What Oolong Are You Drinking

Semi-oxidized tea
Tillerman
Vendor

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:17 am

True Fushoushan tea is very hard to obtain as it is sold in Taiwan on a subscription basis. Thanks to the kindness of my dear friend Karen Chen, I have a small amount. This is a special treat!
burritofingers

Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:13 pm

Drinking this Baozhong, pictured below. Unfortunately, the seller did not offer too much information, other than the fact that it's from Pinling. I've never tried another Baozhong, so I don't have anything to compare it to. This being said, it is delicious and incredibly refreshing. I get a very vegital taste from it for an oolong, which makes sense, considering it's a Baozhong. I love this tea in the mid days of summer!

Steeping it in a 100 ml gaiwan, with three grams of tea. 30s, 45s, 60s, then building in 8 second increments from there. 195 degrees.
20180623_120300.jpg
20180623_120300.jpg (193.96 KiB) Viewed 7854 times
Attachments
20180623_120708.jpg
20180623_120708.jpg (267.84 KiB) Viewed 7854 times
Last edited by Victoria on Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Edit: removed duplicate image
Bok
Vendor

Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:22 pm

That looks unusual for a Baozhong... normally the leaves are open not rolled like yours!
burritofingers

Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:34 am

Bok wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:22 pm
That looks unusual for a Baozhong... normally the leaves are open not rolled like yours!
Interesting - this was my first Baozhong but I have more in the mail. Now I'm excited to compare it to a more standard one
Rui

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:04 am

Brent D wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:32 am
Rui wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:51 am
Competition Grade Tie Guan Yin of Gande Village Spring 2018 from Yunnan Sourcing.
How is it this year? The 2017 was great.
Been waiting for jings TGY, but it hasnt showed up yet. YS seems to be the only place that does have 2018 TGY.
My wife and I are enjoying this year's very much. In our personal opinion it is not behind 2017 version, on the contrary we are enjoying it even more this year but that is our individual taste.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:59 pm

Revisiting Te Company’s, Graceful Hill; a lightly roasted oolong from the Jinxuan cultivar, grown on the Pacific coast in Dongshan, Yilan County. This was a little light last time I steeped it, so I added more leaf resulting in a richer brew. It’s creamy buttery sweet, an elegant oolong. Notes of evergreen come through, or as Elena noted, mountain fern.
burritofingers

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:28 pm

Victoria wrote:
Revisiting Te Company’s, Graceful Hill; a lightly roasted oolong from the Jinxuan cultivar, grown on the Pacific coast in Dongshan, Yilan County. This was a little light last time I steeped it, so I added more leaf resulting in a richer brew. It’s creamy buttery sweet, an elegant oolong. Notes of evergreen come through, or as Elena noted, mountain fern.
Hello Victoria! That sounds so delicious -- I just ordered some. Buttery evergreen flavors sound excellent, and like nothing I've ever had! May I ask how you're brewing it?
Victoria
Admin

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:16 pm

burritofingers wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Hello Victoria! That sounds so delicious -- I just ordered some. Buttery evergreen flavors sound excellent, and like nothing I've ever had! May I ask how you're brewing it?
Caveat, I steep stronger than some prefer. Started out with 6gr/100ml/205f/45sec, in 120ml F1 hongni shuiping. Increased leaf to 7.4gr.
I see you are in LA, have you joined our LA tea club on Facebook? A few members are in your part of town. Mostly, serious puerh and oolong drinkers, with everyone enjoying Japanese and high quality Indian when offered.
burritofingers

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:15 am

Victoria wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:16 pm
burritofingers wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Caveat, I steep stronger than some prefer. Started out with 6gr/100ml/205f/45sec, in 120ml F1 hongni shuiping. Increased leaf to 7.4gr.
I see you are in LA, have you joined our LA tea club on Facebook? A few members are in your part of town. Mostly, serious puerh and oolong drinkers, with everyone enjoying Japanese and high quality Indian when offered.
Awesome! I'll let you know how that goes with my zini once it arrives. Thank you.
I haven't joined the club yet, as couldn't figure which one it was on Facebook. Could you send me the name or a link, please? I'd be very interested in joining!
Victoria
Admin

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:21 am

burritofingers wrote:

Awesome! I'll let you know how that goes with my zini once it arrives. Thank you.
I haven't joined the club yet, as couldn't figure which one it was on Facebook. Could you send me the name or a link, please? I'd be very interested in joining!
Here is the link and some posts, the name got sort of long; viewtopic.php?f=52&t=63
For lighter oolongs, I can recommend hongni, zhuni, or Shimizu Ken's shudei pots.
burritofingers

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:50 am

Victoria wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:21 am
burritofingers wrote:

Here is the link and some posts, the name got sort of long; viewtopic.php?f=52&t=63
For lighter oolongs, I can recommend hongni, zhuni, or Shimizu Ken's shudei pots.
Thank you for the recommendations! I'll look into those once my budget allows :)

I just requested to join the club. Thanks again, Victoria!
Victoria
Admin

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:52 pm

Look forward to meeting you and sharing tea.

Today I went for HY Chen’s special select oolongs; Charcoal Light Roasted Wild Garden DongDing steeped in 125ml hongni F1 shuiping & Charcoal Light Roasted DaYuLing in a new Hokujo 220ml backhandle mogake kyusu. These are both very special indeed, it was a treat to steep these back to back, and eventually overlap the steeps. He has been experimenting with roasting higher altitude select oolongs like DaYuLing and FuShoushan. Takes a certain courage to roast such fine oolongs, the results are impressive, made me reflect on the subtle differences found in fine wines.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:43 am

Victoria wrote:
... He has been experimenting with roasting higher altitude select oolongs like DaYuLing and FuShoushan. Takes a certain courage to roast such fine oolongs, the results are impressive, made me reflect on the subtle differences found in fine wines.
If someone is able to roast and/or age tea leaves that already are special, to get a product that is not worse and is as special in another way--great. I have enjoyed organic leaves from the top of LiShan that were oxidized greatly, roasted most carefully, & aged for a few years to create unique tea. I appreciate what Victoria writes about subtle wines.

On the other hand, drinking leaves that were not quite as special when picked yet treated to the same treatment, I sometimes find the difference between the best and next-to-best is small. So, I wonder whether one should "experiment" with the very best leaves.

The difference between roasted & unroasted is not subtle for me; they are different types of tea. I do enjoy some roasted TGY though I cannot remember liking unroasted TGY.

I would like to taste various degrees of oxidation of excellent leaves, even beyond light, medium, or heavily oxidized. Perhaps six choices of oxidation of the same leaves.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:37 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:43 am
Victoria wrote:
... He has been experimenting with roasting higher altitude select oolongs like DaYuLing and FuShoushan. Takes a certain courage to roast such fine oolongs, the results are impressive, made me reflect on the subtle differences found in fine wines.
If someone is able to roast and/or age tea leaves that already are special, to get a product that is not worse and is as special in another way--great. I have enjoyed organic leaves from the top of LiShan that were oxidized greatly, roasted most carefully, & aged for a few years to create unique tea. I appreciate what Victoria writes about subtle wines.

On the other hand, drinking leaves that were not quite as special when picked yet treated to the same treatment, I sometimes find the difference between the best and next-to-best is small. So, I wonder whether one should "experiment" with the very best leaves.

The difference between roasted & unroasted is not subtle for me; they are different types of tea. I do enjoy some roasted TGY though I cannot remember liking unroasted TGY.

I would like to taste various degrees of oxidation of excellent leaves, even beyond light, medium, or heavily oxidized. Perhaps six choices of oxidation of the same leaves.
Now that would be an interesting tasting Ethan. Thomas Shu, Taiwan Tea Ambasador to USA :) , has done a few tastings like this here in LA, although I have not participated in them yet. To really fine tune the tasting, the age of each oolong would need to be calibrated with levels of roasting, going from fresh to increasingly greater degrees of roasting/aging.

Right now, I am having a medium roasted Muzha Tieguanyin that is just so so, nothing very special. Is it inferior leaves, or inferior roasting, or both, or does it need to age...mmm or maybe I should I try and re-roast it to see if it improves..
Brent D

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:12 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:17 am
True Fushoushan tea is very hard to obtain as it is sold in Taiwan on a subscription basis. Thanks to the kindness of my dear friend Karen Chen, I have a small amount. This is a special treat!
Feel free to sneak a few grams into the order I just placed;) lol