CNNP Tea ID help

Puerh and other heicha
Post Reply
User avatar
Stephen
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:26 pm
Location: Bay Area, California

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:57 pm

I'd appreciate some help identifying this tea. It's supposedly an 8582. It has the "purple sky/heaven" stamp. I've seen that stamp on 8592 shu puer (I've only seen it in pictures, but have sampled the tea.) Was that stamp used on other recipes as well? I'm curious if this tea is misrepresented (fake) or just another CNNP production.
Attachments
20190606_112700.jpg
20190606_112700.jpg (340.58 KiB) Viewed 517 times
20190606_112505.jpg
20190606_112505.jpg (340.34 KiB) Viewed 517 times
20190606_112559.jpg
20190606_112559.jpg (330.94 KiB) Viewed 517 times
Chadrinkincat
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:12 pm

I think Cloud mentioned on his blog that there is only one official purple sky cake which should be a 80-90’s ripe tea.

This stamp has been used on a bunch of random fake teas. Is this tea from BTTC? Looks like one they used to sell.
User avatar
Stephen
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:26 pm
Location: Bay Area, California

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:43 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:12 pm
I think Cloud mentioned on his blog that there is only one official purple sky cake which should be a 80-90’s ripe tea.

This stamp has been used on a bunch of random fake teas. Is this tea from BTTC? Looks like one they used to sell.
Yes, I've only read about the 80-90's 8592 with the purple sky mark. I'm wondering if any other tea had the mark (but perhaps not, besides fake tea!) Yes, it's from them. To me this tea looks and tastes like a 2000-2005 8582 that was stored in moderately humid and clean storage. It is neither a great tea, nor a bad tea.
oolongfan
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:40 am
Location: Indiana, USA

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:57 pm

Stupid question but..who is BTTC?
Chadrinkincat
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:49 pm

Stephen wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:43 pm
Chadrinkincat wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:12 pm
I think Cloud mentioned on his blog that there is only one official purple sky cake which should be a 80-90’s ripe tea.

This stamp has been used on a bunch of random fake teas. Is this tea from BTTC? Looks like one they used to sell.
Yes, I've only read about the 80-90's 8592 with the purple sky mark. I'm wondering if any other tea had the mark (but perhaps not, besides fake tea!) Yes, it's from them. To me this tea looks and tastes like a 2000-2005 8582 that was stored in moderately humid and clean storage. It is neither a great tea, nor a bad tea.
I’d be very surprised if any of their aged teas are older that 2005. That cake looks like it was re wrapped just prior to them acquiring it.
Chadrinkincat
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:51 pm

oolongfan wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:57 pm
Stupid question but..who is BTTC?
Beautiful Taiwan tea company.
User avatar
Stephen
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:26 pm
Location: Bay Area, California

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:48 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:49 pm
I’d be very surprised if any of their aged teas are older that 2005. That cake looks like it was re wrapped just prior to them acquiring it.
Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, unlikely to be what it's described as. It's not unpleasant for tuition tea. :oops: :lol:
TeaZero
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:44 pm

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:36 am

It's important to know that CNNP licensed their brand to many factories between 1996-2003. If the tea is from that period, then it could be genuine, though not made by CNNP themselves. By licensing their brand to others during that period, that's how their brand got damaged. Today, CNNP makes great pu erh, but they never really recovered. Haiwan, Dayi, and Xiaguan are far ahead of CNNP.

Whether it's real or fake, is hard to tell. I would just try the tea, and if the taste is good, just be happy with it!

I found more info about CNNP history here: https://helloteacup.com/2017/09/14/hist ... nnp-cofco/
User avatar
Stephen
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:26 pm
Location: Bay Area, California

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:39 pm

TeaZero wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:36 am
It's important to know that CNNP licensed their brand to many factories between 1996-2003. If the tea is from that period, then it could be genuine, though not made by CNNP themselves. By licensing their brand to others during that period, that's how their brand got damaged. Today, CNNP makes great pu erh, but they never really recovered. Haiwan, Dayi, and Xiaguan are far ahead of CNNP.

Whether it's real or fake, is hard to tell. I would just try the tea, and if the taste is good, just be happy with it!

I found more info about CNNP history here: https://helloteacup.com/2017/09/14/hist ... nnp-cofco/
Thanks for your thoughts and the link. It's certainly drinkable and pleasant enough. I was mostly curious about the stamp and whether or not this tea was what it was claimed to be. I've only seen the stamp associated with CNNP 8592 and not 8582.
mbanu
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 3:45 pm

Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:37 pm

The company that stamped the purple sky teas, Nan Tian Trading, was known for ordering both 8582 and 8592. However, supposedly only 8592 was stamped, as the purpose was to make it easier to distinguish one from the other.

What interests me is how the cha character is almost touching the zhong on the wrapper; I know that genuine cakes have had many variations on this, but have struggled to identify a pattern.
Post Reply