Vietnam Oolongs

Semi-oxidized tea
Bok

Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:51 pm

@Tillerman that is a bit more reassuring then if the majority is not being sold as whole leaf tea.

One good spot to get ripped off is at the farms itself (who would suspect?), if one heads up Alishan or Shanlinxi for example. I was warned before not to try buying there, although it can be frustrating to pass tea farm after tea farm and their on-site shops... not all of them of course, but you need connections to know is selling what to know.
wave_code

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:50 am

has anyone tried any of the teas from Siam Teas (www.siam-teas.com)? They have a few Vietnam teas, mostly processed Pu-Erh style. They seem to focus on Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, India, Nepal and seem to try and be very transparent about their standards.
swordofmytriumph

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:44 am

wave_code wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:50 am
has anyone tried any of the teas from Siam Teas (www.siam-teas.com)? They have a few Vietnam teas, mostly processed Pu-Erh style. They seem to focus on Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, India, Nepal and seem to try and be very transparent about their standards.
I have not... but I see it in my future. Just took a look at their offerings and they have some really interesting looking stuff. They have a lightly roasted WHITE tea! That has got to be an interesting experience. Plus, they seem to go into detail on each tea, even with pictures of the processing sometimes, which I appreciate. Seems like it would be a good place to get tea when I want something new and interesting.
Baisao

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:43 pm

I understand the profit motive to pass Vietnamese oolongs as Taiwanese but I would be happier if they could compete with their own localized branding. It’s not a perfect world but how nice it would be for the Vietnamese/Thai farmers and the consumer.