What Oolong Are You Drinking

Semi-oxidized tea
Bok
Vendor

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Victoria wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:14 pm
In Naples there is the ‘pizza police’, if you want to call it a Neapolitana it has to be correctly made to specifications.
Totally off-topic, saw a video prank, where they sent pizza delivery guys out in Naples, adding pineapple to people's ordered pizza... they were going nuts, some almost wanting to lynch the delivery guy :mrgreen:

As to names, I think for some it makes sense to stay true to the origin, for others what matters more is the cultivar used, not so much where it is grown. Puerh for example is also grown in bordering areas, which have almost identical soil and environment, does that make it less Puerh? Same goes for Nepali teas, same leaf, almost same growing conditions, same taste in most cases.

Using Alishan leaf with Tieguanyin processing methods on the other hand is not really a TGY anymore, but a hybrid and should be named as such.

Lishan can only be from Lishan, it is simply the name of the place! The general name would be High mountain tea XYZ-Shan.
Psyck

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:50 am

That reminds me - I'm all out of Blue-Shan High Mountain tea.

(Nil=blue, giri=mountain)
d.manuk

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:17 am

I'm having a very pleasant morning session with Dayuling courtesy of @Ethan Kurland. Thank you very much for willing to part with this tea.

The tea has a light floral note, a nice thick body, and a surprising lingering note of cherimoya. Such a pleasant and sweet after taste, I hope I'll still be able to taste it in my future sessions with this tea. Cherimoya is probably my favorite fruit (since it's not very accessible in NYC) so it's a nice surprise to encounter it in today's tea session. At the rate I'm drinking it at work, I'll have the last of this tea on my birthday... what a great way to lead up to that day.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:30 am

Bok wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Lishan can only be from Lishan, it is simply the name of the place! The general name would be High mountain tea XYZ-Shan.
And the name carries weight. I was contacted by a co-operative of farmer/tea producers who listed most of their teas by cultivar but Alishan, Lishan, & Shanlanxi were exceptions to that. I give them credit for also listing how high up those mountains the tea was grown.

They also called themselves "peasants". I am not used to people call themselves peasants & find it charming.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:38 am

Shine Magical wrote:

The tea has a light floral note, a nice thick body, and a surprising lingering note of cherimoya.
I am really happy to read what you taste. Great example of different feelings about one tea, since I did not think "thick body" (nor thin body). I also cannot remember whether I have eaten cherimoya so would think of it, of course. We both got the same enjoyment of aftertaste.

One reason I may notice body is that I have used very little leaf.

I made a small mistake not getting more of the DYL. I got more excited by foushoushan because until recently I did not have it available to me.
d.manuk

Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Shine Magical wrote:

The tea has a light floral note, a nice thick body, and a surprising lingering note of cherimoya.
I am really happy to read what you taste. Great example of different feelings about one tea, since I did not think "thick body" (nor thin body). I also cannot remember whether I have eaten cherimoya so would think of it, of course. We both got the same enjoyment of aftertaste.

I made a small mistake not getting more of the DYL. I got more excited by foushoushan because until recently I did not have it available to me.
Since this was my first time tasting the tea, I used my typical parameters for Taiwanese oolongs: 5.5g / boiling water/ 1.75min first steep/ in the 110 ml Taiwanese clay pot Bok sent me.
I like that the TeaForum community is starting to permeate throughout my tea sessions. :lol:
Victoria
Admin

Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:26 pm

Shine Magical wrote:
Ethan Kurland wrote:
Shine Magical wrote:

Since this was my first time tasting the tea, I used my typical parameters for Taiwanese oolongs: 5.5g / boiling water/ 1.75min first steep/ in the 110 ml Taiwanese clay pot Bok sent me.
I like that the TeaForum community is starting to permeate throughout my tea sessions. :lol:
Yes it’s nice when you have a tea and teaware from other members, kind of like having them as visitors in your home. Curious, have you tried less time? With 5.5gr/110ml I typically go to 1min. on 1st and 2nd steeps.

Just this morning as I was savoring HY Chen’s medium roast DongDing, I was thinking why I like quality Taiwanese oolong so much; along with wonderful aroma and flavor profiles is the viscosity and thicker body that coats the mouth. It has a presence that lasts and lingers in such an enjoyable way.
d.manuk

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Yes I've tried 1m, but I tend to have a personal preference for a stronger flavored tea. Usually 1:20 is the shortest I steep Taiwanese oolongs for and those tend to be Baozhong which aren't rolled into balls.
I'm always willing to experiment though.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:24 pm

Shine Magical wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:05 pm
Yes I've tried 1m, but I tend to have a personal preference for a stronger flavored tea. Usually 1:20 is the shortest I steep Taiwanese oolongs for and those tend to be Baozhong which aren't rolled into balls.
I'm always willing to experiment though.
Interesting because I’m under the impression you prefer lighter fair :) maybe that’s becasuse we shared your delicate Korean Woojeon green tea.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:49 pm

Shine Magical wrote:
Glad to see it serves you well!
I find the subtle influence of diverse members' postings also having an impact on my tea-/ware budget :oops:
Previously unknown desires become ardent urges, haha
Tillerman
Vendor

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:36 pm

Victoria wrote:
Shine Magical wrote:
Ethan Kurland wrote:
Yes it’s nice when you have a tea and teaware from other members, kind of like having them as visitors in your home. Curious, have you tried less time? With 5.5gr/110ml I typically go to 1min. on 1st and 2nd steeps.
Wow - and I thought I liked really extracted tea! I use 6 g per 100 ml (that's 20% more leaf than you but...), boiling water and a first steep of 25 seconds for most gaoshan and 35 seconds for Muzha TGY or Roasted DD. I cut the second steep by 5 seconds and then work up gradually from there. If I initially went to 60 seconds, much less anything more, I would find (and, sadly, have found when I've screwed up - which is altogether too often) the tea to be unpleasantly bitter. I'll need to experiment some more.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:49 pm
Shine Magical wrote:
Glad to see it serves you well!
I find the subtle influence of diverse members' postings also having an impact on my tea-/ware budget :oops:
Previously unknown desires become ardent urges, haha
As a toast to the community, I just reduced my wood-fired kyusu again! By the way made by teacher of the potter that made Shine Magicals pot ;)
Teachronicles

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:12 am

Victoria wrote:
Shine Magical wrote:
Ethan Kurland wrote:

Just this morning as I was savoring HY Chen’s medium roast DongDing, I was thinking why I like quality Taiwanese oolong so much; along with wonderful aroma and flavor profiles is the viscosity and thicker body that coats the mouth. It has a presence that lasts and lingers in such an enjoyable way.
I've also found more consistent thick texture in Taiwanese oolongs, tho I think I've been spoiled with sources like floating leaves tea and HY chen.
chofmann
Vendor

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Teachronicles wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:12 am
I've also found more consistent thick texture in Taiwanese oolongs, tho I think I've been spoiled with sources like floating leaves tea and HY chen.
With Chen's and other high quality teas, generally speaking, I believe there is a very noticeable 'cleanliness' to the taste. Hard to put into words exactly, but I've experienced it across all of Chen's teas as well as several other premium teas (both in and out of Taiwan).
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:10 pm

Shine Magical wrote:
in the 110 ml Taiwanese clay pot Bok sent me.
An extra bonus to having that pot now, is that the master of that shop veered away from producing pots that way (& I assume, perhaps incorrectly, has taken his students with him) towards a very dull looking, unfinished style.

For the unglazed inside, glazed outside, I was tempted by Korean teaware (porcelain) but it was too expensive for me at the time. I wonder whether anyone is using that for roasted tea. Comments?

Cheers