Recommended ripes from YS?

Puerh and other heicha
Balthazar

Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:35 am

I thought about picking up a cake of the 2017 Rooster King a while back, since it got so much good feedback, but as usual ended up postponing it.... Today I remembered that I need to buy some ripe pu for the winter, but of course the Rooster King is now sold out.

Any recommendations for other ripes sold by YS? (Could be YS brand or other brand.) It will be consumed in the coming autumn/winter, so I'm not buying for long time storage. Something ready to be consumed right away is what I am looking for.

Price wise I don't have a fixed limit. The Rooster King was $30 for 250g, which is not cheap for ripe pu. Something in that ballpark (doesn't matter if its a bit higher and definitely not if it's lower) is what I am thinking about.
gatmcm

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:53 am

I'm fond of dayi ripes, I find that even young they don't have any offensive off flavours, usually keep a cake or two for drinking here and there since they're cheap.
Right now im going through the 2016 aged aroma ys sells and its pretty good.
d.manuk

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:31 am

Balthazar

Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:41 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Quite familiar with the standard dayi recipes, and I agree, they are safe and a good bang for the buck even when young.

The HLH brick is ... very interesting. A bit pricey, even the gram price of the kilo brick, but since it's HLH I might just grab a sample or two just to try it out.
d.manuk

Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:56 pm

Balthazar wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Quite familiar with the standard dayi recipes, and I agree, they are safe and a good bang for the buck even when young.

The HLH brick is ... very interesting. A bit pricey, even the gram price of the kilo brick, but since it's HLH I might just grab a sample or two just to try it out.
I tried all of the HLH ripes and this one was my favorite and if I recall one of the least expensive of the HLH ripes.
gregcss

Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:08 pm

Shine Magical wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:56 pm
Balthazar wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I tried all of the HLH ripes and this one was my favorite and if I recall one of the least expensive of the HLH ripes.
I bought a sample of the HLH "Yi Shan Mo" a couple months ago and have used it all up by now. It really is one of the best ripe puerhs I've had. As a reference, I mostly have YS brand ripes such as rooster king, YiWu rooster and others. $12.50 for 25 grams is one thing, but since the next size up is 1 kilo it is a big commitment. One of these days maybe. Crimson Lotus "black gold" is another good one but also $$.
Rickpatbrown

Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:36 pm

I ordered about a dozen samples. Not much rhyme or reason to choices. I don't really know what I'm doing, but

https://yunnansourcing.com/products/201 ... h-tea-cake was my favorite out of all of them. Very interesting tea that changed a lot as the session proceeded. Expensive, though at 56$/ 250g cake.

https://yunnansourcing.com/products/201 ... h-tea-cake This one scored a 7/10 on my super scientific scoring system (average score 5/6). It was on the darker side (bitter chocolate/coffee/chalk) and creamy. I thought it finished with an aged sheng flavor. It was also 56$/250g cake.

I find YS quite overwhelming. There's just so much to choose from. It also seems that a good portion of my samples end up tasting very similar. Not sure if that is me, or the tea.
John_B

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:30 pm

This is completely off topic (should be deleted back out by a moderator) but Moychay carries a really nice selection of shou pu'er, at a good range of prices.

It seems like they've not developed in awareness as a supplier on that Yunnan Sourcing level yet but for shou I'd expect they're not different, except that they sell in-house produced teas.

That really is kind of a problem. I've been reviewing those teas, since they sent a good number for review, but otherwise feedback on how good they are, or what they're like in character beyond "good," just wouldn't be out there. Their website descriptions don't fill that gap either; the shou descriptions tend to all read about the same. All shou shares some amount of scope, I suppose, but it's the part that varies that describes them.

Another problem is that they're going through stock; that company is expanding (number of physical shops), and online sales are, and that means they haven't planned for what demand is going to be over this time frame a few years ago. On the opposite side of that they'll probably correct for being underpriced for level of demand in the next year or two so they are in that window where unusual values are still there.

I've seen that correct in lots of cases, usually not because a more local company is expanding into other markets, more because a vendor is new instead and hasn't settled on mark-up rates that make sense (not really their case). Yunnan Sourcing has evened off related to that (until demand actually changes); it's just nice they try to keep that moderate as a matter of standard approach. What I've tried of Dayi / Taetea versions from them have been nice, but then just what one would expect.
Stephen

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:35 pm

I just revisited the 2006 Fuhai 7576. I like it, it's coming along nicely. If I remember right the 2005 Fuhai Special Order 7576 is also good if you like smaller leaf. I also like the 2003 Xinghai Elephant Valley, although the price has increased since I purchased. All Guangdong stored.

The 2002 Nan Jian Te Zhi ripe is a favorite for it's relaxing energy. I also like the 2009 Big Classic Remote Mountain. I think of it as more modern style and invigorating. Price of those has increased since I purchased. The 2015 Jiu Wan Impression is also a favorite. It tastes older than it's age to me. All Kunming stored

I like the Yunnan Sourcing Hui Run series as I like Bulang tea. The Green Miracle and Immortal Monkey are good too, although I wasn't that excited the last time I tasted them.
gregcss

Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Rickpatbrown wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:36 pm
I ordered about a dozen samples. Not much rhyme or reason to choices. I don't really know what I'm doing, but

https://yunnansourcing.com/products/201 ... h-tea-cake was my favorite out of all of them. Very interesting tea that changed a lot as the session proceeded. Expensive, though at 56$/ 250g cake.

https://yunnansourcing.com/products/201 ... h-tea-cake This one scored a 7/10 on my super scientific scoring system (average score 5/6). It was on the darker side (bitter chocolate/coffee/chalk) and creamy. I thought it finished with an aged sheng flavor. It was also 56$/250g cake.

I find YS quite overwhelming. There's just so much to choose from. It also seems that a good portion of my samples end up tasting very similar. Not sure if that is me, or the tea.
The yiwu rooster is a good one to drink now. I've been shopping from YS for many years and sometimes I still become indecisive because there are so many options. Go with samples or pick one that you think you may like, and in the next order choose something different.