the "place" also are important in giving teas their distinctive qualities. "Terroir" in teas can easily be masked due to processing but a true artisan will bring it to the fore. Only the most skillfully processed yancha, from the right location will exhibit the minerality that many seek - not because it is in the soil but because the tea master is a person of great talent. And now if you would turn to hymn number....
Victoria
Admin

Fri May 25, 2018 1:05 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:55 am
"Terroir" is the great black hole of discussions about wine - it seems no light can escape. I've made a stab at it in my piece https://tillermantea.net/2017/02/tea-terroir-taste/. "Terroir" often is so narrowly defined as to be useless or so widely defined as to be meaningless. What is certain, however, is that "terroir" doesn't mean soil, or earth or anything like that. I have opted for "sense of place" as the best English rendition of the concept but I realize that this flirts with the too "widely defined" end of the spectrum. Mark Mathews, quoted above, of UCD is an anti-terroirist - he doesn't believe it exists at all. And he "proves" this by defining "terroir" (incorrectly) as soil and then noting absolutely correctly that wines (and by extension, other plant derived beverages such as tea) do NOT get their minerality form components of the soil. (A recent contribution to a FB group discussion contended, absurdly, that the "bean" taste evident in some Taiwanese teas is due to the use of soy bean husks in the gardens. Nope. As one commentator noted - if that were true then using manure as a fertilizer would make all of the tea taste like shit.) It is well established science that minerality and similar tastes come from chemicals in the plant and are accentuated or diminished due to agricultural practices and even more so by human actions in the processing of the fruit or leaves. But these human actions also are a part of "terroir." And the micro-climates, orientation and elevation of the "place" also are important in giving teas their distinctive qualities. "Terroir" in teas can easily be masked due to processing but a true artisan will bring it to the fore. Only the most skillfully processed yancha, from the right location will exhibit the minerality that many seek - not because it is in the soil but because the tea master is a person of great talent. And now if you would turn to hymn number....
I’ve been meaning to read that article of yours; good material, very knowledgeable and thought provoking as well. Makes sense to include more than just the soil in defining terroir; the artisan’s hand in processing the leaves, micro-macro-meso-climate, the farming methods, microorganisms of a particular area, geology ... With tea each step of the way seems to factor in to the experience, from planting, to the art of steeping, to finally sipping. Key in the process is the artistry and craft of; farming, processing, storing, and steeping, to that end result the cup in your hand. Pivotal is the skill of a tea master’s craft and knowledge, which can bring all of these factors together, highlighting certain aspects over others, to create superb or just mediocre tea.
Victoria
Admin

Sat May 26, 2018 4:58 pm

While reorganizing a large bin I have filled with many different teas Ferg has shared with me and the LA Tea Club, I came across Origin’s (sadly closed) 2010 Dong Ding Co-op Competition Oolong. Wow, wow, wow, this is some of the best DongDing I’ve ever had (and I have had a lot), excellent aromatics, and rich complex flavor profile. Spicy sweet, evergreen notes, smooth, full bodied lingering sweet palate, like walking in a forest. The Best. I’m surprised it has aged so well considering it is a low roasted DongDing. So I google it to see if anyone had written about it, and :lol: I found my own post from last year, over at the old TC, praising it’s glory. It seems Ferg gave me a small sample last year, and then sent me the rest this year :) thank you Ferg. Now I’d like to thank Tony for his superb sourcing skills, and making so many excellent teas available to us, but I sadly don’t know how to reach him.