Toss the scraps from your cake?

Puerh and other heicha
braden87

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:13 pm

swordofmytriumph wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:33 am
Usually I pick out the bigger pieces of debris and toss the smaller bits and the dust.
This is similar to my strategy. I want about 50/50 big chunk to whole single leaf ratio, so I skim through the free material but only use whole leaves to make up half. Apparently it's broken leaves that increase leached bitterness and astringency, so I try my best to not break any leaves and end up with 50/50 chunk to leaf. The loose stuff makes the tea get rolling after a quick rinse or two, and the chunks hold it up over time.

You toss the bits, though? I throw mine all in a ziplock to use for iced tea.
swordofmytriumph

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:19 pm

braden87 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:13 pm
You toss the bits, though? I throw mine all in a ziplock to use for iced tea.
For some reason it hadn’t occurred to me to make iced tea out of it. I’ll def be doing that in the future. :D
d.manuk

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:50 pm

It's one of my pet peeves with puer even though I love it. Every other high quality tea is treated with utmost care, and yet even high quality puer is pressed into cakes that will inevitably create more than a few broken leaves. I try to go for good quality maocha instead if it's an option or looser pressed cakes for this reason. I love when I can gently pull apart a loosely pressed cake though... makes me feel like I solved a hard puzzle. :lol:

To answer the question directly -- No way am I going to brew dust or even smaller broken leaves (for any tea).
Nis

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:34 am

Teachronicles wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:09 pm
I just brew the larger bits with the chunk I broke off and then save the rest in the bag im storing the tea In at the time. Every so often I'll throw all the stuff at the bottom of a bag Into a pot and make teaspresso.
Hmm, wonder how well a mokka pot would work :geek:
wave_code

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:52 am

this occurred to me of course just a couple days after tossing a bunch of tiny bits/dust after breaking up a cake...
maybe better than a percolator (and less harsh) would be to use a really fine strainer. give one quick wash, then do a very fine pour slowly moving around, like pour over coffee. I've seen this as a method for making chong shi cha.
beachape

Sat May 18, 2019 9:56 pm

I am always tempted to use the little bits/dust when I have a sample of something very expensive. However, I almost always regret it because the little bits make the brew too bitter and will invariably clog up the spout of the pot making the problem worse. I now just toss these bits. I have come to terms with the fact that I'll lose about 10% of cakes and samples due to this.
tealifehk
Vendor

Sun May 19, 2019 8:14 pm

The little bits are also good for big pot brewing: they'll settle to the bottom. Good way to use em up!
mudandleaves
Vendor

Mon May 20, 2019 9:24 am

tealifehk wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:14 pm
The little bits are also good for big pot brewing: they'll settle to the bottom. Good way to use em up!
+1 This is what I like to do.