Typhoon damages Puerh in Guandong

Puerh and other heicha
Bok
Vendor

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:29 pm

Just saw some -to Puerh friends- heartbreaking pictures someone posted from Guandong. Whole tea market flooded and 1000s of cakes ruined or getting the extra wet treatment if youwill... :cry:
http://www.puercn.com/puerchanews/scdx/145071.html

(Of course I am not comparing to the much graver loss others have suffered in the course of this typhoon, just as the above concerns our mutual passion)

I expect to see some suspiciously cheap Puerh turning up over time, as I am sure some vendors will not just throw them away, or others will buy up the damage for cheap and resell.

A friend of mine is a pilot and a few of his colleagues had to switch hotel rooms as their windows had been crashed by the winds, scary!
Brent D

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:00 am

I actually just logged on to specifically look for this topic.
I am curious what this will do to the market. All pu from 2018 or earlier, you now have to be suspect of. Im curious on how to inspect a cake to insure it hasnt been soaked. One would think the wrapper would be telltale, but honestly, I have no idea. I know ive had some wet stored cakes that had wrappers with some strange stuff going on.
Do we assume that all cakes are now shu? :lol:
Bok
Vendor

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:41 am

Seems that way :)
I mean wrappers can be changed easily. That alone won’t be enough.
OCTO

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:12 am

Brent D wrote:
I am curious what this will do to the market. All pu from 2018 or earlier, you now have to be suspect of. Im curious on how to inspect a cake to insure it hasnt been soaked. One would think the wrapper would be telltale, but honestly, I have no idea. I know ive had some wet stored cakes that had wrappers with some strange stuff going on.
Leaves that are wet or soaked would have expanded. Look out for Puerh that looks as if the leaves are fused together.... that’s not a good sign. Clean and dry Puerh that are compressed into cakes, bricks, tuo or any other forms would have some gaps in between the leaves. Will try to dig up some photos from my archive and share it here.

Cheers!!
ShuShu

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:43 am

Brent D wrote:
I wouldn't go that far. As far as I know, most damage is in Guangdong, which is an important storage area, but not everything was destroyed (I know of at least 2 vendors that were saved), and puerh is also stored in other places...
VoirenTea

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:51 am

ShuShu wrote:
Brent D wrote:
I wouldn't go that far. As far as I know, most damage is in Guangdong, which is an important storage area, but not everything was destroyed (I know of at least 2 vendors that were saved), and puerh is also stored in other places...
The problem is tea that was soaked being passed off as being fine, or transported to other areas to pretend it was never in the vicinity. Gotta trust your vendor to be looking out for this as well now, which might affect the overall market.
mrmopu

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:15 am

VoirenTea wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:51 am
ShuShu wrote:
Brent D wrote:
The problem is tea that was soaked being passed off as being fine, or transported to other areas to pretend it was never in the vicinity. Gotta trust your vendor to be looking out for this as well now, which might affect the overall market.
+1 on trusting the vendor. Lots of cakes are wrapped a certain way or have a security seal. I think that may eliminate some of the re-wrapping aspect.
tealifehk
Vendor

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:32 pm

I don't think we'll see this tea end up on the market. What we see in the pics is a tiny amount compared to the total amount in storage in Guangdong!
Brent D

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:12 pm

Being that I do trust my sources, I am more concerned about how this will effect market pricing.
I dont keep my finger on the pulse of the price of pu, but im sure that there are those here that do. I would imagine that fluctuations are already being seen.
tealifehk
Vendor

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:21 pm

Brent D wrote:
Being that I do trust my sources, I am more concerned about how this will effect market pricing.
I dont keep my finger on the pulse of the price of pu, but im sure that there are those here that do. I would imagine that fluctuations are already being seen.
This will barely have any effect on the market. Again, this is a miniscule amount of pu erh in the grand scheme of things!
mrmopu

Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:32 pm

Brent D wrote:
You just need to get to know the vendors I know. I know this won't be an issue to them. Its the puerh double check. :D