What Oolong Are You Drinking

Semi-oxidized tea
Andrew S

Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:33 pm

Early morning fully-roasted shiru, before the day gets too hot.

I tried it with a heavy hand before, but it really needs a lighter touch than I thought ('lighter touch' is relative - it's still 8g in 60mL). I think it would have been wasted on me if I had just tried a single sample instead of a full packet.

@polezaivsani: I think this is a better view of the little pot that you got a glimpse of in one of the posts above...

Andrew
Attachments
_MG_0764.jpg
_MG_0764.jpg (155.06 KiB) Viewed 44609 times
Bok
Vendor

Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:20 pm

Andrew S wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:33 pm
Early morning fully-roasted shiru, before the day gets too hot.

I tried it with a heavy hand before, but it really needs a lighter touch than I thought ('lighter touch' is relative - it's still 8g in 60mL). I think it would have been wasted on me if I had just tried a single sample instead of a full packet.

polezaivsani: I think this is a better view of the little pot that you got a glimpse of in one of the posts above...

Andrew
Still amazes how the light in your place brings out a certain soft quality to these pots (especially for pots I know well ; ) )
Andrew S

Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:27 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:20 pm
Still amazes how the light in your place brings out a certain soft quality to these pots (especially for pots I know well ; ) )
Just a trick of the light (and in this case, the magic of the morning light). Your pot does seem to like this tea, so it'll probably poke its head out for more photos in the near future.

Andrew
polezaivsani

Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:58 pm

@Bok, if you'd ever be considering ramping up your stoneware shop, then I'd earnestly advise you to partner with @Andrew S for mouthwatering shots. Admitting that with a heavy heart though since I yearn for such tender impressions to spread on the matching personal connections. The idea hasn't sprouted fully yet, so you still have ample time to up your shop :).
Bok
Vendor

Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:13 pm

polezaivsani wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:58 pm
Bok, if you'd ever be considering ramping up your stoneware shop, then I'd earnestly advise you to partner with Andrew S for mouthwatering shots. Admitting that with a heavy heart though since I yearn for such tender impressions to spread on the matching personal connections. The idea hasn't sprouted fully yet, so you still have ample time to up your shop :).
As tempting as that may be, shipping pots back and fourth for that soft Aussie-light would make something already luxurious even further out of reach...
polezaivsani

Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:20 pm

@Bok, I would guess @Andrew S to being humble there in putting it all on the lighting there. Admittedly, I doubt shipping the photographer would be any cheaper =).

Edit: murmuring to self, noting that there is so much priceless involved here.
Darrel

Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:40 am

Jin Xuan light charcoal pit fired oolong. Happy Saturday!
TeaLoverJuang

Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:19 am

I fell in love with oolong when I read on the blog that it helps to lose weight! So now I drink this tea quite often. For me, Biluochun is tastier - it has a more fruity flavor. I like to add a few drops of lemon juice to it. My husband likes Longjing more because it is sweet and can be drunk without sugar or any
Last edited by pedant on Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod edit: link removed
Darrel

Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:54 pm

High mountain heritage Dong Ding.

Darrel

Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:08 pm

Been enjoying my oolongs a lot these days. This one is high mountain heritage wuyi. Thinking about aging some as a home project. Anyone have experience ?
Bok
Vendor

Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:06 pm

Darrel wrote:

Been enjoying my oolongs a lot these days. This one is high mountain heritage wuyi. Thinking about aging some as a home project. Anyone have experience ?
Oolong is not so hard to age, you only need patience. Preferably larger amounts(1-2kilos), stored airtight at least 5y before you try first how it changes, then for best results wait until at least 10y. Small amounts just best left in sealed original packaging.

But, the yancha that would be worth aging, you wouldn't be able to buy in kilo-amounts, as it's a substantial investment... or is that a Taiwan Wuyi cultivar?
Darrel

Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:27 am

Bok wrote:
Darrel wrote:

Oolong is not so hard to age, you only need patience. Preferably larger amounts(1-2kilos), stored airtight at least 5y before you try first how it changes, then for best results wait until at least 10y. Small amounts just best left in sealed original packaging.

But, the yancha that would be worth aging, you wouldn't be able to buy in kilo-amounts, as it's a substantial investment... or is that a Taiwan Wuyi cultivar?
Thank you for the information! I ordered a few samples from Taiwan tea crafts and found them to all be good. The samples come in vacuum sealed bags, are those good enough for aging? I have a few tins I can keep them in as well. Do you have a favorite vendor for oolong? Only used Taiwan tea crafts and yunnan sourcing so far.

Thanks again !
Bok
Vendor

Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:02 am

Darrel wrote:
Bok wrote:
Darrel wrote:

Thank you for the information! I ordered a few samples from Taiwan tea crafts and found them to all be good. The samples come in vacuum sealed bags, are those good enough for aging? I have a few tins I can keep them in as well. Do you have a favorite vendor for oolong? Only used Taiwan tea crafts and yunnan sourcing so far.

Thanks again !
Leave as is in the bags. Tin is not right enough.

I live in Taiwan so I don’t frequent above mentioned brands. They are Western facing shops.
Darrel

Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:47 am

Bok wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:02 am
Darrel wrote:
Bok wrote:

Thanks again !
Leave as is in the bags. Tin is not right enough.

I live in Taiwan so I don’t frequent above mentioned brands. They are Western facing shops.
Thanks for the information you provided. I appreciate it very much.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:56 am

Enjoying some Lishan and ‘Diva’ High Mountain from Floating Leaves today. I liked them so much that this is my second order in just a few months. Now that Tillerman has sadly shuttered his shop, I feel we are very lucky in the US to have Floating Leaves still in Seattle. @Darrel they source very good high mountain and Baozong as well. Since you are in Massachusetts you might also try Té Company out of NYC for roasted and more oxidized oolong like Oriental Beauty. Both companies go to Taiwan yearly to source their teas.

Almost forgot Ethan, fellow TF member, he’s out of Massachusetts as well, and directly sources teas from Taiwan. These recommendations are just for vendors in US, you can look at our Oolong Vendor forum for other sources within Taiwan.