What Oolong Are You Drinking

Semi-oxidized tea
plod

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:56 am

Very nice setup, Bok. Simple, but exquisite.

A different kind of simple: I'm looking for not too expensive everyday oolong, to brew at work (office or on the go). Most days this will mean 3-5 grams in a large brew basket and my handleless double walled mug (a killer combo in my work bag or even pocket), usually but not always two-three steeps. So I won't be wasting HY Chen's teas this way, as they deserve attention and multiple steeps.

Recently finished of the Wu Ling from TfT for this purpose, and while completely drinkable, I could have just as well used an inexpensive tea with more immediate qualities. And actually, I might prefer lighter, aromatic teas in this setting, specially if sharing with less hardened criminals/tea heads (=everyone). Previously had good experiences with Eco-Cha in this range, both the Jin Xuan and the Shan Li Xi. Any suggestions for other vendors? Actually price is not the main issue, I just need the right kind of tea for the gig, if that makes sense...
gatmcm

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:22 am

plod wrote:

A different kind of simple: I'm looking for not too expensive everyday oolong, to brew at work (office or on the go). Most days this will mean 3-5 grams in a large brew basket and my handleless double walled mug (a killer combo in my work bag or even pocket), usually but not always two-three steeps.
My go to for a while (until I finished it) was some high fire tgy from fukien tea co, I bought it from adventureineverycup.com but other vendors probably carry it too, jay should know better than me as he's based in hk, though it didnt gongfu very well the flavours worked great grandpa style so it became a no frills drinker that I could drink out with no gear
Bok
Vendor

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:21 am

plod wrote:
A different kind of simple: I'm looking for not too expensive everyday oolong, to brew at work (office or on the go). Most days this will mean 3-5 grams in a large brew basket and my handleless double walled mug (a killer combo in my work bag or even pocket), usually but not always two-three steeps. So I won't be wasting HY Chen's teas this way, as they deserve attention and multiple steeps.
I think you can ask him for cheaper everyday versions, some of his teas are from other farms, so he might be able to procure economic teas. His Shanlinxi for example is a lot less impressive (also not his own).
Bok
Vendor

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:37 am

plod wrote:
I just need the right kind of tea for the gig, if that makes sense...
For this kind of lazy everyday brewing, I have found more oxidised, lightly roasted – or even heavily Taiwanese oolongs quite good. Think a cheap Dongding style tea. Maybe need to test until you get the grammage right so it fits your flavor profile. You might even find something that fits the bill in your local Chinese food shop or Chinatown if available. If you lower yourself to that standard again, sometimes hard when exposed to good teas too long…

The greener ones loose steam to early. Jinxuan is a bit risky, as the cheap ones tend to be fakes with added aromas. I’d stay away from them.
Black teas are also not so suitable in my experience, too hard to keep the bitterness and acidity in check.

Another thought why not stack up gongfu infusions in a thermos?
More control, better taste.
joelbct

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:16 pm

Just had this 2017 Doomni Assam Oolong again.

Many floral and fruit notes. Bright, brisk. Not tannic. No harsh notes.

Pleasant surprise to find a good Oolong at sealevel- it doesn't exactly have that high mountain mineral taste, but the estate is well-regarded and must have good terroir.

I'm sure it's an assamica-heavy hybrid (afaik, most Indian tea is at least somewhat hybridized btwn both var.s). Probably lightly oxidized bec it tastes a bit like some India white teas, though more complex, fruity/flowery.

Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:56 pm

Interesting what you write about the hybridization of Indian tea, Joel. The Ruby Jade 18 (black tea) that I drink has been featuring flavor & notes similar to your description of that oolong. Cheers
plod

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:37 am

Bok wrote:
plod wrote:
I just need the right kind of tea for the gig, if that makes sense...
For this kind of lazy everyday brewing, I have found more oxidised, lightly roasted – or even heavily Taiwanese oolongs quite good. Think a cheap Dongding style tea. Maybe need to test until you get the grammage right so it fits your flavor profile. You might even find something that fits the bill in your local Chinese food shop or Chinatown if available. If you lower yourself to that standard again, sometimes hard when exposed to good teas too long…

The greener ones loose steam to early. Jinxuan is a bit risky, as the cheap ones tend to be fakes with added aromas. I’d stay away from them.
Black teas are also not so suitable in my experience, too hard to keep the bitterness and acidity in check.

Agree that many relatively cheap, high fired and/or oxidised oolongs fare well when brewed this way! I have an ample amount of a fairly decent dong ding, a bunch of Shui Xian and some Tie Luo Han for this.

The thing is, I often crave somewhat lighter Taiwanese oolongs, and I also like the refreshing yet calming effect that many of these have on me. In the office, the aromas become more important too, as it adds to the ambience (instant spa). So a decent mid-range Shan Li Xi or Alishan could do the trick! Your previous advice is probably the way to go - ask HY for a no frills tea, so it won't be sacrilege to put it in a basket, but still taste good. Anyone tried his less demanding (brew-wise) offerings?
plod

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:47 am

Bok wrote:
You might even find something that fits the bill in your local Chinese food shop or Chinatown if available. If you lower yourself to that standard again, sometimes hard when exposed to good teas too long…
As you say, going all the way back to the cheap, generic and probably Vietnamese "Formosa Special"/"Tieguanyin"/"Dong Ding"/"Hairy Milky Eyes" (names become irrelevant and pretty random at that point), is rough after tasting the good stuff. Was very useful for staying awake and more or less centred when writing last minute papers through the years of University, though. Impossible to sleep afterwards, so being young and in an endlessly celebratory mood was convenient. Wide eyed oolong and pseudo-academics until 5:15 AM (ref. Berrigan), followed by a day of booze, dancing and then finally sleep. Never again, and that goes for the quality of both tea and life.
Bok wrote:
I have not yet found a thermos that doesn't affect the flavour of my teas, after three or four different models I've given up. Also prefer to brew fresh, enjoy the aromas and the ritual, however unceremonious.
tealifehk
Vendor

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:23 pm

Drinking the last of a sample of high fire shuixian from a HK vendor. The vendor has a shockingly nice collection of F1 pots, but at nosebleed prices. Their better shuixian is amazing, but very expensive. I feel this shuixian is overpriced for the quality, although it's decent drinking. Quite sour but nice and deep flavor. It also seems to have improved after resting for most of a year.

I feel this tea is ok, but not a good price/quality ratio and not good enough for the site. Tonight's session was a goodbye to a tea I wasn't overly enthusiastic about. It's better tonight, but still not good enough!
CWarren

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:01 pm

Creamy buttercream frosting, sweet corn and mango with some of the cotton candy aromatics from the dry leaf also present in the soup. A nice blend of sweet and savory. Pleasantly surprised with this milk flavored oolong. Spring 2016 Taiwan 'Jin Xuan' Milk Oolong Tea from What-Cha.
442500AD-3CDE-4616-A58C-DB28B10FA2B9.jpeg
442500AD-3CDE-4616-A58C-DB28B10FA2B9.jpeg (255.55 KiB) Viewed 17041 times
Victoria
Admin

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:18 am

CWarren wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:01 pm
Creamy buttercream frosting, sweet corn and mango with some of the cotton candy aromatics from the dry leaf also present in the soup. A nice blend of sweet and savory. Pleasantly surprised with this milk flavored oolong. Spring 2016 Taiwan 'Jin Xuan' Milk Oolong Tea from What-Cha.
Gotta love the sound of that, and your active shots bring it on really nicely.
I’ve been going into neglected bins lately, finishing off some oolongs that are pretty okay, but just not stellar. Sometimes that seems fine also, especially if I’m totally distracted. Mountain Tea’s, Spring Mountain Oolong; pretty nice for the price, smooth light sweet if steeped around190F. I ordered a selection of their oolongs earlier this year, after my brick and mortar shop Bird Pick closed, thinking I’d like to get tea sold locally. They distribute out of LA.
debunix

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:42 am

plod wrote:
Very nice setup, Bok. Simple, but exquisite.

Recently finished of the Wu Ling from TfT for this purpose, and while completely drinkable, I could have just as well used an inexpensive tea with more immediate qualities. And actually, I might prefer lighter, aromatic teas in this setting, specially if sharing with less hardened criminals/tea heads (=everyone). Previously had good experiences with Eco-Cha in this range, both the Jin Xuan and the Shan Li Xi. Any suggestions for other vendors? Actually price is not the main issue, I just need the right kind of tea for the gig, if that makes sense...
For this kind of brewing, I like my SeaDyke TKY--simple and reliable; shou puerh; and not the fanciest grades of light roast or traditional roast TGY or Taiwanese mountain oolongs. Lots of options. I avoid the nicest teas that deserve better, and the teas that need more careful brewing (sheng pu, Dancong oolongs, some Wuyi oolongs, most green teas).
plod

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:11 pm

debunix wrote:
For this kind of brewing, I like my SeaDyke TKY--simple and reliable; shou puerh; and not the fanciest grades of light roast or traditional roast TGY or Taiwanese mountain oolongs. Lots of options. I avoid the nicest teas that deserve better, and the teas that need more careful brewing (sheng pu, Dancong oolongs, some Wuyi oolongs, most green teas).
I concur! Reasonably priced wuyi and lao cha tou are very good for these situations. An order of "make shipping great again"-proportions from Yunnan Sourcing about a year ago has me covered on both accounts, probably for at least another year.

Looking for recommendations in the last category: "not the fanciest grades of light roast or traditional roast TGY or Taiwanese mountain oolongs".
Victoria
Admin

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:17 pm

plod wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:11 pm
debunix wrote:
I concur! Reasonably priced wuyi and lao cha tou are very good for these situations. An order of "make shipping great again"-proportions from Yunnan Sourcing about a year ago has me covered on both accounts, probably for at least another year.

Looking for recommendations in the last category: "not the fanciest grades of light roast or traditional roast TGY or Taiwanese mountain oolongs".
Okay, I'd just ask HY Chen for his unlisted 'Roasted High Mountain' Oolong. He had it listed last year so I just keep ordering it. It is both very good and very reasonably priced. Mon Dieu! I even mix it with his pricier Heavy and Medium Roasted 100 year garden oolongs ;)
plod

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:22 pm

I finally made some progress with the HY Chen Lishan. Decided to go with Victoria's parameters: 8.5 grams for about 100ml of water, but perhaps more importantly, I brewed in a small clay teapot. I only have the one, and haven't been too fond of it, but it really worked wonders with this tea. The pot is actually 140ml when empty, but yields 80-100ml of tea once the leaves have had their first drink and expanded.

Steep times were 60s, 60s, 90s, 2min, 3 min, 4 min, last two tracks on the A-side of Joni Mitchell's "Gentle hissing of summer lawns", the entire B-side of the same Mitchell album, then a whole album and the time to cook a risotto.

This time I got the thick, buttery sweetness that others have mentioned. Incredible mouthfeel, long aftertaste, very enjoyable.